Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

First ever test and tune trip

Well i was finally able to bring a car out to the track. When i had my mustangs they were always being worked on during test and tune days at the strip, and the TA had been waiting on struts and headers. But this friday i was finally able to make it out. I was only able to do one pass, my 'Low Oil' light came on so i called it quits, but my first ever pass down a drag strip came to a 13.823 @ 101.78 mph. 60 ft was 2.2809 and 1/8 mile was 9.1179. I was hoping for a 13.5, but oh well. The open exhaust killed me, once i get the y-pipe back on it should make it a bit peppier. My mods are Pacesetter longtubes, (corsa catback if it were connected), eibach springs, kyb shocks and struts, nitto drag radials, and K&n filter. So its basically a stock TA. What do you guys suggest i do next? I got about 400 left on my credit card limit... I was thinking either 3.73s or a 3400 stall.

Btw soon as i find the cord to my camera ill post a pic of the slip

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

A 13.5 is just a decent 60 ft time away.

Why would open exhaust kill you? In my testing (dyno and track), unbolting the mufflers was always worth a tenth, and on the dyno, 8-10 RWHP.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Yea i figured if i would have gotten a couple more runs i could have pulled closer to that.

Yea it just feels boggy i guess... My GT had open headers, and when i put a y-pipe on it it was quicker. So i put two and two together lol.

black
    1998 z28 camaro

I don't know maybe it's the ALT but I did 13.42 in the 1/4 at 104 with less done to my car (hypertech III, slp air lid and bellows). we are only 200 ft above sea lvl though. also what was your tire pressure at? and what were you launching at? etc etc etc.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    A 13.5 is just a decent 60 ft time away.

Why would open exhaust kill you? In my testing (dyno and track), unbolting the mufflers was always worth a tenth, and on the dyno, 8-10 RWHP.
    Agreed, the 60 is pretty bad. That car is capable of a 2.0 stock w/ traction.

I'd say the open exhaust would/should hurt d2 to a loss of backpressure on a primarily stock car. I've never messed w/ it but word of mouths have always been on a stock motor you're gonna kill your torque.
    96 Imp SS- 12.74@103, 1.74 60' out of fuel

06 AWD TB SS- 12.58@106, 1.76 60'

01 Camaro SS- Totaled

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
    I don't know maybe it's the ALT but I did 13.42 in the 1/4 at 104 with less done to my car (hypertech III, slp air lid and bellows). we are only 200 ft above sea lvl though. also what was your tire pressure at? and what were you launching at? etc etc etc.
    Im not sure on the altitude...We're in northern indiana, if that says anything lol. Tire pressure was probably 35, i just had the tires put on the rims weeks ago and thats what the shop set them at. Its an auto, so i brake flashed to about 2500 then let her rip in D.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    Im not sure on the altitude...We're in northern indiana, if that says anything lol. Tire pressure was probably 35, i just had the tires put on the rims weeks ago and thats what the shop set them at. Its an auto, so i brake flashed to about 2500 then let her rip in D.
    You have to get your launching technique down. I'm telling you right now no matter what the track prep you aren't going to hook stalling it up to 2500 and floorin it on street tires. I have cut as low as a 1.840 on street tires in my imp but the tire pressure was also down to about 16 psi...... And I only stalled it up to prob 1500 and eased it for a split second then jumped in after a few feet.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96 View Post
    You have to get your launching technique down. I'm telling you right now no matter what the track prep you aren't going to hook stalling it up to 2500 and floorin it on street tires. I have cut as low as a 1.840 on street tires in my imp but the tire pressure was also down to about 16 psi...... And I only stalled it up to prob 1500 and eased it for a split second then jumped in after a few feet.
    Im not on street tires, i have nitto Nt555Rs lol. Sorry my bad, forgot to mention that

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

You're a few hundred feet higher than Fayettville, NC. For example, US 141 is ~660 ft, and IRP is ~700 ft. 400-500 will make a difference, though not a real big one. Several hundreths perhaps.

Bob

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    You're a few hundred feet higher than Fayettville, NC. For example, US 141 is ~660 ft, and IRP is ~700 ft. 400-500 will make a difference, though not a real big one. Several hundreths perhaps.

Bob
    I've noticed PA to cause more of a time difference than minor alt changes like that too Bob. If the PA is real low it seems to kill my times compared to when I'm at a track w/ 600 ft of Ele w/ good PA.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Well i fouled out a spark plug and got a 14.2 best all day. 60 foot was 2.5, 8th mile was high 9s. Slow. as. piss. Im disappointed because i was expecting to get a 13.5 with a better launch, but oh well. Im gunna save up for a 3500 stall and 4.11s.

Black
    01 Camaro SS

Thatll do it... Hard to run good times when you're on 7 cylinders!!!

golden
    89 grand prix

where you racing at osceola? if so the track prep there is pretty questionable sometimes. so that could be effecting you 60ft. i'm from the same area as you and we don't have a lot of choice when it comes to tracks ha ha.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

With my luck its the plug on the passenger side towards the cab, the most impossible one to get to. Its a good thing i got the headers on before it went, theres a lot more room without those cast pieces a shit.

Lol yea dude, osceola strip. We have Martin dragway, but i think thats like 45 minutes away. OC is only 15 for me. Track prep sucks and everything there is expensive, but the smaller crowds makes for more times down the track.

golden
    89 grand prix

yeah you can definately get a lot of runs in if you stayed till dark.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

So wait where you out of paul?

golden
    89 grand prix

i live in syracuse which is in the northern part of kosciusko county about 35 minutes south of osceola. where do you hail from?

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Ahh, i see. Im from Granger, about 3 minutes from the Indiana-Michigan state line. You go to OC often?

golden
    89 grand prix

i don't have a car currently but i'm up there usually 4-5 times a year that 7 dollar charge just to watch is killer though. hopefully i can get a f bod before the track closes this year.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Holy shit they make spectators pay 7 bucks!? Ive never gone as a spectator so thats news to me. Wow.... And i thought the 20 dollar entry charge was a little much

Thread Information