Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1/8 mile times to expect

This is a discussion on 1/8 mile times to expect within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft There's no need to get into complocated theories and such.... Is a 245/255 DR better than ...

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    There's no need to get into complocated theories and such....

Is a 245/255 DR better than a 315 street radial? Not to be a dick, but your laws of physics have no bearing on this. You're getting into tire compound, and you would have to read a little further into it. Whats the tire composed of? When scuffed at a certain temperature, what is the end result? At what temperature of the contact surface, would you get staggering differences of results? The variance between them? This is too much....
    this is what i was saying.. and technically they do have a bearing on it because the better compound has a higher coefficient of friction so

but yes, i agree with you that i need more practice. i never pushed the car out of the whole hard enough to spin the tires, and i know i shift slow between gears.. if i shorten both of those up, i should hop in the 8s

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    this is what i was saying.. and technically they do have a bearing on it because the better compound has a higher coefficient of friction so
    Street radials are an all purpose tire. Made to drive year round, so that customers can get the most out of their vehicle, no matter what the conditions of the road may be. Some perform better than others, in certain areas, and vice-versa.

Drag Radials are street legal, more or less engineered, developed, and delivered to install on cars that are asked to perform at the track, as well as on the street, in favorable conditions.

What I'm telling you, is that your "laws of physics" is "technically" played out of this equation. I've had 295s on the rear of my old '01 WS6 (BFG KDW)... I'd say the grip is a mere fraction of what ANY decent DR would give you. I've had old style Nittos and the ETs from Mickey. But how is the vehicle used? Daily driving duties? Weekend car? Probably a safe bet to assume it's not a purpose-built track mule since you're comparing radial tires...

I DD the pewter car, a pair of DRs on some BS wheels are nice to have, however the 245/50/16 Fuzions will stay on, until it makes another triip back to the track. DRs are still a street tire, but after a couple hard days work, not keeping up with the weather, I wouldn't like to be woken up one morning to be getting poured on, and have to run 65-70mph while being propelled by DRs. And if you do, stay the hell away from me. I'll probably opt for Hoosiers when I shop around for slicks, my 2 buddies have ran them and loved the hell out of 'em, but I still have some researching to do before the white car hits the track in the spring. Think about what you're trying to accomplish, and what you're realistic purpose will be with the car. DRs are awesome for people with a short/low speed commute or atleast those who don't live in a high precipitation geographic location. And when you go back to the track, don't forget to check back in and let us know how things have gone

Cheers
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 12-01-2010 at 06:37 PM.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Street radials are an all purpose tire. Made to drive year round, so that customers can get the most out of their vehicle, no matter what the conditions of the road may be. Some perform better than others, in certain areas, and vice-versa.

Drag Radials are street legal, more or less engineered, developed, and delivered to install on cars that are asked to perform at the track, as well as on the street, in favorable conditions.

What I'm telling you, is that your "laws of physics" is "technically" played out of this equation. I've had 295s on the rear of my old '01 WS6 (BFG KDW)... I'd say the grip is a mere fraction of what ANY decent DR would give you. I've had old style Nittos and the ETs from Mickey. But how is the vehicle used? Daily driving duties? Weekend car? Probably a safe bet to assume it's not a purpose-built track mule since you're comparing radial tires...

I DD the pewter car, a pair of DRs on some BS wheels are nice to have, however the 245/50/16 Fuzions will stay on, until it makes another triip back to the track. DRs are still a street tire, but after a couple hard days work, not keeping up with the weather, I wouldn't like to be woken up one morning to be getting poured on, and have to run 65-70mph while being propelled by DRs. And if you do, stay the hell away from me. I'll probably opt for Hoosiers when I shop around for slicks, my 2 buddies have ran them and loved the hell out of 'em, but I still have some researching to do before the white car hits the track in the spring. Think about what you're trying to accomplish, and what you're realistic purpose will be with the car. DRs are awesome for people with a short/low speed commute or atleast those who don't live in a high precipitation geographic location. And when you go back to the track, don't forget to check back in and let us know how things have gone

Cheers
    Thanks for the information!
    I only go to the track once a year, so I will only be using street tires.

This leads me to my next question:

ALL things held constant (temp, conditions, track prep, etc)

Hoosiers, Nittos, etc: Is it true that a 315 tire would have more traction than a 275 on the same rim?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Hoosiers, Nittos, etc: Is it true that a 315 tire would have more traction than a 275 on the same rim?
    Most would argue that a 315 would have more hook by a HUUUGE margin. I'm the minority, that agrees while it would have more hook, it's not worth the price difference, between all 4, because I have yet to see a comparison that proves the huge margin of difference

You also have to consider the weight penalty going to a larger tire like that.

I agree with mastercraft. I don't think I'd jump right into a larger tire in hopes of gaining a little traction advantage. You might want to work with what you have first. Honestly you shouldn't have all that much trouble with a 275/40-17 tire with a little practice and some tricks. Even a 275/50-16 has a pretty wide contact patch.

If you are going to spend money on larger tires, and are that worried about traction, it would make more sense to invest in another set of spare wheels and buy a pair of drag radials for them.
    Then when you want to hook for certain, just throw them on the car and drive it to the track.
    Would also make more sense to start working tricks on the suspension first before throwing tires at it.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You also have to consider the weight penalty going to a larger tire like that.

