Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

F-bodies vs the new stangs

This is a discussion on F-bodies vs the new stangs within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by side2000 that doesnt sound neck and neck to me. sounds like one gets better launch and the ...

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    that doesnt sound neck and neck to me. sounds like one gets better launch and the other one is faster. those that can launch their 6 speeds well, twist 'em out to 50+ before crackin' 2nd hard will give any car a good run from a dig. hell, i race awd cars from a dig all the time w/ my mickey t's out back (certainly not comin out on top, but negating their awd advantage). but you are right most people don't keep the r's in the "forward motion" range.
    The key words are the mickey T's you have. Makes things much easier. 99% of what you run into on the street won't have that nice little advantage

red
    2000 camaro ss

well. . . . i run s compounds all the time 'til i gotta bust the mickey t's out. yes you are right, i generally wont run into people w/ them, but i can still launch nastily from dig w/ any tire. i'm not a drag racer though. . . .just when somethin needs a burnin'
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

red
    2000 camaro ss

oh and i dont wanna sound like i'm contesting the ability of an auto to run faster times than a 6 speed. . . .i understand there is a point where the auto is crucial (especially w/ turbo drag cars)

Ya I agree, I'm not saying either is faster,,,I have both versions and dig both of them. Shucks my wife drives the 6 speed,,,I have the slush box

red
    2000 camaro ss

well considering most of the races i take part in are just cars i encounter as i'm driving. . . .a 6 speed is key to burn shit from a roll. (i made this up for entertainment purposes only. . . )

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Because the 6 speed cars struggle to 60 foot,,,with the gear dilema I mentioned above plus the fact that over zelous people pop the clutch and turn it into a tire frenzy.

You can have a pair of cars. One that 60 foots better, and the other with a higher trap speed. If the difference is marginal you'll have a good race on your hands. It's not that easy to run another car down if the difference is only 2-3 mph at the end.
    I'll say it again, an M6 with a "skilled" driver behind the wheel will have the advantages in all directions. With a good, high and hard launch off the line with traction, M6 cars will put up quicker 60-ft times as well as 1/4 mph times compared to an A4 stock to stock. Not just higher trap speeds but quicker e.t.'s. 6-speed cars have also ran the quickest 0-60mph times for our LS1 cars - period. It mostly lies in the fact that the car can be launched harder which will only be of benifit if traction can be had, along with the fact a 6-speed will produce more power. The unfortunate part is that most people will not see 6-speed cars driven to their potential.

uhhh ohhh

black
    1998 WS6

I ran a 13.09 @ 107.6 in 99 the day I got my car I drove it 100 miles to pick a friend up and 50 more to the track staight from the dealership. It had 150 miles on it on my first pass which was a 13.26 and after a couple more passes I got a 13.0 with better track prep that day I think I had 12's because my best 60' was 2.02. I just don't see any stock mustang doing that.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by fraz1le View Post
    I ran a 13.09 @ 107.6 in 99 the day I got my car I drove it 100 miles to pick a friend up and 50 more to the track staight from the dealership. It had 150 miles on it on my first pass which was a 13.26 and after a couple more passes I got a 13.0 with better track prep that day I think I had 12's because my best 60' was 2.02. I just don't see any stock mustang doing that.
    No, I don't either. I wouldn't expect to win against one of you guys in a 1/4 race at a track--doesn't mean I wouldn't try... Realize that there are many more variables messin' around on the street though--i wouldn't feel too terribly disadvantaged rippin' from 0-60. As this is a drag racing forum; f-bod > mustang. I just hope some of you guys can be convinced that someone can love the f-bods and also realize that the mustang can be a better suited DD car these days..

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I have repoed a 07 gt 5 speed. I drove the hell out of it and at full throttle i felt like i was at half in my car. They also ride like shit.

red
    2000 camaro ss

^^you sit straight up in them like you're riding in a camry.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Quote Originally Posted by 95Firebirdred View Post
    I have repoed a 07 gt 5 speed. I drove the hell out of it and at full throttle i felt like i was at half in my car. They also ride like shit.
    ... different, but half? really? Need some tips on using your stick? ride...much better ride quality, much worse cornering ability...they kinda go hand in hand. Currently looking to lessen my ride quality and improve my handling ability to equal my WS.6.

^^you sit straight up in them like you're riding in a camry.
    Now this is right on!!! My biggest complaint about this car! It would help so much if only psychologically to change the sitting position; you can't adjust it to sit like the f-bods and reach the steering/controls--I don't care if its a '97 V6 firebird compared to an '08 gt500kr--you feel faster in the firebird/camaro!

red
    2000 camaro ss

well my biggest complaint about the car would be tough to pinpoint, could be the 5 speed, or the 4 ft timing chain, or the 3 valves, or the 300 horse, or the skinny tires from fact, or the low cubes, or the ludicrousness of swapping "cams", dunno man, just a tough one.
    Last edited by side2000; 12-17-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot t in complaint

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

fair enough... I love lots of things bout the f-bod; plan on owning another one. Biggest complaint is easy to pinpoint though--no new warrantied guaranteed reliable ones; mine ended up being similar to a hot crazy bitch--money pit that always did me wrong that I refused to let go. Can't wait till i can get one as a mistress. Also easy to pinpoint my fav things about the Ford--I don't pay to fix anything; not that anything has needed fixed, and i don't have to narrow mindedly put down others' cars to enjoy mine! She's a good girl; the marrying type if you will! Not as flashy, not as freaky, but reliable and wild enough to keep me satisified while away from the mistress! Everyone can appreciate both i think!

red
    2000 camaro ss

sounds like you just like havin somethin new enough for a warranty. . . .sorry you had trouble with your f-body mine's been bulletproof. and i put it through much much more than the average guy.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

first factory warranty i've ever experienced! ya, the t/a was a previously abused bitch. wanted to keep that car forever though.. thought that i could fix all the flaws and have a good reliable DD. I was wrong.. never drag raced it; just 'normal' fun, and after the rebuilt trans started to take a shit AGAIN I was forced to trade..still paying the last repair bill from nearly a year ago and the trans went on the guy that bought within a week. kinda unique i guess, but i needed a for-sure reliable vehicle for now but still had the v8 perform bug that was born with the t/a. what would you buy in that situation? stang was the last i drove; never imagined i would buy one--i had the same perception as most on this site. still got love for you guys though--learned most all i know reading here. Life lesson=more to transportation choice than pure performance level. i will eventually have another 4th gen ws6 and vette.

red
    2000 camaro ss

hmmm i dont have to worry about that 'cuz i have an '02 6 speed cummins that gets 20+ mpg and has 500/1000 wheel hp/tq as my DD. . .

if i was in your shoes i woulda bought a 6 speed goat, or a g8 (both better warranties than ford offers) . . . . .or a cummins. . . . . . .but it is what it is, you bought the stang.
    Last edited by side2000; 12-18-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

hmmm i dont have to worry about that 'cuz i have an '02 6 speed cummins that gets 20+ mpg and has 500/1000 wheel hp/tq as my DD. . .

if i was in your shoes i woulda bought a 6 speed goat, or a g8 (both better warranties than ford offers) . . . . .or a cummins. . . . . . .but it is what it is, you bought the stang.
    That's the only problem. Your not in his shoes.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    That's the only problem. Your not in his shoes.
    he asked me what i'd do. . . . .don't see how your point is relevant.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

new stangs suck man. they are very uncomfortable..

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information