Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

vette brakes on f-body

how hard is it to install 03 Z06 front brakes on a f-body.

any write ups?

I've read there is some cutting involved and differnt brakets required relocating the position of the calipor and longer brake lines.

any helpfull infor is appresheated

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    how hard is it to install 03 Z06 front brakes on a f-body.

any write ups?

I've read there is some cutting involved and differnt brakets required relocating the position of the calipor and longer brake lines.

any helpfull infor is appresheated
    Not difficult at all. there are two ways of doing it. the first way is to use a caliper mounting bracket that slightly changes the location of the caliper. these brackets can be found online (even ebay). they allow you to not have to cut the stock mounting tabs on your spindle by "relocating" the caliper. then you use the stock LS1 caliper abutment bracket with the C5 calipers. This option allows you to switch back to your stock setup some day if you like.

Your other option is to buy another type of bracket that also mounts on the back side of your spindle in the hub area but requires you to cut the tabs off of the spindle. this gets the caliper in more of a stock location but does require you to cut the tabs.

I'm currently buried in a C6 Z06 six piston brake swap on my car and requires a bit of work. There is no bracket that won't make you cut your tabs. so I went to a junkyard and found some LT1 spindles and am currently modifying them to work with the brackets. I wanted to keep my stock LS1 spindles just in case I want to change back someday.

Give Joe at engineeringvelocity.com a shout. email him. He's great and will answer any question you may have. He doesn't supply the bracket that doesn't require cutting but you could use his bracket and do what i'm doing by changing out the spindles too. I picked both drivers and passenger sides up for 40 dollars and a junk yard.

Oh, and you'll only need longer lines if you're an LT1 car.

good luck

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I did this myself last year, one tip, buy an entire kit with EVERYTHING. You can save money if you buy the brackets one place, rotors another, calipers somewhere else. But it is not worth the hassle.

Oh, and whoever designed this car over-engineered the shit out of it. I had the tab cut down to like 1/16 left holding, hit it with a huge hammer and it didn't even budge. If you don't have an air cut off wheel, GET ONE. It would be pretty much impossible to do it with a hack saw.

Just remember, with these on there, you can never run 16 inch wheels, and some 17 inch ones do not clear either like TT II's. Stock ws6 wheels clear though. Oh, and you have to assemble the calipers when you get them so make sure you take your time and do it right, there is a lot riding on your breaks, so play it safe.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

brakes

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    Not difficult at all. there are two ways of doing it. the first way is to use a caliper mounting bracket that slightly changes the location of the caliper. these brackets can be found online (even ebay). they allow you to not have to cut the stock mounting tabs on your spindle by "relocating" the caliper. then you use the stock LS1 caliper abutment bracket with the C5 calipers. This option allows you to switch back to your stock setup some day if you like.

Your other option is to buy another type of bracket that also mounts on the back side of your spindle in the hub area but requires you to cut the tabs off of the spindle. this gets the caliper in more of a stock location but does require you to cut the tabs.

I'm currently buried in a C6 Z06 six piston brake swap on my car and requires a bit of work. There is no bracket that won't make you cut your tabs. so I went to a junkyard and found some LT1 spindles and am currently modifying them to work with the brackets. I wanted to keep my stock LS1 spindles just in case I want to change back someday.

Give Joe at engineeringvelocity.com a shout. email him. He's great and will answer any question you may have. He doesn't supply the bracket that doesn't require cutting but you could use his bracket and do what i'm doing by changing out the spindles too. I picked both drivers and passenger sides up for 40 dollars and a junk yard.

Oh, and you'll only need longer lines if you're an LT1 car.

good luck
    I'm liking this mod for more braking power plus after my rim swap to 18" the stock rotors look retartedly small since the rims are so open.

option one sounds good, ? only the 03 Z06 calipors and rotors can be used for this swap correct?

? this mod has no effect on the ABS sys. because the ABS sensor is built into the hub correct?

Thanks

Thread Information