Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

What size are you guys runnin??

This is a discussion on What size are you guys runnin?? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Here are 6 choices currently at Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=17 Kuhmos are the best price, and looking at the tire quality grade ...

Here are 6 choices currently at Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=17

Kuhmos are the best price, and looking at the tire quality grade rating, they have one of the best wear characteristics, as well as best traction with a double A rating. Only thing that comes close is the Goodyears at $310 a piece, or the Continental at $174. So at $164 for Kuhmo's with longer wear (more mileage) they look pretty good. Otherwise your spending $300 or more a piece for tires, nearly double for something that won't last as long.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Here are 6 choices currently at Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...40&diameter=17

Kuhmos are the best price, and looking at the tire quality grade rating, they have one of the best wear characteristics, as well as best traction with a double A rating. Only thing that comes close is the Goodyears at $310 a piece, or the Continental at $174. So at $164 for Kuhmo's with longer wear (more mileage) they look pretty good. Otherwise your spending $300 or more a piece for tires, nearly double for something that won't last as long.
    Ive been looking at those on Tire Rack, the Gyrs and Contis have the same AA traction rating as the Kumhos. Ive been reading the reviews and the are a lot of compliants on treadlife and steering input, especially for car owners similar to our cars. The Contis main beef was turn-in. The survey results seemed to favor the Conti over the Kumho by a narrow margin. Really, there doesnt seem to be a loser between the two, but I think Im going to go with the Contis. Still wish the GSD3s were available still

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Ive been looking at those on Tire Rack, the Gyrs and Contis have the same AA traction rating as the Kumhos. Ive been reading the reviews and the are a lot of compliants on treadlife and steering input, especially for car owners similar to our cars. The Contis main beef was turn-in. The survey results seemed to favor the Conti over the Kumho by a narrow margin. Really, there doesnt seem to be a loser between the two, but I think Im going to go with the Contis. Still wish the GSD3s were available still
    No complaints on the Kuhmos here. Actually it was Orion from the board here that got me started on them. I find they work great. Not sure who could complain about tread life, they have the 2nd best rating on tread life out of the 6 choices, with the Continental rated slightly better. I keep them rotated and see no issues. My last set of cheap BFG Sports had a tread rating of 340 (Kuhmo 320) and I got over 60k miles out of those BFG's So if someone is chewing up the Kuhmo's fast and complaining about tread life, I'd tend to think their car has a problem, or their driving habits suck, lol.

As far as turn in, I can't tell any difference from one tire to the next, they all react the same to me. Considering the sidewall is what???......2"?? I don't see much movement there happening that the average driver could tell anyway. But I think either of those 2 tires you choose, Continental or Kuhmo would serve you just fine with not too much cash outlay.

I just know for my own personal use on a daily driven car, I certainly wouldn't want to spend $300 or even $500 a piece for tires with a really soft tread rating. Buying tires every 20-30k miles starts to get a little spendy for what I see as no real gain on a regular street car. I'd barely get 2 years out of a set of tires at that rate. Yikes!!!!

An example of how outrageous these tire prices are in these sizes....
    I just bought a complete set of Michelins for my duramax. 285's that are 33" tall, their AT versions. I think these tires are either 70,000 miles or 80,000 mile tires (can't remember which) but they wear like rocks, ride smooth, no noise, balanced beautiful, best damn tire I've ever had, plus it's an "E" load range tire. They were only $230 a piece. 33" tire, that's alot of rubber for the money, and considering the amount of mileage I'll get out of them it starts to make those 4th gen rubber band tires look too expensive.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-19-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Since I'm on the subject, I'll give another example that I thought was ridiculous and ultimately led me to sell the car.

I had a C5 Z06 that barely had 20,000 original miles on it, and the original tires already needed replaced. This car runs a really soft Goodyear F1 Supercar tire specifically designed for the Z06. So I felt it was in the cars best interest to stick with what the GM engineers designed for the car. PFFFFF, after spending $1500 on tires that I now realized wouldn't go much further than another 20,000 miles (can't rotate the damn things either) and said "Hell with that" and promptly sold the car. Talk about ridiculous maintanance. I couldn't even enjoy the damn car at that rate and decided it wasn't much good to me just sitting in the garage staring at it. So it went bye bye. I figure if I had to compromise the integrity and heritage of the car by putting cheap tires on it that were never meant or designed to be on there, then I don't have any business owning the car. So the new owner got a beautiful low mile Z06 with brand new F1 Supercar tires on it. He'll cringe when he sees what those cost in another 20k miles

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, FBJ. I was referring to the cost of the tires for your Duramax.

I'm still learning on ours, but it is a damn good piece of equipment to have in the garage.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

No complaints on the Kuhmos here. Actually it was Orion from the board here that got me started on them. I find they work great. Not sure who could complain about tread life, they have the 2nd best rating on tread life out of the 6 choices, with the Continental rated slightly better. I keep them rotated and see no issues. My last set of cheap BFG Sports had a tread rating of 340 (Kuhmo 320) and I got over 60k miles out of those BFG's So if someone is chewing up the Kuhmo's fast and complaining about tread life, I'd tend to think their car has a problem, or their driving habits suck, lol.
    For what its worth, those numbers are not standardized. Each manufacturer rates their tires' tread life relative to the other tires that they themselves manufacture. There's no real way to know how Khumo's 340 compares with Goodyear's 340. I rather look for a tread life warranty. Some mfrs offer one.
    Last edited by Naaman; 03-19-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Exactly. The wear rating is not at all a uniform number across brands.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

As far as turn in, I can't tell any difference from one tire to the next, they all react the same to me. Considering the sidewall is what???......2"?? I don't see much movement there happening that the average driver could tell anyway. But I think either of those 2 tires you choose, Continental or Kuhmo would serve you just fine with not too much cash outlay.

I just know for my own personal use on a daily driven car, I certainly wouldn't want to spend $300 or even $500 a piece for tires with a really soft tread rating. Buying tires every 20-30k miles starts to get a little spendy for what I see as no real gain on a regular street car. I'd barely get 2 years out of a set of tires at that rate. Yikes!!!!

I just bought a complete set of Michelins for my duramax. 285's that are 33" tall, their AT versions. I think these tires are either 70,000 miles or 80,000 mile tires (can't remember which) but they wear like rocks, ride smooth, no noise, balanced beautiful, best damn tire I've ever had, plus it's an "E" load range tire. They were only $230 a piece. 33" tire, that's alot of rubber for the money, and considering the amount of mileage I'll get out of them it starts to make those 4th gen rubber band tires look too expensive.
    I ended up ordering the Continentals. I am getting those installed Friday on my Z06 wheels, along with a set of UMI RLCAs and a panhard rod. Ill try to put up some pix for the OP to see how 285s look.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post

I ended up ordering the Continentals. I am getting those installed Friday on my Z06 wheels, along with a set of UMI RLCAs and a panhard rod. Ill try to put up some pix for the OP to see how 285s look.
    Buddy of mine has those on a GT500 and loves them. Good choice.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Nitto 555 -275/40/17 on all four.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information