I agree with mastercraft. I don't think I'd jump right into a larger tire in hopes of gaining a little traction advantage. You might want to work with what you have first. Honestly you shouldn't have all that much trouble with a 275/40-17 tire with a little practice and some tricks. Even a 275/50-16 has a pretty wide contact patch.

If you are going to spend money on larger tires, and are that worried about traction, it would make more sense to invest in another set of spare wheels and buy a pair of drag radials for them.
    Then when you want to hook for certain, just throw them on the car and drive it to the track.
    Would also make more sense to start working tricks on the suspension first before throwing tires at it.
    well i dont plan on buying any tires honestly. I'm just trying to figure out how these things work. A good buddy of mine plans on purchasing street 315s for his mustang possibly for the track use only and i have told him it makes much more sense to just buy a real drag radial in say a 275 size...

i will stick with my 275 sumitomo htrzIIIs for now and blame my bad times on my horrible driving, i need more practice.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

well i dont plan on buying any tires honestly. I'm just trying to figure out how these things work. A good buddy of mine plans on purchasing street 315s for his mustang possibly for the track use only and i have told him it makes much more sense to just buy a real drag radial in say a 275 size...

i will stick with my 275 sumitomo htrzIIIs for now and blame my bad times on my horrible driving, i need more practice.
    Thats basically the same thing i was going to do. I needed new street tires so i figured why not get 305s theyd be nice but then i remember SR's arent very good on the track no matter what you really have.. So i got 295s and im going to buy some nitto 555r DR's for the stockers. I cant wait for that!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I wish I would have went with Mickey Thompson DR's....

Nitto's suck balls at the track.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I wish I would have went with Mickey Thompson DR's....

Nitto's suck balls at the track.
    Really? How come? Youre talking about the nitto DR's right?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    Really? How come? Youre talking about the nitto DR's right?
    Yes. My best 60' with them is a 1.906. I'm a M6. This is even after heating them up quite a bit. They don't grip at all out of the hole.

On the street they work pretty good though.

Sounds like 35th has had the same experiences I've had with Nitto drag radials.

Many years back the BFG drag radials were about the first DOT radial on the market, and I was running those with decent success on my chevelle. I gave the Nitto's a shot after the BFG's were done, and my 60 foot times suffered a bit. They weren't terrible tires, but not good enough for what I wanted to do, trying to hook a 4100 lbs. car with 640 HP on a little 275/60 isn't the easiest to do.
    About that time Mickey Thompson drag radials came out, I pulled the Nittos and sold them with about 1/2 life left. Bought the Mickeys and I've never looked back. I have gotten my best 60 foot times with them out of all the tires I've tried. Even matched my 60 foot with a pair of Goodyear Eagle slicks I'd run on the car occasionally.

I run the Mickey's 100% of the time on the car now, and my father does the same with his car as well.

After all these years, Nitto's may have gotten better, and I've read where they have come out with some new sticky DOT's that work well, and what interests me even more is the new drag radials from M&H Racemaster.
    But since the Mickey's are working so well for me I really don't see a reason to change at this point.

Yes. My best 60' with them is a 1.906. I'm a M6. This is even after heating them up quite a bit. They don't grip at all out of the hole.

On the street they work pretty good though.
    Haha, ya I wouldn't be too happy with that either. I get 60 foot times like that in my 4th gen on stock BFG KDWS's

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Well im looking at some MT's and im wondering what i should get? Its going to go on the stock ws6 17 inch wheel but i dont know if i should get their DR's or SR's. I know you guys need more info than that but they will be for the track ONLY.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Haha, ya I wouldn't be too happy with that either. I get 60 foot times like that in my 4th gen on stock BFG KDWS's
    Exactly. I know I need to practice my launches more with them, but I was cutting 2.0X with stock rubber.

When they wear out, I'll be putting MTs on the back and running them all the time. My car sees pretty low miles.

Exactly. I know I need to practice my launches more with them, but I was cutting 2.0X with stock rubber.

When they wear out, I'll be putting MTs on the back and running them all the time. My car sees pretty low miles.
    That's really the way to do it if you're serious about it. Put em on and leave em on.
    It's nice for those unexpected street encounters too

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

That's really the way to do it if you're serious about it. Put em on and leave em on.
    It's nice for those unexpected street encounters too
    How are the MTs with driving them on the street? Do they wear fast?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    How are the MTs with driving them on the street? Do they wear fast?
    Estimated about 5K miles...10K with the Nittos.

All depends on how you drive your car honestly...it will be different for everyone.

I have about 6K on my Nitto's and they look brand new still. Have about 6 or so passes with them only and the other miles are street only, driving the car spiritedly from time to time.

The above numbers are what I've seen "on average".

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Estimated about 5K miles...10K with the Nittos.

All depends on how you drive your car honestly...it will be different for everyone.

I have about 6K on my Nitto's and they look brand new still. Have about 6 or so passes with them only and the other miles are street only, driving the car spiritedly from time to time.

The above numbers are what I've seen "on average".
    alright thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information