Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What are the best street tires???

This is a discussion on What are the best street tires??? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; So as promised, here are my thoughts after my roadtrip last week. From st. louis to ohio 400 miles each ...

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

So as promised, here are my thoughts after my roadtrip last week. From st. louis to ohio 400 miles each way. On Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 960 A/S (245/50/16). Before the trip the tires had about 4000 miles on them.

Wednesday night last week was mostly in the rain. Tires felt very good on the wet highways. Around town on dry pavement they are great...easy to break loose, but still great traction. The return trip was all dry and managed to get up to 100-110 MPH for about 15 minutes. No problems.

only downside is the cost of these tires. ended up paying about 175 apiece for the tires, mount, balance, and all that included shit. But in my opinion, the cost is worth keeping my baby out of the median and away from a utility pole...the way i drive her.
    '99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    only downside is the cost of these tires. ended up paying about 175 apiece for the tires, mount, balance, and all that included shit. But in my opinion, the cost is worth keeping my baby out of the median and away from a utility pole...the way i drive her.
    Yeah. No need to cheap out on tires if you plan on driving how it was made to be driven. I was going to go with Nitto 555's but I read so many people talking about how they suck in the rain, so I went with the popular BFG KDW's for $145 a piece (I get a discount), over the Nitto's 110$. The extra money is worth it in my opinion, if it's just an overall better tire. Although I wish the sidewall looked sportier on the KDW's.

I havn't put the tires on yet, they should be here monday.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

The fuzions i had on my trans am worked very well, especially compared the Sumitomos i had before it. The corned really well, looked good, and where extremely quite. Paid 150 a tire.

pewter
    02' Z28

I like the feel of NITTO INVO's.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...09&rd=17&ar=40

i have these falken Azenis RT-615 and LOVE them....you try them yet eugino? as far as balanced performance in every aspect i think there the best u can get for the money..had pilot sports before these and like these MUCH better.....if u drive your car in the rain i really wouldnt recommend them though..i had some light hydroplaining at 65mph in heavy rain and the tires are brand new!!!! car feels like its on rails thru the twistys though....ive read there very comparable to KD's for 80 less per tire

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Car and Driver (I think?) last year did a test on 11 tires, wet and dry traction, ultra high performance, the Goodyear F1 GS D3 was best out of the bunch. That's why I chose them, and am not dissapointed. I am relatively hard on tires, and at 20k, they are almost worn out.
    I don't remember if the Michelins were there, but my guess is they were in the test.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

pilots are HEAVILY overpriced for the performance u get......there fantastic tires just not for nearly 300 each

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

im still pretty happy with my bridgestone 960's, i heard they were discontinued though.
    my next tires will be wider, and have better traction though for hooking. maybe ill just get some DR's for when i race, and keep these for DD

xbl-Spectre666

SOM
    02 T/A WS.6 M6

another vote for the GS-D3

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well, my GS D3s are almost worn out at 26k lol. I am going to try the new F1 all season from Goodyear.

blue
    99 Z28 Camaro LS1

If you can still find them the Toyo T1s tires were the best! I had 2 sets of them on my '99 Z28, the balder they got the stickier they got. I now run the Proxes 4, not near as sticky! Also, the T1S's handled better. I ran 275/40/17 all the way around.

Depends on use... One BIG caveat though, I don't hear anyone talking about cold weather considerations. Almost ALL Z speed rated tires suck in the cold, and with some 'cold' can mean average temps below 50 degrees. if you live where it's cold a lot, a compromise tire may be better, or two sets, one dedicated to dry traction and another to wet/cold/snow handling.

On dry, hot pavement, and primarily for straight line: My choice would be MT ET Street Radials. On snow, something else entirely!

blue
    99 Z28 Camaro LS1

You can't have your cake and eat it too! It's either good traction (hooking up to the pavement) or avoid being in a ditch in the winter. Me personally do not want to wear my good traction tires in the winter, may reason being is that they are mounted to chrome wheels. And we all know what happens to chrome in bad winter weather conditions. So I put my stock wheels back on with the Toyo Observe snow tire at stock size. They truley handle well in the snow.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

When it's cold out I run Good Year Ultra Grip GW3 225/55/16's. They are great tires for the cold. Surprisingly great grip in the dry. They do get a bit squirley above 60ish though.

blue
    99 Z28 Camaro LS1

they get loose like that because of the soft rubber componds in the tire. soft rubbers like that do well in the winter. the observes are also soft but they have crushed walnuts added to the compond which gives it more stability and longivity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information