Thumbs down Wheel Locking Lug Nuts...

I recently got two new tires mounted and I have a set of McGuard locking lug nuts.

Well, when it came time to unlock the last wheel, the key broke into the lock. They had to break off the lug to install the tire. Now I have to re-order the very same key cuz my other wheels are locked on. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Also, as this problem occurred, the people breaking off the lock said that theres no point to have these anymore. "More and more cars are coming out from the manufacturer with nice wheels. Nowadays, your car is more suspectable of getting completely stolen versus your wheels." I had to agree.

In the 90s, aftermarket wheels kinda stood out. Earlier before that was even more rare, but not today. Anyway, after I saw how hard it was to get these locks off, it made me wonder what I would have to do, had I got a flat somewhere and nothing but a tire iron to use in order to get my wheels off.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Screw paying for another one.

McGard has lifetime on their stuff don't they???

Who knows. They did last long, but this scared me. Whats funny is the guys who were mounting my tires said "you cant overtighten these lock nuts cuz of this problem." Hmm, good point....but you were the guys that mounted the very same tires youre replacing. In fact, it was the same asshole.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

mcguard design sucks. gorrilla locking lugnuts way better. or, you can get the hex key lugs. or, just do without. they are actually easy to take off. you get a 12 point socket about the same diameter as the locking lugnut (most of the time 13/16"), then hammer it on. take your breaker bar and loosen up. i can have all four locking lugnuts off in 5 minutes doing it that way. all they do is slow them down a little. nowadays they'll take your whole car and strip it.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

Gorrilla locking lungnuts +1

Thread Information