Thread: 13.02... lol

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

13.02... lol

Yep, a 13.02. I'd been thinking that the Nitto's would help me get my 2.1 second 60' times down and put me in the 12's, but they didn't actually help that much. Here's the breakdown:

2.0556 60'
    5.5640 330
    8.4499 1/8th
    85.83 1/8th MPH
    13.0227 1/4
    106.26 1/4 MPH

I was pretty pissed but I couldn't do any better all night.

My mods are pretty nonexistent, a cutout on the stock exhaust system, plugs/wires, 42lb injectors tuned in properly (hopefully there'll be a reason for them to be in there in the future...?), TB bypass, lid, and !MAF and tune. The new mods from my 13.21 were simply the !MAF and the injectors, I've been fiddling with the tune a lot but haven't had any money for parts. I think a TB would probably help with my intake, it flows very well but is more than the motor needs at this point. Also in the works will be an LS6 manifold and some sort of exhaust system, might just chop the muffler or something. Anyway, I was pleased to learn that my tuning had paid off somewhat but I didn't get to test out my different shift points or anything so who knows, maybe it had more in it that I didn't tap into. I just wanted to hit that 12.999.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    Yep, a 13.02. I'd been thinking that the Nitto's would help me get my 2.1 second 60' times down and put me in the 12's, but they didn't actually help that much. Here's the breakdown:

2.0556 60'
    5.5640 330
    8.4499 1/8th
    85.83 1/8th MPH
    13.0227 1/4
    106.26 1/4 MPH

I was pretty pissed but I couldn't do any better all night.

My mods are pretty nonexistent, a cutout on the stock exhaust system, plugs/wires, 42lb injectors tuned in properly (hopefully there'll be a reason for them to be in there in the future...?), TB bypass, lid, and !MAF and tune. The new mods from my 13.21 were simply the !MAF and the injectors, I've been fiddling with the tune a lot but haven't had any money for parts. I think a TB would probably help with my intake, it flows very well but is more than the motor needs at this point. Also in the works will be an LS6 manifold and some sort of exhaust system, might just chop the muffler or something. Anyway, I was pleased to learn that my tuning had paid off somewhat but I didn't get to test out my different shift points or anything so who knows, maybe it had more in it that I didn't tap into. I just wanted to hit that 12.999.
    Was the track cold? The reason I'm asking is because the auto cars in my area (Michigan) hit 1.7-1.8 60 foot times with Nitto's. My best using Nitto drags is 1.84 with a 6speed and factory 3.42 gears.
    One thing I have learned with Nitto's are to seriously heat them up big time and they will stick! I've also found that 22psi works the best also.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Yeah. I was running them at 35 at first because that's what they were on from the shop where I got them installed and we were just out for a few minutes so I knew I'd want them around 28-30 at least for the drive home. If I'd just had more time to spend I would have probably gotten down deeper, but the 13.02 was at 35 and I couldn't do better even with a bigger burnout and lower pressure. The fact that I was hotlapping the car didn't help either.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Yeah. I was running them at 35 at first because that's what they were on from the shop where I got them installed and we were just out for a few minutes so I knew I'd want them around 28-30 at least for the drive home. If I'd just had more time to spend I would have probably gotten down deeper, but the 13.02 was at 35 and I couldn't do better even with a bigger burnout and lower pressure. The fact that I was hotlapping the car didn't help either.
    Well, you'll get it next time!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I'm looking to improve significantly before next time I go back out there. I want to keep my internals but should I add a wet kit, exhaust (my cutout doesn't make any difference), p&p TB, (not headers either, too much PITA) or anything else you guys can think of? Stock rearend so we're just going to have to make her more powerful and keep limping off the line, no suspension work til after rearend gets replaced, I already have subframe connectors.

