Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

F-bodies vs the new stangs

This is a discussion on F-bodies vs the new stangs within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I've never really been hooked on the overdrive bandwagon myself. I find myself driving my older ...

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've never really been hooked on the overdrive bandwagon myself. I find myself driving my older hotrods with 3 speed autos or 4 speed manuals more often than either of our 4th gens.

Shucks my daily driver for many years was my nomad, with a muncie 4 speed and 4.56's,,still have it today and wouldn't change a thing on it.
    After I retired that from daily use I went to another nova again with a muncie and 4.56's.
    I currently have a ventura with a muncie and 4.88's
    The chevelle has 4.10's with a 400 turbo,,,I find this rather mild after driving the other cars

I actually find a 3.73 gear with no overdrive quite friendly. With a 28 inch tire you can cruise at 65 mph at only 2,800 rpms. This is how we set up my fathers GTO and you can get anywhere in a timely manner and the motor is still running comfortably.

The problem with the 4th gens are those wheenie tires at only 26 inches tall at best. Switching to a wheel that will accept a typical 28 inch tire would help tremendously.
    Do you have stock in Exxon-Mobil, BP Amoco, or do you got this really good stance for pumping gas that all the lady's dig!

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    i run 1/8 mile.. so i have a 26.5 tire (draglites)...... doesnt take to well to a 4k stall 410s.. and even with the OD, at highway speeds my RPMs get WAY up there.. haha.. no way i would DD mine with a 400 turbo... once i get another DD though, i will be getting a turbo400 fo sho fo sho..

you have had some nice cars it seems!
    I still own all those cars and a few more now. It's a sickness that my wife puts up with thankfully. I've just always been a big fan of alot of rear gear, and on the older cars like I have we didn't have overdrives so you just kinda get used to it.
    Shucks we've went on vacation accross county with these cars, going up to 1,000 miles round trip with 4.56's and no overdrive. I don't think twice about jumping on the highway with one up until recently. Now that I'm out in Arizona the speed limit is 75 mph and people go 85 regularly, I'm afraid I'll get pushed right off the mountain

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    Do you have stock in Exxon-Mobil, BP Amoco, or do you got this really good stance for pumping gas that all the lady's dig!
    Naaa, I just never put that much emphasis on gas mileage and don't mind it really. It's my wife thats the gas mileage cruncher.
    It's all what you get used to really. I've driven cars that get 10-12 mpg for 30 years. Shucks after I learned the art of fine tuning an engine I've found ways to squeak a few more MPG out of em.

These old cars I have actually mimic what some of todays SUV's get for mileage. Thats not too shabby considering a 40 year old car with no overdrive and a carburator.

We are just a diehard classic car type of family and drive them any chance we get. It's nothing for us to jump in one and drive accross country to a big car event in another state somewhere.
    I'm currently driving 180 miles just to hit a local cruise inn on Saturday nights. Call me crazy I guess,,,I just never left the 60's you could say.

I do enjoy driving these 4th gens though and there is something to be said about how they perform.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I like the old ones too! They are just a different art form. I still like watching draws drop when I tell them 33 or 34 mpg and your car has 2 or 3 times their HP! ANd I don't like stopping for gas...if I could drink gas station coffee it wouldn't be bad at all. And until the last 4 or 5 months I spent years driving 35,000 miles a year.

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

wow lots of good info...but the bottom line is were out numbered..the simple fact that gm has kicked th f body to the curb..yeah the new camaro is coming but who can afford one??? the new rivals.. srt8 anything(challenger,charger,300 c,viper)mustang gt500 and shelby version mustangs not to mention nissans gtr...out on the road we are out numbered period...bottom line..upgrade upgrade upgrade we need to stay strong and show these new school cars that our old school f bodies can still kick ass!!!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X Vpr Klr View Post
    wow lots of good info...but the bottom line is were out numbered..the simple fact that gm has kicked th f body to the curb..yeah the new camaro is coming but who can afford one??? the new rivals.. srt8 anything(challenger,charger,300 c,viper)mustang gt500 and shelby version mustangs not to mention nissans gtr...out on the road we are out numbered period...bottom line..upgrade upgrade upgrade we need to stay strong and show these new school cars that our old school f bodies can still kick ass!!!
    Doesn't matter if were out numbered. The 12 year old LS1 can still hold it's own against every car you named up there, excluding the viper. And that car is in a entirely different class.

I don't necessarily consider these 4th gens old school either.
    Damn if thats what they are already looked upon as then some of the stuff in my garage may as well have a hand crank sticking out of the front bumper

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't necessarily consider these 4th gens old school either.
    Damn if thats what they are already looked upon as then some of the stuff in my garage may as well have a hand crank sticking out of the front bumper
    lol tell me about it.

