Anyone cutting better than 2.1 60' on Street Tires?

I'm sure there are lots of people out there doing better than myself, but I'm mostly interested in what tire they are using.

I know I could get adjustable shocks, LCAs and relocation brackets to help me out somewhat but I think a change of tire is probably in order as well.

I run 10.5x17 rims in the back with 315 nitto 555 (Street) tires and they seem to work fairly well day to day, but my local track always seems very slippery using this tire, and I find they don't like even the slightest bit of cold.

So I'm asking for anyone's personal experiene, have you run a similarly sized street tire to better 60's than myself, and if so, Who Makes That Tire > Because I Want IT!
    I would also be willing (though grudgingly) to go up to an 18" rim if better tire selection could be found, but to clear my brakes 17" is minimum.

And I'm not including street legal drag radials in my search unless they last uncharacteristically long for a DR. I've gotten 26K from my current tires but 15K is about what I need for one season so DRs are probably out.

Unrelated fact: My best launchs without a doubt are on the old highway, on almost any section of the old highway I can stall the stock converter to 1800-2000 and almost instantly put the gas to the floor without much slippage (on warm days) At the track I leave at 1400 and don't get wide open until just before 2nd. Usually turning out 2.1-2.250 60'

Ray Charles blue

First time at the track with my 2004 GT M6 I cut a 1.905 0-60ft. I was using 275/40/17 Nitto 555 S tires with maybe 4-5k miles on them.

Most people I know cut 2.0-2.25 0-60s with stock tires.

Havent had the chance to see what the Z28 will do. I have a feeling the crappy General Exclaim UHP tires will not be good.....lol

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Best 60' I ever cut with the stock RSA's was a 1.99. Only mods then were lid and headers into custom Y with an E-cutout back thru stock muffler.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

NBM
    1999 TA A4

2.00's with my Yoko S Drives in a 275/40/17

2.06-2.10 with Khumo's in a 245/50/16

Just get a second set of 17"rims and mount some DR's it only takes 5 mins to get them changed at the track.

I used to do that for my 94 TA just got the 99 TA a month ago.

I am getting some M/T DR's I hear they are the best DR.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've had some 1.98-1.99 when I had relatively new Goodyear F1 GS D3s, those were nice tires. Now the all season F1s, I can't get lower than a 2.07 so far, and it won't be pretty this weekend when I go, the tires are nearly done. Stock size tires still. I have a set of tires in the basement I might put on....

I had a 1.92 60 foot on stock BFG G-force KDWS, it's their M&S all weather tires All stock suspension and on my first pass. Even had them pumped up to 40 psi. I think with a little more seat time I could have gotten in the 1.80's easily, but I got parked for no roll bar.

There is another member here that was cutting 1.59 60 foot times on stock rubber as well. Adjustable suspension with a setup that worked well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I had a 1.92 60 foot on stock BFG G-force KDWS, it's their M&S all weather tires All stock suspension and on my first pass. Even had them pumped up to 40 psi. I think with a little more seat time I could have gotten in the 1.80's easily, but I got parked for no roll bar.

There is another member here that was cutting 1.59 60 foot times on stock rubber as well. Adjustable suspension with a setup that worked well.
    Correct. I don't recall who, but I know they were a stalled auto.

My best 60' on my stock tires was 2.06 I believe.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well then you win the prize for wringing a great 60 ft. time with stock suspension, once again proving your superiorness to us mere peasants, LOL.

But, it does take a bit of practice to do it, I try to simultaneously slip my clutch and tires, but usually get too exuberant when that last yellow comes on. I must get to the strip more often!

I'm flattered Too Fast but really I'm not even close to superiority, I've done better than that on stock F70-14 bias plys so I know there is more in it and others I've raced with cut 1.7's or better on bias plys, should be cake with these huge 275/40-17's with a bit of practice and tweaking

By the way, here it is,,,,took a while to find for a computer dummy like me. I wish this were easier to find since the subject seems to come up alot.

Check it out.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...9+street+tires

I'm flattered Too Fast but really I'm not even close to superiority, I've done better than that on stock F70-14 bias plys so I know there is more in it and others I've raced with cut 1.7's or better on bias plys, should be cake with these huge 275/40-17's with a bit of practice and tweaking

By the way, here it is,,,,took a while to find for a computer dummy like me. I wish this were easier to find since the subject seems to come up alot.

Check it out.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...9+street+tires
    From what I read, his only real change suspension wise, was installing a BMR mount for the stock torque arm so he could move the pinion angle. Some weight out of the front with a tubular K-member. Otherwise it's stock suspension.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I could only glance at this this morning, but that was a very nice 60 ft.

Here is some more to chew on. These guys know how to get it done on stock street tires.

Ever see anyone yank the wheels on stock F70-14 bias ply tires?

Feast your eyes on this.......

http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...nu-items/ghp00

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Here is some more to chew on. These guys know how to get it done on stock street tires.

Ever see anyone yank the wheels on stock F70-14 bias ply tires?

Feast your eyes on this.......

http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...nu-items/ghp00
    I read about them all the time in Muscle Car Review...

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I read about them all the time in Muscle Car Review...
    That's cool. I used to run the formy in pure stock years back, which is what morphed into this FAST series. They still have pure stock however for us poor folk It's gotten so big now it's amazing.

I sure miss it since I've moved out here on the West coast, we have nothing of the sort. I can only hope it keeps spreading and makes it's way out here, or at least within 300 miles or so.

I've got some video saved around here somewhere, for those that have never seen this you wouldn't believe it.

Here is a quick clip of one round. Watch out, never know what you might get pulling up next to an old fart
    This is a stick car too which is even more difficult to launch on little 6 inch tires.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdEauaEU6wE[/ame]

Here is how you get it done in a 4 speed car on bias plys, although there are faster ones out there, this is a good in car shot with a 1.77 60 foot time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfPiVjUdjU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Here is that SCJ mustang in the first pic yanking the wheels on bias ply tires.
    Holds the fastest pass currently. Dave Dudek who is next to him also runs in the 9's.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UcYp3yHw_g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Here is a better shot of Lane Carey's record holder.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzU0IwtvFo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Okay I think I've shown enough, now you guys don't have any excuses running these massive 275 series tires

Maybe one more, here is an outside view of Joel, appears to struggle a bit on this run.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbm_WO0Np4&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-13-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Thread Information