Thoughts? I already have hptuners, !MAF, tb bypass, optimized ramair setup, and a cutout on the y-pipe. I'm looking to spend as little money as possible, also, btw.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I'm looking to improve significantly before next time I go back out there. I want to keep my internals but should I add a wet kit, exhaust (my cutout doesn't make any difference), p&p TB, (not headers either, too much PITA) or anything else you guys can think of? Stock rearend so we're just going to have to make her more powerful and keep limping off the line, no suspension work til after rearend gets replaced, I already have subframe connectors.

Thoughts? I already have hptuners, !MAF, tb bypass, optimized ramair setup, and a cutout on the y-pipe. I'm looking to spend as little money as possible, also, btw.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

By far, the most gains for the least price is Nitrous. I would not do a wet kit unless you were injecting it directly into the intake runner just before it goes into the cylinder head. A wet kit can be an accident waiting to happen if the fuel flows through the intake! The LS1 intake is designed only to flow air, the fuel sprayed in with a wet kit could cause puddling in your intake which can explode at any hiccup.
    I recommend a dry kit with a 100-125hp jets. Be sure and plumb it in before your MAF sensor so it can change your fuel mixture during spraying. Don't exceed 125hp (even though many have including me) because your fuel system and computer can't adjust the fuel curves accordingly. Even at 125 shot its very borderline of running to lean.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

I do have the 42lb injectors needed to run a dry kit above 125 hp but I lack the MAF at the present moment. If I do go back to a MAF, it will be a screened stocker that will not be able to flow nitrous through without damage to the screen which would then be sucked into the intake - a bad idea. Or is that an acceptable risk with an LS1? I know the 3.8's have that issue. By any stretch of the imagination, a direct port kit is out of my price range and a wet shot could be mounted right behind the throttle body and jetted to 75 or so in order to prevent fuel puddling. I didn't realize that was such an issue with these cars.

hugger orange

with the bigger injectors you have and some tuning you could run a 150 shot no problem......but if I were you I'd get your tune where you like it, save it to run every day. then setup a separate nitrous tune with some more fuel and a few degrees retard in your timing, save it and run it when you use the nitrous

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

it would probably affect my sparkmap, running nitrous at all, by upping the g/cyl figure from .8 to at least .84 and I could reduce the spark below the highest point it goes NA on the table in HPTuners to simulate a 'best of both worlds' setup. Also, I have tuned it with my cutout open - I could close that to rich up the mix a tad for the giggle juice. I need to get a WB first to see where I stand though, I could be real rich or real lean right now and I have next to no knock retard so I really can't tell at WOT. It's like being blind.

hugger orange

it would probably affect my sparkmap, running nitrous at all, by upping the g/cyl figure from .8 to at least .84 and I could reduce the spark below the highest point it goes NA on the table in HPTuners to simulate a 'best of both worlds' setup. Also, I have tuned it with my cutout open - I could close that to rich up the mix a tad for the giggle juice. I need to get a WB first to see where I stand though, I could be real rich or real lean right now and I have next to no knock retard so I really can't tell at WOT. It's like being blind.
    lol sounds like you have been doing alot of tinkering too. i like the HPtuners, but there is so much to learn

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

put a 3000 stall on. it's making me happy

I think it should be good for at least a 12.5 - it ROARS off the line now, so say .3 there and of course the fact that it now has more room to work with after the launch should probably help another .2 out. forget nitrous and loud ass exhaust systems - I'm thinking wb if anything else - ev4r lol. mods cost too much :P

hugger orange

put a 3000 stall on. it's making me happy

I think it should be good for at least a 12.5 - it ROARS off the line now, so say .3 there and of course the fact that it now has more room to work with after the launch should probably help another .2 out. forget nitrous and loud ass exhaust systems - I'm thinking wb if anything else - ev4r lol. mods cost too much :P
    lc-1 wideband is around $200 (thats what I'm running) easily ties into hptuners.
    keep your eye out for a good cheap set of stainless longtube headers on ebay, they should really help you out

Thread Information