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

point... my car is almost 9 years old... not new anymore though its hard to tell when you look at her...hand crank???? look all im saying is that with out upgrades that run you make on the interstate might be closer than you think...i live in CA.(smog rules USA) vipers and nissans are in a diferent class (money only)...what if one rolls up on you what are you gonna do..not run on him??? I aint scared...lol

Go get em' tiger,,,,grrrrrrrr

White
    2001 Z28

just last week before my car mest up i raced a new Selene he said he pay 68000 cash trying to impress and shit, i pay 9000 payments, anyway we race and beat him like 4 out of 6 the two he beat me were cos he took of like a car ahead the first time and the second i kind of missed 3 steal only beat me by half car. i was very disappointing since i love Selene

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by victor111262 View Post
    just last week before my car mest up i raced a new Selene he said he pay 68000 cash trying to impress and shit, i pay 9000 payments, anyway we race and beat him like 4 out of 6 the two he beat me were cos he took of like a car ahead the first time and the second i kind of missed 3 steal only beat me by half car. i was very disappointing since i love Selene
    Before anyone rags on you...it's Saleen.

And yeah they are very expensive but the supercharged versions do run well. If it's a SN95 or new-edge body it could be a naturally-aspirated S351 and they run pretty hard also.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

who can afford the new camaro?

the same people that can afford "srt8 anything(challenger,charger,300 c,viper)mustang gt500 and shelby version mustangs not to mention nissans gtr.."

you dont put our cars in the same class as any of the new cars.. by the time you factor in all the money spent on the car and mods, you can mod an fbody enough to have it low 10s for the price of any mentioned model in stock trim..
    that is what puts them in a different class..

as far as comparing them to a GTR or something, again EASILY slaughtered with 1/4 of the money invested.. they arent in the same category.. it is considered a "supercar".. true it isnt so super-duper, but GM has the Zo6 to take care of the GTR, not to mention the Zr1.. same goes for vipers, ferrari, lambos, porches, etc..

btw, fwiw srt8 anything and almost every model mustang is NOT very impressive at all.. not for the money or the horse power numbers... they are all pigs.. fbodys are right there with them, even factoring in the MSRP on them of 28k-35k..

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

true our cars can be modded to run 10s you can do that where your at but i like driving my car daily... i live in CA diferent set of rules here...a fast car is a fast car....is the new camaro an f-body??? doesnt i cant afford one...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

true our cars can be modded to run 10s you can do that where your at but i like driving my car daily... i live in CA diferent set of rules here...a fast car is a fast car....is the new camaro an f-body??? doesnt i cant afford one...
    California sucks..

i DD a low 10 second car everyday here..

no the new camaro is not an fbody..

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

Unhappy

im soooo jealous.....CRAP ihate ca smog rules!!!!!

2000 Trans Am

im soooo jealous.....CRAP ihate ca smog rules!!!!!
    Not if you "know somebody"

White
    2002 Z28

Look at it this way. I bought my Camaro for $9000. It's an 02 and it had 57,000 miles on it. I did a lid, DR's, a Magnaflow cat-back, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and a Diablosport Predator tune. I have just over $12,000 in the car with tax tags and everything.

I run 13.000 at the strip. The track I run at isn't the fastest track so my numbers aren't as good as some you see, but the numbers of other cars aren't either. SRT8 Challengers with intakes and catbacks run 13.4. SRT8 Chargers and 300C's with a tune, catback, intake and DR's run 13.2. A friends 07 Mustang GT with 285 rear tires, a CAI, and a Superchips tune went 13.6-13.7. 07 and up 350Z's, the fast ones run 13.8-14.1. C6 LS2 Vettes run 12.8-13.0. Shelby and Bullett Mustangs run 13.6-13.8.

For what it is, the car is pretty darn impressive. The F-Body is a well built car that would still be competitive today if GM was making them and stuffing LS3's in them. And they'd probably be able to make a profit on them in the low 20,000 range.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    Look at it this way. I bought my Camaro for $9000. It's an 02 and it had 57,000 miles on it. I did a lid, DR's, a Magnaflow cat-back, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and a Diablosport Predator tune. I have just over $12,000 in the car with tax tags and everything.

I run 13.000 at the strip. The track I run at isn't the fastest track so my numbers aren't as good as some you see, but the numbers of other cars aren't either. SRT8 Challengers with intakes and catbacks run 13.4. SRT8 Chargers and 300C's with a tune, catback, intake and DR's run 13.2. A friends 07 Mustang GT with 285 rear tires, a CAI, and a Superchips tune went 13.6-13.7. 07 and up 350Z's, the fast ones run 13.8-14.1. C6 LS2 Vettes run 12.8-13.0. Shelby and Bullett Mustangs run 13.6-13.8.

For what it is, the car is pretty darn impressive. The F-Body is a well built car that would still be competitive today if GM was making them and stuffing LS3's in them. And they'd probably be able to make a profit on them in the low 20,000 range.
    they would be in the top few fast cars for drag racing with an ls2 in them..

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    they would be in the top few fast cars for drag racing with an ls2 in them..
    yea really. i can drive any healthy mild-bolt on 6 speed into the 12's. . . .it would have to be low 12's on a bolt on ls2. i dunno any car that can do that in factory trim.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information