Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

10's Possible?

This is a discussion on 10's Possible? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Thanks guys, yea not being a mechanic that might get very pricey, think im gonna stick w/ heads and cam ...

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Thanks guys, yea not being a mechanic that might get very pricey, think im gonna stick w/ heads and cam and if I need more ill set up some juice.

A decent head/cam setup on an LS1 will get you 11's, and it doesn't have to be that radical to do it. Plenty fast for a daily driven street car.

Red
    99 Z28

or just throw some spray to it and be done. lol

Spray is fun for a while. Eventually I get tired of filling up the bottles, and it's getting harder to find a place to fill them nowadays too. Seems alot of local speed shops are going out of business.
    I don't see spray as being any cheaper than a head/cam setup either. I easily sunk $2000 in a nitrous setup to do it right.

Red
    99 Z28

I have about 5 business fill it up around me and two of them are good friends that I can send a text to and get filled up anytime which makes it nice. And yea it does get old and it does add up if you count the nitrous bottle fills and the fact I own 5 bottles adds up as well. And i easily have over 1200 in my setup and its only a dry shot! lol.

There are ALOT of other factors that have to do with running any time. To say a certain h/c/i or spray shot or power adder will run a certain is obviously wrong. For instance I stated what my car has done. I have had 4 friends that have had h/c/i with spray run slower than me. And my best friend had t rex cam, intake, 243 heads, strange 12 bolt with 4.56s and ran the same exact time as me.

And I agree. as long as install is not part of the cost, they do come out about equal. IF DONE RIGHT! (keyword)

Black
    1993 Trans Am

I would say that those 3.42 gears are going to be a major factor in the time. Most guys prefer 4.11 for this version of the 6spd. I would only do so if your doing strictly drag with the vehicle. If you want to go through the rpms fast but still have a semi-streetable car with the power you want, I would go 3.90s. But either way your 10 bolt is going to blow apart unless you do some c-clip eliminators while your in there. Screw the 10 bolt all together get a 12 bolt with strange axles, c clip elminators a new spool and 3.90s. My fathers car does 10.5s religiously with this setup and 505hp 496fptq. But your driving skill and practice you have on the strip is going to play between .5 and 1.0 sec. difference. the dana is also a good diff. and doesn't need to be shimmed but its like adding a iron sled to the rear half of the vehicle in comparison. With the 3.42s, if the diff. doesn't blow i can't see you getting better than 12.1. It just won't scream through the rpms enough. The 10 bolt is notorious for blowing up when you add alot of traction too. just something to think about.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Yea well aware of the 10 bolt...been driving these cars since the late 90's....like I said previously a buddy ran a 12.1 w/ identical mods as I have now minus the intake and tb so I know it will atleast do that....guess there's only one way to find out.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I noticed you have a 3600 converter which brand?? What do you run for wheels and tires?? I run 11.5's with a 1.58 60' 231/237,4000 TCI,3.73's,headers with dual's dropped at the axle and skinny's and slick's. What kind of 60' do you cut. Drop your 60' and watch the 1/4 mile time drop. I have a custom set of heads I need to put on to try for a 10.99.. I do have a bottle I could install but would prefer to go 10's na.. I think you're looking at low 12's or a high 11 with your current setup without more info. Must of it depends on setup.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think the cam-only record for a LS1 is 10.29 @ 128mph. Obviously, that is running a huge converter, big boy cam, full slicks, and something like a TH350 for a tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I think the cam-only record for a LS1 is 10.29 @ 128mph. Obviously, that is running a huge converter, big boy cam, full slicks, and something like a TH350 for a tranny.
    And I'm betting it's lightened significantly, probably in the 3,000 lbs. range with a driver and fuel. More than likely alot of rear gear too, more than people seem willing to run on this site.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And I'm betting it's lightened significantly, probably in the 3,000 lbs. range with a driver and fuel. More than likely alot of rear gear too, more than people seem willing to run on this site.
    I hear ya. Not exactly a "daily driver". It by all means is possible to run deep into the 10's on a cam-only car though with the right set-up as we both know. Another guy I saw was running a little milder set-up (still an aggressive cam and high stall) and was hitting 10.7X. His weight was 3250 with him in it.

Makes someone like me a little sick considering what I have into my car and I'll be happy to hit a low 11, but realistically will probably be at around a 11.5/6.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Yup running 10's can be done but it does take a huge verter,big cam,gears and slicks. I had never planned on going 10's cam only myself. But I am happy with my cam only 11.5's.....
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 12-30-2011 at 08:19 AM.

I hear ya. It's all a matter of what you are willing to put up with. There are some very quick street cars out there, some gutted, some are full weight.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

an 11 second street car is no joke and probably much faster than most things driving on the streets for sure.

an 11 second street car is no joke and probably much faster than most things driving on the streets for sure.
    Agreed. And the chances of even running into another true 11 second car on the street is slim to none. Most people don't drive that stuff on a regular basis. I know I don't.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I do......in the summer......on nice days........

I agree though, they are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I do......in the summer......on nice days........

I agree though, they are few and far between.
    I do too, on nice days. We have alot of those out here in AZ. It's just not often you see others though. Even on nice days, if you do run into other cars, most of them are going to be 12 or 13 second rides. Even a 12 second car is quick and fun to drive....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I do too, on nice days. We have alot of those out here in AZ. It's just not often you see others though. Even on nice days, if you do run into other cars, most of them are going to be 12 or 13 second rides. Even a 12 second car is quick and fun to drive....
    Not so many nice days up here. And sadly, many of the nicer cars that could possibly do 11s, people rarely take them out of the garage.

Although, talk to anyone 20 or under with a car around my area, and they run 11s ........

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Not so many nice days up here. And sadly, many of the nicer cars that could possibly do 11s, people rarely take them out of the garage.

Although, talk to anyone 20 or under with a car around my area, and they run 11s ........
    Yep, such a misconception, alot of smack talk from people that have no idea what it takes to accomplish something like that. Live and learn I guess.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I find it SO strange how now all of a sudden I get respect from people on crotch rockets. Before, they always would yell out shit to me...mainly, get a real car, etc crap. Now, they actually ride up beside my car, talk to me, and want to know what's done to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information