Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

12.3 @ 109 possible on street tires?

This is a discussion on 12.3 @ 109 possible on street tires? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post the 11.49 for a roll bar issue is for NA cars only, last i ...

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    the 11.49 for a roll bar issue is for NA cars only, last i read. nitrous makes you go back to the 11.99 rule. convertibles are 12.99
    Blkcloud: I have never seen that in the NHRA rulebook. Please provide reference page and paragraph number.

Actually about the only NHRA classes that allow Nitrous are ProMod, Funny Car
    and Top Fuel and they ALL require Roll Cages regardless of ET and/or speed.
    Nitrous is not legal in the usual 'street' car classes.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

My friend, go to any NHRA track on any given street night and you will see MANY street cars running Nitrous. A whole bunch of them will be running 12s, 13s, even 14s without a bar - legally. Those that run 11.49 or faster are required to have a rollbar (in addition to other things, such as a jacket, 5 pt harness, etc). The NHRA has certain safety requirements for N2O (such as where and how the bottle is installed) - but nothing dealing with rollbars until you hit a certain ET (11.49 for hardtop cars) or a certain mph (130 or 135...can't remember which).

FYI, rollbars aren't the same as "roll cages". 5 pt rollbars are good to 10.00. A certified cage is required at 9.99. Going quicker than 7.50 (which is where Funny Car and Top Fuel would fall) requires even more.

BTW, this applies only to hardtop cars. Convertibles require a bar at a slower ET.

Nitrous is absolutely NOT allowed in Funny Car or Top Fuel.

Other than that, I agree with your entire post.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    My friend, go to any NHRA track on any given street night and you will see MANY street cars running Nitrous. A whole bunch of them will be running 12s, 13s, even 14s without a bar - legally.

Nitrous is allowed in E.T. classes and A/PM ONLY. BUT many run a lot of stuff they probably shouldn't at "Test 'n Tune" nights.

Those that run 11.49 or faster are required to have a rollbar (in addition to other things, such as a jacket, 5 pt harness, etc). The NHRA has certain safety requirements for N2O (such as where and how the bottle is installed) - but nothing dealing with rollbars until you hit a certain ET (11.49 for hardtop cars) or a certain mph (130 or 135...can't remember which).

135mph

FYI, rollbars aren't the same as "roll cages". 5 pt rollbars are good to 10.00. A certified cage is required at 9.99. Going quicker than 7.50 (which is where Funny Car and Top Fuel would fall) requires even more.

BTW, this applies only to hardtop cars. Convertibles require a bar at a slower ET.

Roll Bars are mandatory in cars running 11:00 to 11:49
    " " " " " Verts " 11:00 to 13:49
    Roll Cages " " " cars " 10:99 or quicker (incl verts)
    BUT there is an exception for full bodied cars with unaltered firewall, floor and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted) running between 10:00 and 10:99 roll bar permitted in place of roll cage.

Nitrous is absolutely NOT allowed in Funny Car or Top Fuel.

I should have said: "Nitromethane and Methanol ONLY allowed" in those classes. Nitrous Oxide (N2O) is not the same as Nitromethane (CH3NO2).

Other than that, I agree with your entire post.
    Thanks for the corrections. It's always a little risky making blanket statements about so many classes and I should point out that my posting
    ONLY refers to NHRA rules since I have no involvement with any other drag racing organization.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Just to clarify, "Test n Tune nights" do not fall under any 'class'. The safety rules thus fall into the ET range the car is running. There simply is no rule that states if you run N2O, you must have a rollbar.

Of course, whether or not a track aggresively enforces NHRA safety rules is a whole nuther topic all together. Many don't - and people get away with running a lot of...."junk".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information