Does this sound right?

This is a discussion on Does this sound right? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here's the story. My brother and I ...

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Does this sound right?

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here's the story. My brother and I went to a spot were I practice launching my car and I noticed some paint on the road, so we stopped and got out and the line said START. We drove a little farther and found another line that said FINISH QTR MI, I thought it was cool to see that someone else was using my spot to test their car. Anyway my brother and I measured the distance to see if it was actually a 1/4 mi and found it was about 10ft. short of a 1/4.
    I dropped my brother off at the finish line with his stop watch and went down to the starting line. I warmed my tires up a little, honked the car 3 times (so my bro knew when to start the timer) and launched. I hooked pretty well and thought it was a good run, so I turn around to pick my brother up and here he is running down the road holding the stopwatch up, he gets in the car and shows me 12.61 on the watch.
    My mods are a lid, catback, a/c delete, a built transmission, and new plugs and wires. My brother and I thought it was complete bullshit, so we went and remeasured the track and once again found it to be 10ft short of a quarter mile. It was 45 degrees at about 50ft above see level with 245 fusion zri's on asphalt.
    I was expecting my car to be high to mid 13's, but a 12.61! My brother and I decided at worst we could have had a .2-.3 second error margin, which still puts me at a 12.8-12.9 on the street. Do you guys think my car should be a 12.8 car on the street?
    Feel free to call bs, because if I wasn't the one driving the car or holding the watch I would call totally bs.

Black
    00 WS6

Go to the track and find out what you can run.........

I think you are seriously under estimating the margin of error there. It's just not accurate to hand time the quarter mile it's much more then + or - .2 or .3

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I guess hand timing it is rather inaccurate, I'll take it to the track and see what happens

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Nothing like going to the track, but if your reaction time is good, and you know how to shift, stock you will be in the low 13's, with the mods you have it could be possible. If you go to the track leave the asr on and let some air out of your rear tires, that will give you solid hook up without wheel hop which is a real time robber ( that or some racing slicks, but then kiss your rearend good bye). good luck

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Nothing like going to the track, but if your reaction time is good, and you know how to shift, stock you will be in the low 13's, with the mods you have it could be possible. If you go to the track leave the asr on and let some air out of your rear tires, that will give you solid hook up without wheel hop which is a real time robber ( that or some racing slicks, but then kiss your rearend good bye). good luck
    You don't want to leave your ASR on it should always be off at the track.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Me being the inexperienced racer I don't react faster than than the computer. My very first time at infineon I ran a 13.9 with asr off, with it on I ran consistent 13.6's different things work for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Me being the inexperienced racer I don't react faster than than the computer. My very first time at infineon I ran a 13.9 with asr off, with it on I ran consistent 13.6's different things work for different people.
    Whatever works dude but you are leaving a lot of time on the table with the ASR on and you will never learn throttle management. Also if you plan more mods it will only come on more as you increase power. Sooner or later you will have to learn how to drive without it.

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    mine stays over. even driving around town.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Just ran a 13.46 today at infineon with asr on, pretty damn good for a stock car.

Thread Information