First time at the track

This is a discussion on First time at the track within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I'd have to say im disappointed in myself. I couldn't even break 13's. By best time was a 14.2 @ ...

1999 Z28

First time at the track

I'd have to say im disappointed in myself. I couldn't even break 13's. By best time was a 14.2 @ 104 with a crappy 2.5 sixty foot time.

All day I was running 2.5, except for one 2.7 that resulted when i turned asr off.

Launched from 2000 rpm on the first few runs, then 3000 on the last few. But I saw no change in my 60 ft times. From the looks of it, getting my time down to just 2.0 should put me in the mid-high 13's easily, right?

Tires were 40 psi front, 20 rear. Shifting at 5500 rpm every gear.

What do I need to do differently?

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Don't just dump the clutch at a certain rpm.
    When I had a m6 I'd hold the rpm's where I was gonna launch and work the clutch and throttle so they stayed there till the clutch was all the way engaged. Do it at just enough rpm's to get slight wheel spin. Kinda hard on the clutch and takes some practice to find out where it works best. I would also shift a little higher to.
    I'm sure others might do it different, but it worked for me. Not easy on the clutch, but burnin the clutch will be a little easier on the rear than dumpin it.
    98 SS. LS6 Intake, SLP Exhaust, PaceSetter Lt's, Smooth Bellow, SLP Cold Air, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Srut Tower Brace, Tubular Lower Control Arms.
    13.20@106

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

First and foremost, turn OFF the ASR (traction control).....that isn't going to accomplish anything positive at the track.

Since traction is such an issue, I would recommend lightly rolling into a 1,500 launch. Set your rpm close to 1,500 and gently slide out on the clutch and feather the throttle to keep from roasting the tires. Hopefully this will get you a bit closer to a 2.0 60' time and then you'll be well on your way into the 13's.

Once you get more and more comfortable launching your M6, start to work your way up a bit on the launch to find the optimal point. Typically it doesn't do any good to launch over 2,000 - 2,500 rpm on street tires with a M6, however it's still worth trying.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

black
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    First and foremost, turn OFF the ASR (traction control).....that isn't going to accomplish anything positive at the track.

Since traction is such an issue, I would recommend lightly rolling into a 1,500 launch. Set your rpm close to 1,500 and gently slide out on the clutch and feather the throttle to keep from roasting the tires. Hopefully this will get you a bit closer to a 2.0 60' time and then you'll be well on your way into the 13's.

Once you get more and more comfortable launching your M6, start to work your way up a bit on the launch to find the optimal point. Typically it doesn't do any good to launch over 2,000 - 2,500 rpm on street tires with a M6, however it's still worth trying.
    I agree with this guy, I explain it like taking off at a light except when you get rolling instead of shifting to the next gear roll the throttle to the floor then shift.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Lot of good things about lowering your 60' times have already been said. What I have found works best for me is to launch at about 2700-3000 and quickly release the clutch and slowly easing into the gas. If the tires start to haze then just hold the gas where it is until they start to catch. I also make sure I do a small burnout/glorified dry hop just to make sure I get any water that has found its way up off my tires and clean them off.

Another thing that will help you out is change your shift point to 6000 if you are stock. Just changing shift points has decreased my time by almost a half a second.

With street tires a 2.0x 60' is a good time from what I understand, just takes practice to pull it off with a M6. Once you have that then the rest of the run is easy and you should be running much faster.

Thread Information