Results 1 to 14 of 14

Drag Radial Pressure

This is a discussion on Drag Radial Pressure within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; What is the lowest pressure recommended for drag radials? Tire size is 305-35-18 Nitto 555 Drag Radials. I was running ...

  1. #1
    Member Nightmare00's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    119

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    Drag Radial Pressure

    What is the lowest pressure recommended for drag radials? Tire size is 305-35-18 Nitto 555 Drag Radials. I was running 17 psi and still spinning off the line.... My best 60' time was 1.87.

    A4 2000 Trans Am
    3500 Stall
    3.73 gears
    445 rwhp 438 tq

  2. #2
    Member mike302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Da Bay
    Posts
    136

    Black
    03 Cobra

    I would say like 16-18psi, I run my nitto DRs with 17 psi

  3. #3
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    It all depends on what width rim you have them on. With that short of a tire anything under 15 will do NO good.

    Also is you still have the stock springs and shocks on the rear they are a HUGE limiting factor. You need to go to the junk yard and buy a pair of used V-6 springs for the rear at the very least.

    Your stock WS6 is VERY stiff and by NO means made for weight transfer or drag racing. Push on the rear corner of your car. . . . . . . . . . . . Stiff as a truck!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  4. #4
    Member Nightmare00's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    119

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    I have not done anything with the springs... I appreciate the advise. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    No problem here to help.

    So what are the width on your rear wheels?

  6. #6
    Member Nightmare00's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    119

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    10.5

  7. #7
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    You should be close then @ 17psi. The key thing there is having an accurate low pressure gauge. You would be amazed to get a good accurate one and see how far off the cheapy regular gauges are at low pressure.

    You can also go to a smooth concrete parking lot and set it at 17psi and do a minor rolling burnout and then look at your marks. If they are uniform all the way across in color your good. That would mean you have the most uniform contact area on the track. If it is darker on the edges then you know you have already went too low. And if it's darker in the center you can still go a little lower. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

  8. #8
    Junior Member 98ta_ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    59

    black
    98transam

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    It all depends on what width rim you have them on. With that short of a tire anything under 15 will do NO good.

    Also is you still have the stock springs and shocks on the rear they are a HUGE limiting factor. You need to go to the junk yard and buy a pair of used V-6 springs for the rear at the very least.

    Your stock WS6 is VERY stiff and by NO means made for weight transfer or drag racing. Push on the rear corner of your car. . . . . . . . . . . . Stiff as a truck!
    would changin to v6 springs actually help n e ones 60ft?? or me at least...i cant get lower than 2.01 ..i have a 98 trans am. as for my suspension, its all stock....

  9. #9
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by 98ta_ra View Post
    would changin to v6 springs actually help n e ones 60ft?? or me at least...i cant get lower than 2.01 ..i have a 98 trans am. as for my suspension, its all stock....
    Yes that is why if you read my post's I tell everyone to do this before they waste money on ANY other sus. mod.

  10. #10
    Member qwk93ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, Ohio
    Age
    54
    Posts
    944

    Black
    00 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 98ta_ra View Post
    would changin to v6 springs actually help n e ones 60ft?? or me at least...i cant get lower than 2.01 ..i have a 98 trans am. as for my suspension, its all stock....

    I used V6 springs on my 93 T/A that would pull 1.7x 60' times.

  11. #11
    F BODYS RULE maxwax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    GEORGIA
    Posts
    579

    NBM
    2001 CAMARO

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    You should be close then @ 17psi. The key thing there is having an accurate low pressure gauge. You would be amazed to get a good accurate one and see how far off the cheapy regular gauges are at low pressure.

    You can also go to a smooth concrete parking lot and set it at 17psi and do a minor rolling burnout and then look at your marks. If they are uniform all the way across in color your good. That would mean you have the most uniform contact area on the track. If it is darker on the edges then you know you have already went too low. And if it's darker in the center you can still go a little lower. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    That is a great example of how to tune your suspension. I do the same thing.


    I run V6 springs in rear , no front sway bar, a drag bag with 13psi in right rear, and 255-60-16 MT/ET drag radials for 1.69 60' with a M-6.
    I am in the process of building a bracket to relocate my TQ . Arm from the rear of the trans to the drive shaft tunnel, and it will be some what adjustable, up to +or- 4 degrees.

    With the same set up I have netted a 1.85 60' time on sumotomo 315 -35-17 street tires.
    Last edited by maxwax; 07-02-2008 at 04:38 AM.

  12. #12
    Member Nightmare00's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    119

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    You should be close then @ 17psi. The key thing there is having an accurate low pressure gauge. You would be amazed to get a good accurate one and see how far off the cheapy regular gauges are at low pressure.

    You can also go to a smooth concrete parking lot and set it at 17psi and do a minor rolling burnout and then look at your marks. If they are uniform all the way across in color your good. That would mean you have the most uniform contact area on the track. If it is darker on the edges then you know you have already went too low. And if it's darker in the center you can still go a little lower. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Man thats great information!! I appreciate it. I'm going back to the track next week. I'll report back soon.

    Thanks again.

  13. #13
    Member mike302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Da Bay
    Posts
    136

    Black
    03 Cobra

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Yes that is why if you read my post's I tell everyone to do this before they waste money on ANY other sus. mod.
    What would be a good suspention upgrade/set up for a 06 LS2 GTO, My cousin has one and that thing runs real good but he just can't make it run good at the track due to traction!

  14. #14
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by mike302 View Post
    What would be a good suspention upgrade/set up for a 06 LS2 GTO, My cousin has one and that thing runs real good but he just can't make it run good at the track due to traction!
    What tire?

    BMR drag bags.

    Shit I was doing 1.55 60 fts with mine with the stock tq conerter and a set of 275/40/17 Mickey Et Drag Radials.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Drag radial tire pressure
    By ab923 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 06:10 PM
  2. Question: Tire Pressure for 275/50R15 MT Drag Radial Tire?
    By WS6ICK in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
  3. Tire pressure for drag radial
    By badblazeSS in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 07:49 AM
  4. is 255 Drag Radial enough?
    By ApexVIII in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
  5. drag radial
    By 30th290 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •