Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

What size are you guys runnin??

This is a discussion on What size are you guys runnin?? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; For daily drivers I prefer the same size on all 4 so I can rotate the tires and get more ...

For daily drivers I prefer the same size on all 4 so I can rotate the tires and get more life out of them.

If it were a fun weekend only car, I prefer the stagger look with pizza cutters on the front. If you want to see a difference, make it a big one

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One of the cruise ins we attend on Thursdays moved from around 12 miles away to the bank parking lot across from my office. I can see the Trans Am coming downtown in its race attire this summer.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I am about two weeks out from mounting my new summer tires and wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1-GSD3's (285/40/17) on four 17x9.5 factory C5 Z06 wheels.

I wanted to run 295's, but it wouldve required wider wheels, which I couldnt find too many good looking, lightweight wheels in a 17 inch, and the 18 inchers were about $400+ a tire for what I wanted (figured the extra cost would be better spent on controll arms instead).
    Update:

I went to order the GSD3's yesterday and found out that the 285/40/17's are on backorder without an eta. From whats been told to me is that Goodyear is phasing out the GSD3's ( no mention of a replacement line). There are plenty of 275/40/17's from what was said. So now I am trying to decide to go with 275/40/17's in GSD3 (I loved D3's on my 89 TA) or another tire brand. They guy at Tire Rack mentioned Continental Extremecontact DW's but I dont know anyone who has had a real opinion on these.

Update:

I went to order the GSD3's yesterday and found out that the 285/40/17's are on backorder without an eta. From whats been told to me is that Goodyear is phasing out the GSD3's ( no mention of a replacement line). There are plenty of 275/40/17's from what was said. So now I am trying to decide to go with 275/40/17's in GSD3 (I loved D3's on my 89 TA) or another tire brand. They guy at Tire Rack mentioned Continental Extremecontact DW's but I dont know anyone who has had a real opinion on these.
    Plenty of 275's because the 285's are an oddball size that really isn't an OEM manufacture size commonly used. Because of that, 285's have always been available only in a limited few manufactures. I bought the Kuhmos. Before that I had a set of Firestone 285's but since then even Firestone has discontinued the 285 size. I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple more years that size just simply becomes obsolete all together.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Plenty of 275's because the 285's are an oddball size that really isn't an OEM manufacture size commonly used. Because of that, 285's have always been available only in a limited few manufactures. I bought the Kuhmos. Before that I had a set of Firestone 285's but since then even Firestone has discontinued the 285 size. I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple more years that size just simply becomes obsolete all together.
    Sad, but true. I should have went with 4 18x10.5 factory Z06 wheels, but I got the 17x9.5's for a good price. Figured I get a few years of sticky 17" rubber before 22"s are on compacts . . It's a tough call, I really want some super sticky tires and low(er) unsprung weight. Kinda hard switching to another brand that I dont know. You know, that old chestnut.

Sad, but true. I should have went with 4 18x10.5 factory Z06 wheels, but I got the 17x9.5's for a good price. Figured I get a few years of sticky 17" rubber before 22"s are on compacts . . It's a tough call, I really want some super sticky tires and low(er) unsprung weight. Kinda hard switching to another brand that I dont know. You know, that old chestnut.
    I don't know if you're looking for all 4 sticky tires or not, but I'm always thinking sticky tires for the back With that said, if it were me and looking for sticky tires for the 17" wheels I'd go for the MT drag radials. The nice thing about the MT's now is that they are actually making taller diameter tires for the 17" wheels so you aren't stuck with the rubber band sidewalls (bad for drag racing) They have been making 28" tall stickies for 17" wheels for a few years now, along with some other height options as well.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Update:

I had GSD3s on my car when I bought it. Switched to Michelins and they blew the Goodyears completely out of the water.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't know if you're looking for all 4 sticky tires or not, but I'm always thinking sticky tires for the back With that said, if it were me and looking for sticky tires for the 17" wheels I'd go for the MT drag radials. The nice thing about the MT's now is that they are actually making taller diameter tires for the 17" wheels so you aren't stuck with the rubber band sidewalls (bad for drag racing) They have been making 28" tall stickies for 17" wheels for a few years now, along with some other height options as well.
    I am sorry, I meant grippy tires. I am shopping for my spring/summer/fall set that will do daily driver/ spirited driving duties.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I had GSD3s on my car when I bought it. Switched to Michelins and they blew the Goodyears completely out of the water.
    Which Michelins are you talking about?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Honestly, they were the Pilot Sports A/S Plus. These are not available anymore: now its the A/S 3 (an all season tire). The Michelin equivalent to the GSD3s is actually the Pilot Super Sport (summer tire), which is all the rage right now. The Michelin all season tire actually out performs other brands' summer tires right now.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Honestly, they were the Pilot Sports A/S Plus. These are not available anymore: now its the A/S 3 (an all season tire). The Michelin equivalent to the GSD3s is actually the Pilot Super Sport (summer tire), which is all the rage right now. The Michelin all season tire actually out performs other brands' summer tires right now.
    Yeah, I think the tire shop quoted me about $550.00 each for the Pilot Super Sports. I will take a look at the AS3's though.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

$550? What size? The 275s should be less than $250 apiece. I've priced out a staggered set up on various sites and the PSS come out to less than $900 for a set of 4 (and the come with an additional $70 mail in rebate, bringing the total down to around $800-825, depending where you get 'em).

