Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

First run in the formula

This is a discussion on First run in the formula within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Tx98Formula with the '01 ls1 you also already had the ls6 intake.. maybe that is the key ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    with the '01 ls1 you also already had the ls6 intake.. maybe that is the key factor here, lol.. i'd love it if just adding that LS6 intake made that big of a difference
    The 01-02's also came with the dinky truck camshaft, so it's a trade off really. I don't see any stock 01-02's that really run any better than a stock 98-00.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I've got two times posted above for "stockish" (only exhaust) LS1s. My previous, and buddy's previous. Can also remember another guy that had full exhaust on his LS1, not tuned, and ran an 8.1 in an M6 '01 WS6.

I would say it could be the elevation of the track, or you guys just got some slow LS1s
    No harm no foul, it's all good.

Stockish??? I can tell you when my 02 SS auto convertable was stock down to the filter it would only muster 13.70's at 102 mph. DA's were typically around 3,000 feet. About what most people encounter during warm summer months with a low track.
    It dipped to 13.40's at 104-105 with just a tune,,that's it,,,on the same day. It's not that it's slow, it's actually pretty typical of most stock LS1's on average. 1/8 mile ET and MPH is right on par with 98formula's times listed. 83 mph in the 1/8th is right on the button for a 13.40-50 pass at about 105 mph.
    Headers and off road Y pipe only picked it up a tenth and 1 mph on mine. Later a converter got it into the 12's with no other changes still on stock rubber.

I see (more than not) LS1's do pretty much the same thing at the track all the time. Once in a great while you come accross a decent running one, but it's not the norm. Anymore there are so few left that are truely stock it's hard to compare now.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Maybe it's got to do with humidity, low track elevation here, etc.?

Jimmy's is the only one I've seen trap that low around these parts

Maybe it's got to do with humidity, low track elevation here, etc.?

Jimmy's is the only one I've seen trap that low around these parts
    If he were trapping any faster, his ET should also be a tad quicker.

If you are living up in the great white north where it's cold all the time, you might very well have better DA numbers than most of the rest of the country.

When I lived in Ohio we typically ran with DA's in the 3-3,500 range during the summer months. Here in AZ if I run in the cooler parts of the year I have seen DA's from 1,300-2,500 ft.
    It's a little better but not enough to the point where I've seen a major improvement in the cars.

Friend of mine still has a 98 WS6 he bought brand new. Only has 5,000 miles on it now. When it was about a year old he took it to the track for giggles. A 6 speed car, he couldn't get the thing to hook well that day, and only ran 14.20's,,,,but it trapped at 104 mph in the heat of the summer. Pretty typical from what I've seen from other "truely" stock cars. Especially the autos like 98formulas car here in question. His being an auto like mine, it seems to run nearly identical to mine when I had just a tune.

Only way to know for sure and really compare times though is just as you eluded to,,,,we really need to know DA numbers at the time of the run.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

i'll have to look at the time slips to see if the DA is listed on there when i get off of work today.. I honestly think that the mail order tune that i have is hurting me.. but what sucks is there is noone around here that is able to tune (that i have found yet) so i have to go about 2 hours out of town to get a good tune, i just don't have the time or money for that right now.. and i don't want to send my entire pcm out again and have the week down time to get it retuned..

i just installed the LS6 intake manifold on there wednesday, so hopefully i can get out to the track soon and see some better times

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

da isn't listed on the timeslips... the elevation here in abilene is about 1700-1800ft and it was around 55-60 degrees both the times i went to the track so far, i probably won't be able to go back this weekend do to all the rain

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ehhh, when it comes to track logistics, I'm not an expert by any means... don't even know what DA means? Dry Air maybe?

When I ran the 8.9@86mph in my M6, I couldn't hook till the very top of first, and that was on the 2nd or 3rd week of July. I know it was hot because as I was going to stage, I put the window up, and had to turn the AC on while the other import next to me wanted to take his time. One of the track officials got pissed, but I only wanted to run it for a few seconds, because it was DAMN HOT AND HUMID!

Oh, and on the way to the track that day, I also went from the top of 3rd at WOT, back to 2nd, missing 4th... I'm sure that helped Hey, I had to merge on the interstate

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Density altitude is defined as the altitude in the International Standard Atmosphere that has the same air density as the air being evaluated.

Air density is affected by the air pressure, temperature and humidity. The density of the air is reduced by decreased air pressure, increased temperatures and increased moisture. A reduction in air density reduces the engine horsepower.

The DA around the summer here can get to 3000 plus. But during the spring,fall and early winter (track tends to close before x-mas and open in march) We can stay below 500 often and we get negative DA's during fall and early winter.

As a racer I want to know the DA. It well let me know what times I can expect to see. You can add horsepower during the summer and still run slower why DA.......

White
    '10 ZR1

I've got two times posted above for "stockish" (only exhaust) LS1s. My previous, and buddy's previous. Can also remember another guy that had full exhaust on his LS1, not tuned, and ran an 8.1 in an M6 '01 WS6.
    I would say it could be the elevation of the track, or you guys just got some slow LS1s

ok ok, don't get upset I was JK

Jimmy, we still need to run
    Was the car you're talking about completely stock other than the full exhaust?

8.1 in the eighth means it would've ran in the 12.60 range in the quarter.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Was the car you're talking about completely stock other than the full exhaust?

8.1 in the eighth means it would've ran in the 12.60 range in the quarter.
    Correct

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information