Thread: Helmets?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Helmets?

What kind of helmets is everyone using? I was going to get an open face style like in the link below. Is there any purpose to the closed face ones with a shield being in a closed car?

http://www.soloracer.com/gfgf750.html

I still use the same open face helmet I had in the 70's ,,,,lol. It has that nastalgia look to it that fits the car I generally race most of the time.

Some tracks now are getting picky on the snell ratings. It would be best to check NHRA rules, as I forget what they require now.

Mine is in no way even close to the snell ratings they require but around here it hasn't been an issue yet.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

HJC Carbon Vader

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

I'm with ya buddy. I don't like the closed face helmets. I feel closed in and claustrophobic. All I can hear is myself breathing when I'm going down the track.

Open faced all the way. My local track (Atco) actually only rents open faced helmets, so they have to be safe...right?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think once you get your license, you have to have a closed face helmet. Though you couldn't pay me for the extra risk of an open face helmet on a slower car.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

what extra risk? I could see the risk if you're on a bike. But when you're in a car with seatbelts and airbags, I would think an open face would be enough.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Risk like a fire or an object that has been knocked loose during the wreck. I've seen some really crazy stuff happen and call me paranoid if you want, but I'll pay a little more and be safer.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Risk like a fire or an object that has been knocked loose during the wreck. I've seen some really crazy stuff happen and call me paranoid if you want, but I'll pay a little more and be safer.
    You should have said that sooner! I got the open face one. After I get more power I'll get a different helmet then too. That'll be awhile seeing I'm going to focus on getting the truck finished. I want to run a few races this summer too.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Sorry, didn't see the thread till today.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

That's alright. I think I should be ok until I get a different power mill. Still finishing up the suspension, chassis and drive line mods first. I don't want to break things and be without the car once I get the motor built. I won't be racing all the time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I'm with ya buddy. I don't like the closed face helmets. I feel closed in and claustrophobic. All I can hear is myself breathing when I'm going down the track.

Open faced all the way. My local track (Atco) actually only rents open faced helmets, so they have to be safe...right?
    If the track rents the open face style, they obviously feel it's enough for the average person. I haven't checked NHRA rules, simply because I haven't been called on my open face helmet thats over 30 years old, so I don't know what they actually prefer now as far as snell, open face or not.

I don't worry about things flying around. My car actually should have a cage, it's below the legal limit, but our track is soft on that, and I'm not putting one in the car anyway, so the open/closed face helmet isn't my biggest issue right now anyway. If it comes down to it, I'll quit racing that one and just jump in a slower car. It's not like I take it to the track more than 3-4 times a year anyway. So it's not worth the extra investment in safety equipment for what I do with this particular car.

Black
    00 WS6

I have always used a closed face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    That's alright. I think I should be ok until I get a different power mill. Still finishing up the suspension, chassis and drive line mods first. I don't want to break things and be without the car once I get the motor built. I won't be racing all the time anyway.
    If you got the open face don't worry about it. I see alot of them at various tracks. If your in a serious week in and week out race car thats one thing. But you sound much like me, where playing around with a street car from time to time is all your interested in. In which case go have some fun.

As your car gets faster (11.50 or quicker) your tech inspector may start looking for a cage, and other small things depending on how picky they are. At that point the helmet will be the least of your worries,,,lol.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I know the track that I'm going to be running at requires a SN2000 minimum and I went for the newer SN2005 so I'll be good with it. I'd like to end up in the 10's or faster by the time I'm done, but that'll be a while down the road and if I don't get side tracked and buy a different car.

Thread Information