Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 170

F-bodies vs the new stangs

This is a discussion on F-bodies vs the new stangs within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; i think iron block is only 50 lb difference if i'm not mistaken. i would believe 3450 stock. i have ...

  1. #41
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    i think iron block is only 50 lb difference if i'm not mistaken. i would believe 3450 stock. i have my car setup for road racin' so it don't have much, but i got my seats so my buddy's can pile in when we wana burn rice or bang some turns.

  2. #42
    Member 02WS6dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    668

    08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

    05+ are solid axles.. I don't think mine handles better than my 02 ws6 did stock vs. stock. maybe once its lower and I wear out and replace all season tires it'll be similar...I don't know.. It doesn't have the same fast-attitude/feeling about it; I agree. But careful--they aren't 'slow' but are definately very different cars. being new, it doesn't break down though.. get tired of fluid puddles when you get up to go to class eventually; no matter how much you love and ls1 or f bod!!

  3. #43
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    just the feel of mustangs are lame when i'm sittin in the seat. sittin straight up makes me feel like i'm in some family car. sittin like i'm in a cockpit of a rocket is how i wanna feel.

    -the day i get outhandled by a mustang, or any car that's not a vette or a supercar with a good driver, is the day i sell mine, and buy a vette. and mine doesnt leak.

  4. #44
    Member chuck4345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    memphis tn
    Posts
    281

    black
    2002 trans am ws6

    real numbers me 01 trans am lid catback 13.8 at 101 mph
    friends 08 gt flowmaster and k and n intake 14.3 at 96

    he got me on jump by 1/8 mile i was going by him we ran 5 times that night that was the only time we both hooked

  5. #45
    Member 02WS6dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    668

    08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    just the feel of mustangs are lame when i'm sittin in the seat. sittin straight up makes me feel like i'm in some family car. sittin like i'm in a cockpit of a rocket is how i wanna feel.

    -the day i get outhandled by a mustang, or any car that's not a vette or a supercar with a good driver, is the day i sell mine, and buy a vette. and mine doesnt leak.
    Dont get me wrong--I'm on this site cause i love these cars too; i'm on your side. I do appreciate the Ford much more now that I've been in one and owned it now for awhile; that's all. Mine didn't 'leak' on a regular basis either; that was my way of expressing my discontent with something major breaking every couple months. Last straw was transmission..which left a puddle on the driveway twice in the same week..still payin' that damn repair bill.
    enjoy that SS! I'll have another T/A one day!

  6. #46
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    i wasn't doggin ya sorry if i seemed that way....but i do clown fords a lot.....

  7. #47
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    I actually seriously considered buying a 08 Mustang GT and after making several attempts over the many years of buying a mustang after i test drive one im completely disappointed and gladly walking away. The 08 was a bit suprising, it does pull hard and it feels really fast in the top end as well. The interior was a bit strange for me everything seemed high the dash the doors and the windshield looked small, dont know maybe thats just me. Didnt get a chance to throw it in a corner and see how it handled. Either way i went and test drove the LS1 and i was completely sold as i was back in 01 when i bought my SS then. I do understand why people buy mustangs and the newer ones are alot better then the old ones.

  8. #48
    rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OREGON
    Posts
    212

    blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    On what terms do you guys consider the new Mustang GT and LS1 F-body a drivers race? Since when did the S197's start running mid-low 13's at 107? I don't remember when that happened. I have several friends that own them, and a couple have gone 13.60's-13.80's at around 103mph when stock. That's no match for a stock LS1 M6 car with a skilled driver. Sounds more like a match up for an A4 car if ya ask me!
    Whats with all the hate for a4's?!?! Ive seen more a4's trap faster in times than m6's and trap higher in mph's M6's or A4's THERE ALL LS1's get over it! If the new mustang in your words is "no match" for a m6 ls1 then its DEFINATLY not a match for a a4 ls1..... way to jump on the a4 hating band wagon guy....

  9. #49
    F BODYS RULE maxwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GEORGIA
    Posts
    579

    NBM
    2001 CAMARO

    the 2008 mustang gt's arent even a good match for a M-6 LT1 much less an LS1
    pull your heads out of your asses and get for real. I am not bashing Mustang so don't get me wrong. but it is what it is and stock for stock they just don't do it.

  10. #50
    Kenne-Bell Killer Cayenne97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    609

    Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by PAT-LS101 View Post
    Whats with all the hate for a4's?!?! Ive seen more a4's trap faster in times than m6's and trap higher in mph's M6's or A4's THERE ALL LS1's get over it! If the new mustang in your words is "no match" for a m6 ls1 then its DEFINATLY not a match for a a4 ls1..... way to jump on the a4 hating band wagon guy....

    You should try and understand the point before you go about insulting someone over something they never said. I've owned and raced A4's, impressive ones at that.

  11. #51
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    look we all know from a stop a good shiftin auto "shifts faster". . but. . .still loses more power through drivetrain, and still can't crack a downshift from a roll like a 6 speed can. and i would NEVER road race w/ an auto. . . . .

    they are both awesome for their purpose. both have advantages and disadvantages. it's all 'bout what ya wanna do.

