98 Ta A4

This is a discussion on 98 Ta A4 within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; 98 TA A4 121,000 miles with cutout in the I-pipe. Removed paper filter & T/B bypass. No front swaybar or ...

red

98 Ta A4

98 TA A4 121,000 miles with cutout in the I-pipe. Removed paper filter & T/B bypass. No front swaybar or spare. No lid or anything else. Any ideas on how to make this car trap 107-108?

13.44 @ 104.08
    2.09 60'
    8.79 1/8 @ 82.65

Would a fresh set of valve springs help? I would like for this car to trap 107-108.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

What do you mean no lid or anything else? I was there with just a lid, headers and my dual exhaust. But on another note.. why do you want a specific SPEED instead of time? We have a guy in the car group that is trapping 105 and hitting 12.3.. so you have to give us more.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

red

Yea I have not gotten a lid yet. I was concerned with trap speed because that is the evidence of HP. If I can get the trap speed where I want it then hooking up wont be a problem. Im interested in running a mid 12 at 107-108. I know I can go faster with that trap speed but I am giving myself a buffer.

Would a lid, underdrive pully setup, FTRA system, smooth bellow, & a ported TB get me close to a mid 12 @ 107ish?

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Trap speed isn't HP.. its traction... the higher the trap speed.. generally the more you are spinning off the line... So not really sure why you are so concerned with mph.

Black
    1998 Trans am

Actually trap speed is an indicator of HP. A given amount of HP will only push a constant mass to so much speed in 1320'. You will notice throught a session at the dragstrip, that your mph will remain in a pretty tight group, while you ET's may vary a lot. A run with a bad 60' time from tire spin will mph about the same as a run with good 60' time.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Hmmm... I'll have to check my slips now.. lol.

98 LS1blackbird is correct. I use the track all the time to tune my cars. When you do so,,,paying attention to the trap speed is the way to do it. Don't worry so much about ET's,,,the trap speed tells the true potential of a particular car, and it's a great way to tune, and alot of fun to boot.
    Once you have tuned all you can with the mph, then start worrying about the 60 foot times and the ET will follow.

Wow, TTA 104 mph out of a car with 121,000 miles isn't too shabby. Start with the simple stuff and see what happens. Put a lid on and do the free ram air mod by cutting out the shroud under the air filter to pull in more outside air in front of the radiator,,,go back and see what that gets you. Keep pecking away at it. You are only asking for 3-4 mph,,,shouldn't be too much of a problem. I am currently doing the same thing with my 02,,,,cheers. Larry.

Thread Information