White
    2000 z28 6spd

Will lowering 1.2" make wheels, tires rub?

I have a 2000 z28 with 18"x9.5"wheels, 275/35 ZR18 Tires in the front and 18"x10.5"wheels, 295/35 ZR18 tires in the back. it rubs a little in hard cornering but not in normal driving. The backspacing on the wheels is 7.4" front and 7.88" back, i'd like to lower the car about an inch to make the wheel well gaps look even all around. I need to know if lowering springs, or progressive rate lowering springs will make the tires bottom out and cause rubbing in the wheel wells. Would installing spacers or an adjustable panhard bar with poly bushings stop them from rubbing in hard cornering? I'd really like not to have to take a hammer to it if i dont have to.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

If you look at the site that sells the springs it should say what size tires/wheels it fits.

White
    2000 z28 6spd

Well the site is pretty vague, they only say that it'll fit stock applications. They claim that progressive rate lowering springs bottom out just the same as the factory ones. I was just wondering if anyone had them and knew if they did or not.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Get an adjustable panhard bar regardless.
    It will prevent the rearend from moving around, plus if you get an adjustable one, you can center the rear yourself.

I am lowered with the Eibach ProKit and run 17x11 rear wheels with 315/35/17 tires without rubbing. Adjustable panhard bar was a must.

Your 18" wheels with tires should be similiar overall tire height as the 315's on a 17" wheel.

A hammer? Eeeew,,,that just makes me cringe.

White
    2000 z28 6spd

Yeah, the new wheels are two inches bigger but the tires have a lower profile so they are exactly the same overall as the fatory ones. If you can run 11" with 315's with no prob i should be ok then. I'll order a panhard bar this week. I think Summit has the adjustable ones for like 125$, small price to pay to keep from destroying my 1700$ wheels and tires and the car. Thanks.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

yeah... I've ran 17x11 on all 4 corners w/ prokits for quite some time and now on coil-overs... no problems... and that includes racing.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

White
    2000 z28 6spd

Ok, just got around to takin the wheels off to see what exactly is goin on. There is no problem at all with height clearance, just in the back driverside i noticed at right about where the middle of the tire is in the front of the wheel well there is a body seem, the metal is overlaped so it sticks out like a quarter inch and that is where it is rubbing. I'm relieved, i should be able to just bend the metal back a little(its like a skirt there there is nothing holding it in so no hammer need be in volved!) and get a better panhard bar to keep the axle from moving in on hard right turns. Thanks for all the input and hopefully this'll help someone else trying to put 11" tires on.

Thread Information