Thread: ET Problems

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Post ET Problems

I am having a problem here and can't figure it out. I am running a 12.86 @ 124.
    The mph is no mistake. My 60 foot is around 2.6 to 2.8. I don't notice a lot of wheelspin or wheelhop. A little wheelhop but not much. I am running fuzion zr-1 tyres @ 20 psi. I can't afford slicks right now. But here is the car's stats.
    98 Z-28
    Whisper Air lid
    K&N Filter
    Modified Air Box
    Modified MAF
    Smooth Bellow
    Throttle Body Bypass
    MSD Plug Wires
    NGK Plugs
    Underdrive Crank Pulley
    Blocked Smog Pump
    Blocked EGR Valve
    Engine Ground Kit
    160 Stat
    Computer Reprogrammed:
    For gears, Lowered shift points from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4, raised rev limiter, Fans come on at 180
    Cold Fusion 125 Wet Kit (Hitting it around 3000) With raised rev limiter I don't turn it off until pass is complete
    Removed Cats
    Casper O2 Simulators
    Flowmaster Muffler
    Transmission rebuilt
    Stock RPM Torque converter (Daily Driven over 40 Miles)
    3.73 Gears
    Posi-traction
    That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I am sure I forgot something somewhere. Is the tyres just slipping more than I think or what is up? In first gear it pulls hard and doesn't just flash to red line like you would think it would if you have wheelspin. Is it the stock torque converter? But I have seen stock cars post better 0 to 60 so is has to be slipping more than I think right? I have some experience but not a lot. I am going to the dyno saturday so I will post numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

The Schwenkster
    holy shit, get ur 60's down 2.6 to 2.8 is a shit load of spin. i have the same tires on my grand prix and can get 2.0x 60's so it can be done. a buddy of mine his them on his ss m6 and he cant get them to hook for shit though. they are more of a front wheel drive tire and i dont think they were ever ment to handle the kind of power ur putting out. u either need to learn to ease into it or get some new tires or even slicks for the track. slicks took me from 2.0x to 1.65-1.75 60's and dropped my et from low 13s to high 12s so even if they took you to 2.0 i bet ur et will drop to low 12s high 11 though i dont know much about f-bodies, just know about these tires alittle

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

OK. So I am slipping more than I realize. Thank you very much. I wil try those M\T ET Streets when I can get a little cash flow. Thanks again
    Last edited by 98Z-28Camaro; 05-05-2006 at 03:42 PM.

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

for every .1 on the 60ft take .2 off the 1/4

Silver
    2002 Z28

You need to work that exhaust too. Throw headers an x-pipe and high flow mufflers on there and you'll see a jump. Or just put a cutout after the cat, that'll help until you have cash for headers.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bad6as
    for every .1 on the 60ft take .2 off the 1/4
    Its actually .1 = .15

Are you spraying out the hole?? If so that might be your problem. Thouse tires are not helping you any. Lowering the tire pressure is not going to do much if anything at all because most street tires have to stiff of a sidewall. If you run slicks with a 150 shot and your spraying out the hole at all, say bye bye 10 bolt.

Black
    99 SS

u NEED to get a converter that will help u out so much off the line, right now im cutting 1.9 60ft times with street tires. and im sure that my stall is helping me out a ton off the line

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Yeah, I learned the hard way about the good ole 10 bolts. It doesn't handle any power, even with heavy duty bearing, and gears. I haven't ran slicks since the rebuild, I am kinda glad I haven't because then I would have a broke rear differential. But, I learned a lesson. I am spraying at 3000 RPMS with a 125 shot. I was wondering about something though. I am revving the engine up until the factory stall rpm. Something like 1400 or maybe a touch higher, should i just let it idle and launch from the idle. Again waiting until 3000 to engage the nitrous? What is a stall converter due to me on the street? Will I maintain driveability? I daily drive a lot in this car. I had a 79Z that had a 3200 stall and 4.10 gears and it sucked. My mileage was terrible. I know with the 4l-60 overdrive it would be better then the old turbo 350. I know you have to sacrifice mileage for power and that is okay with me, but I don't want to be getting 15 miles to the gallon either. I was wondering about an exhaust cutout. Would you put it right after where the cats would be or where the pipes merge in one, or right before the single pipe goes into the flowmaster (Like before the differential)?

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Id try launching at different rpms and just see what works.

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Ok, Thanks everybody for your help and opinions

Thread Information