  12. #52
    Member 02WS6dream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    668

    08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    the 2008 mustang gt's arent even a good match for a M-6 LT1 much less an LS1
    pull your heads out of your asses and get for real. I am not bashing Mustang so don't get me wrong. but it is what it is and stock for stock they just don't do it.
    Just cause you seem a lil too confident and to keep the thread alive a little longer..bring on the stock lt1s!!! Its not a bad race ls1 vs s197--the ls1 SHOULD WIN but I'll take on one or lt1 any day with an acceptable chance of winning and meeting another cool car guy/gal!! cheers!

  13. #53
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    Just cause you seem a lil too confident and to keep the thread alive a little longer..bring on the stock lt1s!!! Its not a bad race ls1 vs s197--the ls1 SHOULD WIN but I'll take on one or lt1 any day with an acceptable chance of winning and meeting another cool car guy/gal!! cheers!
    i'll 0-17 ya on foot.

  14. #54
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    the ls1 WILL beat a 3v gt apples for apples UNLESS the driver screws up pretty badly.

  15. #55
    rice..a growing epidemic PAT-LS101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    OREGON
    Posts
    212

    blue
    2002 camaro z28 a4

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post

    You should try and understand the point before you go about insulting someone over something they never said. I've owned and raced A4's, impressive ones at that.
    Im not trying to insult you I just cant belive how some of these guys are soo ignorant(not you) on the whole a4 m6 thing... stock for stock a a4 and an m6 race from a dig in a straight line its going to be a neck and neck race. But the m6 may trap higher.. I do agree the a4 would suck for road racing and yes they both have there ups and downs Ive never had a problem with any of them.

  16. #56
    Kenne-Bell Killer Cayenne97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    609

    Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by PAT-LS101 View Post
    Im not trying to insult you I just cant belive how some of these guys are soo ignorant(not you) on the whole a4 m6 thing... stock for stock a a4 and an m6 race from a dig in a straight line its going to be a neck and neck race. But the m6 may trap higher.. I do agree the a4 would suck for road racing and yes they both have there ups and downs Ive never had a problem with any of them.
    Stock for stock, equal drivers and conditions, an M6 car will out accelerate a comparable A4 car even from a dig. A manual transmission makes more power (or rather doesn't have the driveline loss) compared to an A4, plus it has the ability to launch higher (and harder) from the line than a A4 car with a factory stall converter.

  17. #57
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Stock for stock, equal drivers and conditions, an M6 car will out accelerate a comparable A4 car even from a dig. A manual transmission makes more power (or rather doesn't have the driveline loss) compared to an A4, plus it has the ability to launch higher (and harder) from the line than a A4 car with a factory stall converter.
    Well,,,,somewhat. The gear multipication sucks in first gear with the 6 speed cars with the stock 3.42's.
    With a 2.66 first gear you only have an effective 9.09 ratio,,,,thats a little soft for off the line acceleration.

    Where as the 3.06 first gear in a 4L60 coupled with the 3.23 gear gives you 9.88. Technically the auto cars will squirt the first 30 feet or so better. In reality the 6 speed only has an off the line advantage over the 2.73 gear equipped cars.
    The real problem with the 4L60 lies in the gear spread from 1-2,,,there is a huge drop in rpm, even a loose converter can only cover some of this.

    With all that said, generally you want a 1st gear effective ratio of 10.xx or better. The auto with 3.23 gears comes closest to this.

    Not knocking either car,,,,I own both examples and love them both. Just thought I'd throw a little more food for thought in the mix.

  18. #58
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Stock for stock, equal drivers and conditions, an M6 car will out accelerate a comparable A4 car even from a dig. A manual transmission makes more power (or rather doesn't have the driveline loss) compared to an A4, plus it has the ability to launch higher (and harder) from the line than a A4 car with a factory stall converter.
    AGREED.

    how will a race from a dig be neck and neck w/ one car havin' a higher trap speed?

  19. #59
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    AGREED.

    how will a race from a dig be neck and neck w/ one car havin' a higher trap speed?
    Because the 6 speed cars struggle to 60 foot,,,with the gear dilema I mentioned above plus the fact that over zelous people pop the clutch and turn it into a tire frenzy.

    You can have a pair of cars. One that 60 foots better, and the other with a higher trap speed. If the difference is marginal you'll have a good race on your hands. It's not that easy to run another car down if the difference is only 2-3 mph at the end.

  20. #60
    Member side2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    md
    Posts
    861

    red
    2000 camaro ss

    that doesnt sound neck and neck to me. sounds like one gets better launch and the other one is faster. those that can launch their 6 speeds well, twist 'em out to 50+ before crackin' 2nd hard will give any car a good run from a dig. hell, i race awd cars from a dig all the time w/ my mickey t's out back (certainly not comin out on top, but negating their awd advantage). but you are right most people don't keep the r's in the "forward motion" range.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. its also still fun to kill 6 banger stangs lol
    By Speedy_Gonzales in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
  2. Any of you guys know fox body stangs?
    By EnjoiJoe in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
  3. Two New Stangs...Slain>>> by Po-Po
    By Crimson Sin in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
  4. Why So Many Stangs...............?
    By matthewaqui in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 02:29 PM
  5. Why are Stangs so much slower?
    By H8machine in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •