2002 trans am ws6

What am I doing wrong?

Okay here is the thing I have 315's on the back of the car. I always put 35psi and for some reason the tire tends to wear right on the middle. Every so often they loose some pressure. But I was told that when the tires are run on low pressure they wear on the sides not on the center. Thanks in advance.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Drop your pressure to 30psi.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

what size rim are they mounted on?

2002 trans am ws6

I have the torque thrust m's 10.5.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yup Most of the time when your tires wear prematurely in the middle is caused by over inflation and on the edges under inflation but there may be other reasons why- such as alignment issues or tracking and even as stated above rim issues BUT.... from my experience its over inflation!.....Wider tires such as on our cars tend to wear like that if over inflated because of the large contact patch imo..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My Falkens (came with the car) have worn on the centers ever since we acquired the car... no matter how low I drop the air pressure. I think I have run them as low as 26 psi in the rear.

2002 trans am ws6

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to drop the pressure a little bit and then see what happens. I used to have the 11 inch corvette wheels and it would do the same. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be the wheels.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

2002 trans am ws6

Will do thanks.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you are up for a science experiment and have some time on a relatively warm day try adjusting your tire pressure to achieve an even tread temperature across the surface. Racers use this method to get their tires to wear and stick as good as possible. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about stay with me for a minute.

If your tires are over inflated the center of the tread will show a higher temperature after being run for a few miles. If they are under inflated the edges will be hotter. The temperature of the tread will tell you a lot about what the correct pressure should be. Even though the manufacturer provides a pressure recommendation it is at best a compromise that only applies to the original tire and wheel combination. Once you start changing things, every combination of vehicle, tires, and wheels is different and needs to have the correct pressure determined.

You'll need an infared thermometer, and an accurate tire pressure gauge (not one of the little stick things or .99 cent Auto zone ones), pencil and paper. It will also help if you have a friend to assist to write down the temperature readings as you call them out. Inflate your tires to what you think is the correct pressure. On a moderate temperature day (55-75 degrees F) Go for a drive (don't spin the tires, or drive overly aggressively) for about 10 miles (45-66 miles per hour) to get the tires completely up to temperature. Stop the car and quickly get out and take the temperature of the each of the tires in three spots (outside edge about 1/2 inch from the outside, center, and inside edge). Write down the results for each tire. You need to do this pretty quick as the tires will cool fast. You want as little variation as possible across the tread. If it is hotter in the center, reduce the pressure a couple of pounds and try again. If it is hotter on the edges increase the pressure a bit and try again. If one edge is hotter than the other you might have an alignment issue to look at that is causing that tire to drag slightly. Understand up front that this will get you close but you will probably never be perfect. Don't waste your time chasing a couple of degrees. Regardless this experiment will tell you a lot about how much pressure your tires want.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

We've recorded stats like that running down in at homestead using the same method but we used a pyrometer. Handy little tool if you're dead set on monitoring your tires. Not exactly something you need for the street but a helpful tool nonetheless.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On almost every car we have ever owned, running the "recommended tire pressure" results in excessive wear at the center of the tire. I generally run 2-3 p.s.i. less than what the spec calls for.

Thread Information