The main reason I would choose the A/S 3 over the super sports is the fuel economy.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No way I would spend much over $175/tire for anything on our car.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

In my case, the difference was so dramatic when I switched brands that it's worth it to me.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

In my case, the difference was so dramatic when I switched brands that it's worth it to me.
    I agree 100%. The difference can be pretty huge when it comes to handling and grip.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No way I would spend much over $175/tire for anything on our car.
    There are instances where I certainly feel that way Jeff. On most of my cars, the tires themselves go beyond their useful date codes long before I even wear the tread out, so in a sense, I'm wasting money buying more expensive tires for those cars.

On the daily drivers though, I don't mind spending a little extra for the piece of mind. I've had cheap tires blow out like a bomb on me at 70 mph and that's no fun at all (not to mention $3,000 worth of damage to the truck). I now run Michelins on my duramax, at $240 a piece and I have to say they made a huge improvement in how that truck drives. You can tell a nice tire when it's on the spin balancer and it only takes an ounce or less to balance the tire. On a big tire like these 285's on 16's (33" tire) that's saying alot.
    I've had cheap little 26" tires on the balancer that need 4 ounces or more. Some of these brand tires just balance like crap. You don't get alot for your money nowadays it seems.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Understood and agree. Thank goodness I do not have a Duramax in the fleet.

I am still getting accustomed to my Coats balancer. Seems like I have to chase it with aluminum wheels. It has 5 settings for weight placement on aluminum wheels. No matter how careful I am, it always seems to want more weight and takes two or three tries to get a wheel balanced. Is this normal in your experience? With the pound on weights for steel rims, or static balancing, it is one and done in almost every instance.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Understood and agree. Thank goodness I do not have a Duramax in the fleet.

I am still getting accustomed to my Coats balancer. Seems like I have to chase it with aluminum wheels. It has 5 settings for weight placement on aluminum wheels. No matter how careful I am, it always seems to want more weight and takes two or three tries to get a wheel balanced. Is this normal in your experience? With the pound on weights for steel rims, or static balancing, it is one and done in almost every instance.
    The cost of damage wasn't affected by the fact it's a duramax (if that's what you mean??) That was simply the cost of body damage, front bumper, inner liner, fender flare, the side steps etc.... When a tire comes a apart it inflicts massive damage with a whipping affect if you can imagine. If you watch Nascar you'll know exactly what I mean, accept I was only going 70 MPH, lol. It still tore up alot of crap. Even tore up the upper control arm bushings and required a new control arm. Just imagine the damage it would do on a 4th gen with plastic everywhere. It would likely blow the whole side of the car apart and get into the door. With book values on these things now, I wouldn't be surprised if it were totaled by the insurance company. It pays to have good quality tires but that's just my opinion

Yeah I experience that with my wheel balancer. It has 4 or 5 different options for wheel weight placement when doing aluminum wheels. You can place them in close to the center, the middle, the outer edge, static or dynamic balance etc... Sometimes caliper clearance is so close that it also limits your wheel weight placement options (I've had calipers just knock the weights right off)
    So it gets pretty picky if you're off on the centerline of placement even just a 1/2", then it will nickle and dime you to death with 1/4 ounces Anymore I get out the tape measure and check distance from the hub to be more precise.
    The steel rims are much easier to balance, the knock on weights go on the lip and there is no question as to it's alignment that the machine is looking for.

I do find however that tires like Michelins, and Goodyears, they tend to balance with less weight. BFG's are hit and miss, sometimes not so much, and sometimes more than I think should be normal. I recently had to buy some Uniroyals for my 89 5.0, with a stock size of 225-60/15's, Michelin doesn't make them anymore. Matter of fact I was limited to about only 4 or 5 manufactures for that size tire. So I grabbed Uniroyals. Been years since I've run that tire. They took more weight than I prefer to balance properly, but they balanced okay. Again, an OEM aluminum wheel that was picky about weight placement. But my biggest complaint is that these tires are noisy on the highway, sounds like mild 4x4 tires, lol. But hey....$70 a piece

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

$550? What size? The 275s should be less than $250 apiece. I've priced out a staggered set up on various sites and the PSS come out to less than $900 for a set of 4 (and the come with an additional $70 mail in rebate, bringing the total down to around $800-825, depending where you get 'em).

The main reason I would choose the A/S 3 over the super sports is the fuel economy.
    They were 285/40/17

They were 285/40/17
    Yeah, you're going to run into higher prices for the 285-40/17's because there is only a handful of manufactures making that tire, and the demand isn't there. I found the Kuhmo's to be the most reasonably priced tire in that size as of ~6 months ago, at that time I only found about 3 manufactures in that size.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information