Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Bone stock '97 vette goes 13.2 again :(

Ran my 1997 Corvette to a 13.29@106 tonight. Only had time for one run and that was it. I was hoping to make it go 13.1, but I think that there's even more in the car. It was a little over 70 degrees out there tonight, the car was warm, and my 60' was only a 2.1. I think I have an honest shot at the 12s with this car, which just impresses the hell out of me. What do you think?

The best the car has run was the last time I took it to the track a little under a year ago. It was 13.2@108. Don't remember the 60'.

Chris

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

pretty nice times for all stock

10's N/A

Right on par with your average '97 C5 run. The M6 cars usually run in the 13.3-13.1 range between 106-109mph, so you did fairly well in my opinion.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I have a feelin that it'll go at least 2 tenths better before I touch anything on that car. In fact, I think I can get it into the 12s.

Chris

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    I have a feelin that it'll go at least 2 tenths better before I touch anything on that car. In fact, I think I can get it into the 12s.

Chris
    If an LS1 F-body can go 12's stock, I don't see why a Corvette can't do it. Infact, i've seen a stocker go 12.9@109, but that was an '04 model. I bet you could squeeze into the 12's in the right climate, with everything else going your way.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Right on, brother. I know this is just bench-racing but bare with me for a second. It just seems like there's a lot going for the car. It's already trapped 2 mph higher than it did the other night. On top of that there's at least another tenth in traction.... Getting that 60' down would only take a little patience and practice. Breaking into the 1.9x range should pull off a little less than 2 tenths on the big end. I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas. 3/4 vs. 1/8 of a tank is a little over 70 lbs of fuel. Plus the air was bad both nights I ran it to the 13.2. One of those runs was in July or August last year, and this run was July this year. Gimme temps in the 50s or 60s, a well prepped track, and only 1/8 of a tank, and I think the car shouldn't have any problem picking up 3 tenths and 3 mph or so.

10's N/A

Well, in that case going by all the variables you mentioned, 12 second ET's are just around the corner. Keep us posted as I am anxious now too see if you'll hit it!

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Well, that's actually going to take while. Unfortunately, I'm in Iraq until the end of NOV or the beginning of December. Though, I've been a member here since 2001, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon. So you can bet that I'll post my progress.

You know I think one slight advantage I've got over cars of the same year is the fact that I have magnesium wheels. I'm told they are quite a bit lighter than the stock aluminum wheels, and since they're rotating mass that might give me a tenth or two advantage over other similar vettes. I also don't run the run-flat radials any more. I replaced them with Toyo performance tires, but they don't seem to be performing all that well just yet.

Thanks for the chat,

Chris

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Good work for a stock 97. It looks like you can squeeze a little more out of it by reducing the 60' times. Keep in mind, if you ran in Commerce, GA (Atlanta Dragway), your elevation was roughly 1000 ft above sea level and it was a relatively warm night. With good DA, you should be able to make it into the 12's.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

I've run there before, but I'm not in GA anymore. I'm in Iraq. I was just on leave visiting my family. My car stays in their garage. The track I was running was Kilkare in Dayton, OH.

Chris

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Ran my 1997 Corvette to a 13.29@106 tonight. Only had time for one run and that was it. I was hoping to make it go 13.1, but I think that there's even more in the car. It was a little over 70 degrees out there tonight, the car was warm, and my 60' was only a 2.1. I think I have an honest shot at the 12s with this car, which just impresses the hell out of me. What do you think?

The best the car has run was the last time I took it to the track a little under a year ago. It was 13.2@108. Don't remember the 60'.

Chris
    Nice times. I wish my f-body ran that well stock. I went to forced induction before I saw those kind of numbers.

BTW...thanks for your service.
    Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Looks like you've got a pretty badass ride there, Bob. How far away from Dayton is Youngstown? Maybe you'll get a chance to smoke me... I'll give ya a thumbs up if ya do!

Chris

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Looks like you've got a pretty badass ride there, Bob. How far away from Dayton is Youngstown? Maybe you'll get a chance to smoke me... I'll give ya a thumbs up if ya do!

Chris
    I'm a little over 4 hours from Dayton. Maybe we can hook up sometime.

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Well, 4 hours is a bit of a haul, but it might be worth it if there's a car show or a kickass street scene somewhere in between. Plus, I've got a mustang that might give ya a run, and it should be ready by the time I come back from this deployment.

Chris

Maroon
    2000 Z28

I look forward to it. I love smacking around 'stangs. Do you think you'll be home next spring?

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Yeah, I definitely should be. Our expected redeployment back to the states is at the end of November. That date is always "negotiable," but there's no way it'll be extended more than 3 months unless we go to war with Iran or something extreme.

Chris

Thread Information