Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam WS6

Will they fit a 1998 WS6? Aftermarket c6 rims....

What's up all. So it looks like my ws6 is going to be needing tires soon and I figured I would try to pick up a set of rims as well. I was originally going to drop some OEM c6 wheels on the car and know that they fit with a 1.5 spacer on the rear. (my suspension is all stock). A local set of some nice used aftermarket rims on a C6 came up (guy sold his car with the oems i guess) and I'm wondering if these will fit my 1998 ws6 (stock suspension) using hopefully around the same size spacer (1.5" for rear, none for front?). they are:

19 X 9 in the front 20 X 10.5 in the rear.
    Tires
    Michelin Sport Pilots
    255/35/z19 Front
    285/30/z20 Rear

I'm thinking of picking these up soon. Will they fit?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

There is a good chance the rears will rub even with the spacer. If it was me unless he is selling them dirt cheap I would hit up OE wheels and take a look at what they have. Their stuff is made for f-bodies are relatively cheap and you won't need spacers which can cause problems.

Depending on what wheels you have now you can sell them for almost as much as a new set from OE will cost you. I sold my ws6 wheels and after shipping and everything the oe ones only cost me about a 100 out of pocket.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam WS6

I'll check out some other styles, but these would be pretty awesome if they end up fitting. I calculated the tire diameters for what I have now, stock c6, and these rims:

what I have now on rear (255, 17", 40) come out to around 25 in diameter

C6 stock rears are: 285 19" 35 26.85" diameter

These aftermarket C6 rear rims I'm looking at are 285 20" 30 26.7" diameter (fronts are 255 35 19 - i think around the same diameter give or take a hair as front stock c6 rims)

From what I read, front oem c6's rims bolt right up to a ws6 with no spacer needed.

I've seen people stick 20" CCWs and other rims etc. on the rear of ws6's and know that stock c6 rears fit with a 1.5" spacer on each side. These are a hair shorter than stock c6's and should be about the same width.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I might be missing that would make the rears harder to fit on my car than stock oem C6 rears

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

All depends on the offset. Front yeah shouldn't be a problem I have 10.5 width on the front no problem. It's the rears were it will get iffy. If the offset is near 56 mm you should be OK if not your probably gonna rub or at least need spacers. Which can be fine but I've seen some bad stuff with spacers happen. Lots of sheared bolts and wheels falling off. But get some quality ones that fit well and you may be ok. Most people are just fine but its one of those things I wouldn't dare fate with.

Other thing is ride quality I've ridden in a car with 20s on the rear and that difference of 5 in tire height makes a huge difference. But if your like me and you don't mind it then go for it.
    Last edited by raynor139; 06-22-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I had 20s on my car and they fit perfectly especially in the rear. I really didn't notice that much of a difference in ride quality either. They were heavy as hell though so I swapped them out for some 18s I liked better.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam WS6

So I picked up the rims and they look awesome. I will post pics once they are installed. Will probably need to end up lowering the car a bit at some point but I'll get to that.
    Shopping for adapters now for the rears. A lot of the billet adapters I see for sale on ebay are compatible with 1998 SS camaro, and 2007 corvette (what the rims came off of), but for some reason, they say they are not compatible with a '98 ws6. I am totally confused because I thought the rears of camaros and transams of those years 98-02 are the same. I have an aftermarket 12 bolt on my car, but it was used, stock width and actually off an SS 'maro. (my stock ws6 rims bolt to it fine). I was thinking about picking these up, but want to be sure I'm not missing something. Confused why they would say they fit 1998 camaro SS but not ws6

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    So I picked up the rims and they look awesome. I will post pics once they are installed. Will probably need to end up lowering the car a bit at some point but I'll get to that.
    Shopping for adapters now for the rears. A lot of the billet adapters I see for sale on ebay are compatible with 1998 SS camaro, and 2007 corvette (what the rims came off of), but for some reason, they say they are not compatible with a '98 ws6. I am totally confused because I thought the rears of camaros and transams of those years 98-02 are the same. I have an aftermarket 12 bolt on my car, but it was used, stock width and actually off an SS 'maro. (my stock ws6 rims bolt to it fine). I was thinking about picking these up, but want to be sure I'm not missing something. Confused why they would say they fit 1998 camaro SS but not ws6
    I have some Eibach hubcentric 30mm adapters for sale if interested for f-bodies.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Transam WS6

Ugh...I literally just clicked the 'buy' button on a set that I finally found that say they are compatible with both my 98 ws6 and '07 c6 (car my aftermarket rims came off of). They are billet and should hopefully be here by Friday. Thanks though

Thread Information