Thread: Am I on point?

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Am I on point?

Went to the local strip for opening day this weekend. Ran a best time of 8.723@85mph with the engine at 215 degrees. This is without my drag radials, putting those on this week. What kind of drop can I expect in my time with the addition of some BFG's?? I have a serious problem hooking up in first and second. Had to feather it to get it out in first.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

That's like a 13.6 in the full 1/4 mile. Not bad, that's about what they run stock. I have the same trouble getting out of 1, the M6 is hard to get down. Better tires and more practice you'll be landing closer to the 8.6 8.5 territory.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

More info needed to properly answer your ?. What was the 60' time?
    Are you driving through the water box? BIG NO NO! Also street tires don't want a burnout just a quick pop of the clutch to clean them off.
    Also your on a stock tune? I would adjust fan settings and get that thing down around 190*-205* max.
    But if you still have the stock stiff ass rear springs they need to go! Go to a local junkyard and buy a pair of V-6 rear coils and it will make a world of difference. Thank me later.
    I have been doing that for 15 years now and haven't had one car it didn't help greatly.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

Another trip to the strip... My best time last trip was 8.723 @ 85mph. Consistently running 8.5's now with my fastest being 8.432 @ 86mph. Haven't done anything to my car besides lid, bellow and an SLP MAF. Improved my launch, not to mention my drivin. My 60-ft time on that run was 2.046 and my reaction time was .207. My reaction is usually .0 or .1 something. What kind of 60 foot time can I expect with the drag radials?? I think if I keep the temp down, I can run a 8.3 as is.

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

reaction time is meaningless against your et.

you 60 foot is not bad with stock sized tires

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    More info needed to properly answer your ?. What was the 60' time?
    Are you driving through the water box? BIG NO NO! Also street tires don't want a burnout just a quick pop of the clutch to clean them off.
    Also your on a stock tune? I would adjust fan settings and get that thing down around 190*-205* max.
    But if you still have the stock stiff ass rear springs they need to go! Go to a local junkyard and buy a pair of V-6 rear coils and it will make a world of difference. Thank me later.
    I have been doing that for 15 years now and haven't had one car it didn't help greatly.
    I don't understand why the Street tires and water box is a NO NO. I have been racing for a few years now. I have only ran street tires once. My experience. The first run I skipped the water box and did a short n sweet burnout. Then Lined up, spun through 2nd hard, Nearly took out the guard rail. Second pass. Got my tires wet. Pull out of the box did a 5-15 sec burnout, Got them nice and hot and the car barly spun 1st and hooked good in second.

But that has just been my experience and I also was in my 2800lb 240sx so maybe there's a difference in the weight Dunno.

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

water box is definatly a no no on street tires.

unless you have very soft 15k mile street tires getting them hot won't help anyways

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    I don't understand why the Street tires and water box is a NO NO. I have been racing for a few years now. I have only ran street tires once. My experience. The first run I skipped the water box and did a short n sweet burnout. Then Lined up, spun through 2nd hard, Nearly took out the guard rail. Second pass. Got my tires wet. Pull out of the box did a 5-15 sec burnout, Got them nice and hot and the car barly spun 1st and hooked good in second.

But that has just been my experience and I also was in my 2800lb 240sx so maybe there's a difference in the weight Dunno.
    Because of tread depth.......... It retains water which runs out of the tread and causes tire spin. There is NO need what so ever to get a regular street tire wet to clean them off. A VERY minor burnout is all thats needed. A tire can't tell what weight of vehical it's on so no weight has nothing to do with it.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post

i dunno. on street tires I do a 5sec burnout because there is a sweet spot for heat on them. stock tires don't take long to get there.

I still wanna see that 240sx. the rb25 is a crazy motor. I really wanna see it.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    i dunno. on street tires I do a 5sec burnout because there is a sweet spot for heat on them. stock tires don't take long to get there.

I still wanna see that 240sx. the rb25 is a crazy motor. I really wanna see it.
    Im going to try and run at crossville next weekend. Hopefully I get a street test today.

Street tires and racing slicks/DOT slicks are made from different compounds. Generally a very light burnout to clean any debris off and put a little heat in them is all thats needed.

But each brand/model of tire varies and some may like NO burnout, some may like a little. Never seen a street tire like a real big burn out, it brings out the oils/impurities out of the tire and actually makes it a little slippier, oils from in the tire and stuff picked up on the roadways

Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

I've tried burn-outs, a quick spin to clean my tires, and just pulling straight to stage. My Nitto 555R drag radials are garbage. The best 60 ft time they have given me is 1.978. That's ridiculous when I was doing 2.031 with street tires. I'll never buy them again. I've tried every pressure from 30lbs. - 18lbs. No luck...

Thread Information