Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

12.704 @ 117.97mph

This is a discussion on 12.704 @ 117.97mph within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Once I order my new rear I was planning on having it shipped with 4.30gears. I have 4.10's now, does ...

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Once I order my new rear I was planning on having it shipped with 4.30gears. I have 4.10's now, does anyone think this will hurt me at all. I don't think it should but want some other imput on it. THANKS
    99 z28 cam,m6 ,S60 4.56gears,Fast 90/90 full boltons,more mods one day.
    11.2 @ 123mph.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

With stock heads/cam, 4.30s might be too much unless you step up to a 28" tire. For example, 115 mph with 4.10s and a 26" tire will turn the motor to ~6100 rpm. 4.30s would turn it to almost 6400 rpm.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

I'm not sure on the height of my tire now. I'll have to measure , I kinda think it might be close too 28". I know the tire size, it's a 295-35-18.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Those are very close to stock - about 26.1". Also, low profile tires like that aren't real good for traction, which is another reason not to go with 4.30s.

FYI...to get approximate tire height.....multiply section width by height (with a decimal). Multiply the product by 2. Divide that by 25.4, then add the wheel diameter. For yours it looks like this:

295 * .35 * 2 / 25.4 + 18 = 26.1299...

black
    '99 T/A

my head hurts...

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Thanks. That stinks, I thought the 4.30's would be good, I really wasn't planning on having 4.10's in the rear when I order it.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

I think I'll just go with the 4.30gears. I'll just change my tire brand. I know they say the Nittos don't hook as good, but they make a 305/45/18 and it's 28''tall. So I'll just have too try them out I guess. What I really want is a set of Welds or something, but that's not going to happen this season.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

What's the point of putting in a lower gear (higher numerically) only to "kill it" with a tall tire?

Answer - none. The effective gear ratio of a 4.10/26" combo and a 4.30/28" combo is pretty much the same. For drag racing, the only reason to step up to a larger tire is to get better traction. However, that really only applies to a race tire (like slicks). Honestly, with what you're doing, you'd be wasting your money - IMHO.

Unless you plan to run slicks at the track (and do a lot of track time), I would stick with the 4.10s and a stock-height tire.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

You make a good point. But I will be eventually getting a set of drag slicks. Just not this year. At least I can't see it happening. I do appreciate your input though. When I get the rear, I really don't feel like changing gears when the time comes for slicks. It sounds dumb and I know I can do gears because I've done them already, I just don't feel like doing it if I can avoid it right off the bat.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Then when the time comes to get slicks, just get a set of 26x10s and be done with it - they will work great with the 4.10 gear, and will weigh a lot less than the 28s too.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

You make another good point. Just ordered the rear today, ended up getting an S60. Was going with the 12bolt from Strange w/True Trac, but ended up finding out that the True Trac wasn't setup for their axles so went with the S60 with the True Trac. Ordered it from Eric at Midwest Chassis & Performance, Inc. He gives a pretty good deal on them and the 12bolt.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Like I posted before, I hear the Nittos don't hook that great but are they really that bad? If it just takes a longer burnout to get them to hook is that really all that bad? They can't be a total waste of money I hope!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    Like I posted before, I hear the Nittos don't hook that great but are they really that bad? If it just takes a longer burnout to get them to hook is that really all that bad? They can't be a total waste of money I hope!
    They are if your trying to hook and make a quick pass!!! It doesn't matter if you do a John Force burnout....... Making them too hot makes them spin more than if you just went around the waterbox like you should anyways and did a quick spin to clean them off. If your planning on making a decent amount of power Nittos are not going hook. Buy some Mickey's or at least BFG's if your going to buy some drag radials.
    I'm doing 1.28 60 foots on Mickey's 275/60/15's. And that's spraying 250 right out the gate!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

I agree, go with the mickey drag radials, I ran BFG before that, and love the mickeys even more. My 60 foot has been as quick as 1.59 in a 4,108 lbs. car on the motor.
    And yes, going with a taller tire will give you more contact patch. Don't necessarily have to go wider. In classes that limit tire width, like a 10.5 inch tire class for example,,,ever look at those cars? The tires may only be 10.5 inches wide but they all run at least a 30 inch tall tire or more, you get more contact to the ground from the larger diameter, then you run more rearend gear to compensate. This is nothing new and yes it's benificial. Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Went 11.9 at 117.82 last night.
    1.81 short time.

You will probably lose a little trap speed when you hook better. But not much.
    Good luck next time out!!!
    yeah, 11.9 in Colorado = more or less 11.2 corrected sea level

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by z28misfit View Post
    I have the spec 3 clutch, stock 10 bolt with 4.10gears. I would have thought that 17 or 18psi would be too high. By the way, I just broke my ring gear for the second time this year. So therefore the car is parked for the year untill I get a stronger rear and figure out what I'm going to do for suspension.
    yeah if u run better than high 11s with good traction tires a 12bolt would be very desirable at that point.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Well I'm currently running a BFG 295-35-18 drag radial. It didn't work out yet but I'm finding out that I ran the pressure too low so I'll have to try with a littlw more pressure. I'm not really in the market for a set of welds plus 4 tires yet, so I'll have to make do.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

My rear is should be hear around Tuesday. I went with the S60 and had to get 4.56's in it since it wouldn't be till another month or so untill the got the 4.30's back in stock. So now I definitely need a bigger tire. I think those gears might make me tach just a little too hard at the end of the track. So bigger tires and heads are prolly gonna go on to help out alittle.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

Also if I didn't post it before, all my runs was with stock suspension. I got all my suspension parts the other week or so. Hopefully it will help the 60' out.

black
    1999 camaro

Well if you decide to sell those wheels I know one black z28 i think they would look pretty good on lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information