Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Wide??

This is a discussion on Wide?? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; how WIDE of a tire/wheel can u go with 18's up fnt???? I'm looking 4 new wheels......

  1. #1
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    Wide??

    how WIDE of a tire/wheel can u go with 18's up fnt???? I'm looking 4 new wheels...
    Last edited by 20ws6speed01; 09-21-2010 at 05:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    how WIDE of a tire/wheel can u go with 18's up fnt???? I'm looking 4 new wheels...
    from what I have heard there is more room in the front then in the back. are you looking to go staggered or keep the same widths in the front and back? how wide of tires would you like to have?
    2012 Regal GS

    2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

  3. #3
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    wide as possible with OUT mod's....but would like a nice dish/lip out back...or should I rotate my tires....still thinking

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    wide as possible with OUT mod's....but would like a nice dish/lip out back...or should I rotate my tires....still thinking
    really depends on what wheels you want to buy. often times they have limited sizes and you are forced to buy what they offer. what's the budget?

  5. #5
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    around 2G's

  6. #6
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    around 2G's
    for wheels and tires or just wheels? also are you lowered?

  7. #7
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    the fronts are never the problem..it is always the back ..the back will limit your size up front....if that makes any sense to you

  8. #8
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    People run 315s up front pretty easily, i imagine you could probably go 335s. Not sure why you would want to go that wide seeing as it puts a ton of stress on your steering pump. Then if that goes bad and starts leaking it takes out your alternator as well.
    My personal opinion i dont see the benifit but its your car.
    Last edited by tatertot91; 09-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.

  9. #9
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    People run 315s up front pretty easily, i imagine you could probably go 335s. Not sure why you would want to go that wide seeing as it puts a ton of stress on your steering pump. Then if that goes bad and starts leaking it takes out your alternator as well.
    My personal opinion i dont see the benifit but its your car.
    why would you run a larger tire up front than outback ?

    the 315 wide is popular in autox and hpe ...as the fronts do most all of the braking and turning ....but once again most will upgrade their p.s pump as they tend to fail very quickly in autox and such

  10. #10
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    for wheels and tires or just wheels? also are you lowered?
    4 wheels & tire I hope..lol...planned on Strano 1.25 springs....

  11. #11
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the fronts are never the problem..it is always the back ..the back will limit your size up front....if that makes any sense to you
    OK...what is the limit out back???...but still like 2 have a lip...I'm not a 1/4 mile guy and never ran it... thats y i like wide....

  12. #12
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    18" tires alone that wide are gonna cost you over a grand, let alone rims
    the jump from 17s to 18s is rediculous

  13. #13
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    depending on if you want staggered or not I would go with a 10-10.5 with a 295 on the rear wheels

  14. #14
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    OK...what is the limit out back???...but still like 2 have a lip...I'm not a 1/4 mile guy and never ran it... thats y i like wide....
    You could do like i did and go 335s but its a lot of work. Cutting, hammering, heating, hammering, grinding and a little more hammering.
    I also had to have the quarter panels rolled
    I have about a 2" lip, haven't measured it
    This pic just about gives you the best look at the size of the lip/tires
    I only have 245s up front though

    Click for full size

  15. #15
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    You could do like i did and go 335s but its a lot of work. Cutting, hammering, heating, hammering, grinding and a little more hammering.
    I also had to have the quarter panels rolled
    I have about a 2" lip, haven't measured it
    This pic just about gives you the best look at the size of the lip/tires
    I only have 245s up front though

    Click for full size
    not to be a jerk or anything but he did say
    Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    wide as possible with OUT mod's....but would like a nice dish/lip out back...or should I rotate my tires....still thinking
    we all know that your bad ass setup does not meet those requirements

  16. #16
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    not to be a jerk or anything but he did say we all know that your bad ass setup does not meet those requirements
    Never mind, missed that part
    295s with the right offset and you should have no problems

  17. #17
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Never mind, missed that part
    295s with the right offset and you should have no problems
    yea that is exactly what i was thinking. with a 10"-11" rim right? if he is going to be lowered 1.25" on stranos?

  18. #18
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    yea that is exactly what i was thinking. with a 10"-11" rim right? if he is going to be lowered 1.25" on stranos?
    that makes momre sense

  19. #19
    Member 20ws6speed01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Winston,OR
    Posts
    272

    blue
    2001 WS6

    Thanks 4 the help...so 295/10.5or11 all 4..but i would have to stagger them rite???

  20. #20
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    You mean the offset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Firestone Wide Oval or Firestone Indy 500 Wide Ova
    By kheflw in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
  2. how wide
    By Z28boy2000 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
  3. how wide can i go with 18's
    By 0verkill in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 04:37 AM
  4. How wide can I go?
    By HurricaneLS1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
  5. How wide can I go?
    By RJWZ28 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •