Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1997 RS vs. 1986 Iroc-Z

This is a discussion on 1997 RS vs. 1986 Iroc-Z within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones That was GM's excuse,,,I am not saying it won't go in,,,,SLP did it when GM wouldn't ...

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That was GM's excuse,,,I am not saying it won't go in,,,,SLP did it when GM wouldn't offer the manual behind the 350's,,,,but GM didn't screw with it until the car was redesigned to better accomodate the larger trans.
    there was no such thing as slp back in the 80's

I didn't say 80's,,,,I said towards the end of the 3rd gen production,,,SLP was most certainly involved with 3rd gens,,,,and made a few Firehawks and such with various options,,,,,like removing the tune port setup in favor of a mini ram type setup,,,,also one of those being the 6 speed trans we were talking about.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    I didn't say 80's,,,,I said towards the end of the 3rd gen production,,,SLP was most certainly involved with 3rd gens,,,,and made a few Firehawks and such with various options,,,,,like removing the tune port setup in favor of a mini ram type setup,,,,also one of those being the 6 speed trans we were talking about.
    i know, im aware of the 91-92 firehawks and how rare they were..not to mention were beasts

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    not true... i personally know a guy who owned a 94or 95 z28 with a 5 speed factory equiped.. he had the papers and everything

gm does shit like that, if its an option that only goes on a certain kind of car chances are it went on one it wasnt supposed to (not on accident or anything)

some of it was special ordered some of it was using up parts they had extra
    this would be a special one off, not a standard production vehicle. just like the 1968 Z28 convertible. only one made. and it was for an executive of GM.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    this would be a special one off, not a standard production vehicle. just like the 1968 Z28 convertible. only one made. and it was for an executive of GM.
    they werent special one offs...they were standard production... just in few numbers. but some of them were special orders... like a special order where u tell them all the options u want... not a fully custom car

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

one day i'll have to see one.

I am with Mrr23 on this one. I have never seen nor heard of a 5 speed in an LT1. And I have seen a ton of these things.

GM wouldn't put the 5 speed behind the 350 tuned port injected cars,,,so I especially don't see it happening behind an LT1,,,an engine with higher HP and torque ratings at that.

I am pretty sure I have an article around, where Hot Rod or some other mag road tested one of the first new 93 Z28's hot off the assembly line. It was a 6 speed model I remember clearly because they did alot of praising about how you could finally get a 350 in an Fbody with a manual trans and talked about it being the same 6 speed in the vettes.

If there were in fact a few factory equipped 5 speeds in an LT1 I would have to see one to believe it. I sure don't remember any literature on it.
    With the power of the internet I would think we could look that up somehow?

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

dont take my word for it then... i didnt say i personally knew of a guy that had one that was factory equiped and had te papers to prove it or anything

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by drewhenderson13 View Post
    dont take my word for it then... i didnt say i personally knew of a guy that had one that was factory equiped and had te papers to prove it or anything
    don't worry, we won't. it's the internet.

i personally know a guy that has a uranium mine in his back yard. showed me the papers.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Dude you have no idea. I own both cars. I have had them both to the track and know what I have. The LT1 6speed is a stocker that runs 14.20's at 98 mph which is right on the money for a stocker, nothing wrong with that. But my L98 Iroc runs consistently in the 13.90's at 99 mph with less gear and an auto. They are stout pieces not to be taken lightly. On the street with my wife driving the Iroc (since it's the auto in this case) from 50 mph the Iroc consistently puts about 2 cars on the 97 Z28 everytime. Just the way it is man, not knocking the LT1's, hell I even own an LS1,,,,and I still like my LT1,,,,but a fact is a fact, and in my case our LT1 is the slowest of the 4 Fbodies we own. Keep in mind it's a bone stocker though. Don't jump to conclusions and name calling without even knowing the facts.
    My old bone stock 93 Z28 m6 car ran 13.7 @ 101 with a sliping clutch.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

don't worry, we won't. it's the internet.

i personally know a guy that has a uranium mine in his back yard. showed me the papers.

go ahead... look it up then.. u can prove urselfe wrong if u like

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

i have and nothing can be found. i'm not worried about it. just one day i'll see it in person, then believe.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

i have and nothing can be found. i'm not worried about it. just one day i'll see it in person, then believe.

that works too!

i never knew they made em either til i did see it

btw what does ur friend do with that uranium mine? u know that stufs worth a lot of money!

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by blackz-lt1 View Post
    there was no such thing as slp back in the 80's
    There was such thing as SLP back in the 80's http://www.thirdgen.org/slptpibuild-hpp-feb89

Well there ya go,,,,here they have a pair of TPI 350 cars, and the bone stocker they put a thermostat in it and bumped up the timing a couple degrees and it ran 14.20's.
    The SLP version with headers, cat back, and intake runners ran 14.0's at 100 mph. It certainly has easy 13 second potential.

Mine with just headers and cat back ran 13.90's at 99 mph. Right on the money with these other cars. My car wasn't a freak, it ran typical of these cars back then with a few tweaks.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

tpi 350s are no joke, tons of low end power.

Black/Red
    2000 Z28/1991 Z28

I see all the pissing about SLP, what motors, etc. - but not one person has questioned why they want to do a gay roll race.

Run from a dig, the end.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by 00'Z28 View Post
    I see all the pissing about SLP, what motors, etc. - but not one person has questioned why they want to do a gay roll race.

Run from a dig, the end.
    the end for which car? tpi or v6?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

No such thing as a production 5 Speed LT1 4th Gen. Surely you can easily put a Tremec TKO/3550/500/600 in an LT1 4th Gen, but they didn't come that way from the factory. The only 5 Speed readily available back then was the Borg Warner T5, such as those found in 5.0 Mustangs. They simply weren't rated for the torque of the LT1 (or the L98, for that matter).

There were some L98 3rd Gens that ran low 14s. It wasn't the most common thing in the world, but it did happen. I also laid eyeballs on a 91 Z28 at Great Lakes Dragaway back in the fall of 90 that was running very consistent 14.2s, bone stock. The guy was cooling the motor and icing the intake...but that didn't make it any less stock.

That said, the majority of 3rd Gens (and even the majority of L98s) didn't run that good. Most of the 305 cars were high 14 to low 15 second rides.

FYI, we had an 85 Z28 (305 TPI A4) that ran high 9's in the 1/8th, stock (this was in the summer of 1988). It certainly didn't set the world on fire, but it sure was a sharp car.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    No such thing as a production 5 Speed LT1 4th Gen. Surely you can easily put a Tremec TKO/3550/500/600 in an LT1 4th Gen, but they didn't come that way from the factory. The only 5 Speed readily available back then was the Borg Warner T5, such as those found in 5.0 Mustangs. They simply weren't rated for the torque of the LT1 (or the L98, for that matteer.
    yes they did

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information