Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

F-bodies vs the new stangs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not talking smack here, of course our cars are the best ;-) but in real world numbers if we and our LS1 f-bodies were to line up against the new stangs how would things go down?

There is what now...like a dozen different mustanges? The basic being the GT followed by the bullet, each with 315hp. From there you get into the blown cars, the GT500 being the least powerful with 500hp. I'm not sure if there are any engines rated between those

Safe to assume we can't run straight line with the blown cars, but can we hang with the GTs. I'm also curious about cornering..who out handles who through the twisties?

Real world, professionally evaluated info please...hearsay and guestimating just doesn't cut it when cars run very similar numbers.

black
    99 Z28

ls1 gets the GTs on straight line, im sure it goes the same for bullit as well. but the GT500 will eat us up. and I think that the mustangs do handle better than our f-bodies as well. stock for stock i mean.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

stock for stock ls1 usually comes out on top with two equal drivers in a straight line

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock for stock with both cars being a manual....

Driver's race.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

Driver's race.
    Sounds about right. They're not something you can go to sleep on. Equal drivers would lean towards the LS1 though.

I base that on a GT pass the other day. Retard passed me on the acceleration lane going all out, I was able to reel him in to read his plate. He only backed off when he saw me in his mirror (I saw him looking). The car was fast, and I heard him shifting. It was a GT or maybe a Bullitt, but definitely not a FI version. Nice car, but dickhead driver. I'm modded, but nothing internal.

From experience I can tell you that my '94 Thunderbird, 4.6, IRS, with 17" aftermarket wheels and Michelin Hydro-edge tires, was a better handling car than my Z28 in turns. Just a fact. It was also better than the same time-frame Mustangs. My experience would be that a stock F-body will not be as good at handling as a new Mustang. The rear end is too loose to compete in stock form. but can easily be improved, even greatly improved. Not sure about that ability in the 'Stangs, but aftermarket stuff will likely improve for it.

But straight line? Unless it's beat to death, an LS1 will have an edge, albeit a small one.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I can't say I've driven a new Mustang GT for comparison, but I have driven a Hertz Shelby GT (much upgraded suspension over the GT models) and it handled very well. I was tossing it through the twisties in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and it was extremely neutral and easy to drive. It also had a surprising level of grip for having regular all season tires on it.

F-bodys may not handle all that well bone stock, but with a few basic upgrades, they handle very well. Compared to my car which has modded suspension, the Shelby GT was definitely easier to drive and toss around, but as far as at-the-limit handling, I'd say my car would definitely be more capable.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Click here for a good example of what usually happens stock for stock against an N197 stang and an ls1 camaro with a good driver.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91990

P.S. when this race occured I still had the bald ass KDW's on the back from the previous owner.
    Last edited by Justin93; 11-10-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I've had several runs vs 2008 GTs, with my slightly modded SS easily winning on straight runs, whether from a standing start or from various starting speeds. When turns were involved, it was even easier to pull away from the GTs. So, IMHO, the new mustanks still are some distance behind the 4th gen. GM F-bodies in the handling department.

red
    2000 camaro ss

i've never lost to a mustang in the twisties. that includes a road race.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    ls1 gets the GTs on straight line, im sure it goes the same for bullit as well. but the GT500 will eat us up. and I think that the mustangs do handle better than our f-bodies as well. stock for stock i mean.
    No, the Mustangs do not handle better than F-Bodys. I have owned 2 F-bodys, and we have had five 05' and up Stangs. The F-bodys handle way better, believe me.

Drag race? The LS1 will come out on top.

red
    2000 camaro ss

keep in mind that gt500 is almost 2 tons.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

Driver's race.
    On what terms do you guys consider the new Mustang GT and LS1 F-body a drivers race? Since when did the S197's start running mid-low 13's at 107? I don't remember when that happened. I have several friends that own them, and a couple have gone 13.60's-13.80's at around 103mph when stock. That's no match for a stock LS1 M6 car with a skilled driver. Sounds more like a match up for an A4 car if ya ask me!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The GT is slower.
    But only by enough that the driver can make up the difference.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

True a sucky driver in the F-bod could F' it up very easily. Your right about that.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I do know most new bodystyle mustangs stay around the 13.5 to 14.3 mark at the track the past three weekends. Watched a brand newish rousch try to break into the 13s.. didnt happen...

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

driver race... ls1 should come out on top everytime against a GT though.. stock vs stock and especially mod for mod

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

My friend's SS with headers and !cats and a tune was running 13.7's the night I ran my 13.2 with just lid cutout and tune... we're both A4's. There was a new mustang GT out there running 14.4's, and he was an A4 too. Now I guarantee you my 3 little mods didn't pick me up 1.2 seconds because then the tune was in its very beginning stages. I now have DR's and I'm going to go run some 12's here real soon. I have yet to see a new GT that is in the same boat. I've beaten several pretty bad that were 5 spds and clearly had more mods than my car. There was one guy who was just damned near dead even with me that had intake/exhaust, gears and tune, before I had the DR's. He's the quickest I've seen.

red
    2000 camaro ss

theyre just lame modular motors. I've seen advertisements of the newest GT runnin 13.8's with their 5 speed. i think guys were runnin 13.8's with a stock 6 speed LT in '93. they are fifteen years behind GM. AND while GM continues to up their cubes, ford just keeps makin their lame motors in smaller packages.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    theyre just lame modular motors. I've seen advertisements of the newest GT runnin 13.8's with their 5 speed. i think guys were runnin 13.8's with a stock 6 speed LT in '93. they are fifteen years behind GM. AND while GM continues to up their cubes, ford just keeps makin their lame motors in smaller packages.
    There is nothing wrong with the design of the modular motor, in fact its actually quite good, easily one of the best V8's in production. But in typical Ford fashion, they end up screwing it up by putting garbage parts on it.

The earlier 2V heads and manifold flow so poorly the motor can barely breath (215HP out of a V8 is pathetic), the later ones addressed that issue but power was still limited due to its small displacement. The Mach 1/Cobra 4V versions were excellent and showed that the 4.6 modular had potential, but as soon as the S197 body style came out they went to the 3V, which only has 300HP, at a time when a 7 year old F-body still had 325HP.

If they would just wise up and increase the displacement to 5.4L or larger, they would have a winner, because 300HP out of a 4.6 would easily be 350 out of a 5.4 with the 3V heads. Ford just likes to aim low I guess though, no surprise there.

red
    2000 camaro ss

3v / cylinder, 4 cams.......beeeeeeeeeeeeat.
    i will agree two things: 4v outflows two big ones (which ford doesnt have) and the increased ability to twist high w/ modular style..........four foot timing chains and four cams is just ludicrous. . . . .until someone makes a N/A modular motor that will outperform a N/A lsx i will think this. in fact if they did come out with one it would take me a few years to come to grips with it before i felt ok admitting it.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information