Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Trying to choose tires!

This is a discussion on Trying to choose tires! within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Trying to choose a set of tires for my sons 94 Z. He starts school in St.Louis this month and ...

  1. #1
    Member 1st TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Il.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

    Trying to choose tires!

    Trying to choose a set of tires for my sons 94 Z. He starts school in St.Louis this month and needs tires before making that daily drive. Would like to do something in the all season type as he will be driving it as much as possible through the winter months. Any help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hurley711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,362

    414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

    tirerack.com


    BFG KDWS my pick

  3. #3
    Member 1st TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Il.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

    Trying to choose a tire!

    Looked at Tire Rack. BF Goodrich KDWS and Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are basically the same price. Has anyone ran the Firehawks?

  4. #4
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,746

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post


    BFG KDWS my pick


  5. #5
    Member flat-top's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    280

    impulse blue
    06 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    tirerack.com


    BFG KDWS my pick
    me too

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383


  7. #7
    Bad habbit- Smoking Fords
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    198

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    My choice too. If you want a very reasonably priced 4 season tire go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...AS&RunFlat=All to check all the all season tires.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2

    Black
    1998 SS Camaro

    Daily driver in Ohio on BFG KDWS. Like them alot.

  9. #9
    Junior Member 95TAGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Russell, Ky.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58

    Red
    1995 Trans am

    Nexen N3000 ZR Ultra High performance. Really good over seas but now starting to hit the US.

  10. #10
    Member 01camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Illinois,
    Posts
    318

    white
    2001 camaross

    BFG KDWS also
    and i live in IL across from stl. too

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    22

    Black & Red
    85 Iroc-Z and 00 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 95TAGary View Post
    Nexen N3000 ZR Ultra High performance. Really good over seas but now starting to hit the US.
    They are a really good tire! Too bad they don't make very many sizes in the "FAT" area. I sell them quite a bit in the store I work at. Very nice tread pattern and put them on a co-worker Celica and he loves them!
    My choice would be the GoodYear F1 GS-D3's or the T1R's from Toyo if you have cash to spend. I am not a fan of the Goodyear...well anything, but that tire rocks! The BFG's alright, not my cup of tea. I got Yoko ES100, I do like them but they are losing their bite a bit.
    2000 Trans Am-LS1 what else do you need to know?
    1985 Iroc-Z 305+TPI+Comp Cams+TCI+HOOKER=FUN!

  12. #12
    Junior Member 95TAGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Russell, Ky.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58

    Red
    1995 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by IrocTransAm View Post
    They are a really good tire! Too bad they don't make very many sizes in the "FAT" area. I sell them quite a bit in the store I work at. Very nice tread pattern and put them on a co-worker Celica and he loves them!
    My choice would be the GoodYear F1 GS-D3's or the T1R's from Toyo if you have cash to spend. I am not a fan of the Goodyear...well anything, but that tire rocks! The BFG's alright, not my cup of tea. I got Yoko ES100, I do like them but they are losing their bite a bit.

    I bought 265/35/18 do you think they'll look alright on a 1995 TA with Chrome 18" wheels? Don't know myself?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    275/35s would be the right size but there def close enough.....wheel well gap might be a bit much if the car isnt lowered....car looks are like women looks though...everyone dosnt like the same thing ...im sure itll look great

  14. #14
    Junior Member 95TAGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Russell, Ky.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58

    Red
    1995 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    275/35s would be the right size but there def close enough.....wheel well gap might be a bit much if the car isnt lowered....car looks are like women looks though...everyone dosnt like the same thing ...im sure itll look great
    Thanks well I'll ask the installer tire guys tomorrow if they would? I plan on lowering though but not sure I can get it done before I go to TA Nationals next weekend. The tire height looks the same when I put it up to the 245's on there now? Is it suppose to be?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    yes tire size should be a TINY bit smaller...your 245/50/16's is the same hight as 275/40/17s ( stock size on an ss/ws6) and the same as 275/35/18's ..check out this link...then look over at overall tire diam on the right hand side ..notice 265/35/18s overall diam is 25.3 and 275/40/17's is 25.7 so your tires are .4 inches smaller than stock...very close and u may not even notice cuz that'll show as .2 inches MORE wheel well gap....not a lot...understand now? first number 265 is in mm's second number is the hight of the sidewall in a percentage ......the side wall is 35 percent of the width ( 265) of the tire and of course the 18 is the wheel size in inches


    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...D635YR8GFTAKDL

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    38

    WHITE
    2000 CAMARO

    On the wings of GOODYEAR

    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

  17. #17
    Junior Member 95TAGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Russell, Ky.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58

    Red
    1995 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    yes tire size should be a TINY bit smaller...your 245/50/16's is the same hight as 275/40/17s ( stock size on an ss/ws6) and the same as 275/35/18's ..check out this link...then look over at overall tire diam on the right hand side ..notice 265/35/18s overall diam is 25.3 and 275/40/17's is 25.7 so your tires are .4 inches smaller than stock...very close and u may not even notice cuz that'll show as .2 inches MORE wheel well gap....not a lot...understand now? first number 265 is in mm's second number is the hight of the sidewall in a percentage ......the side wall is 35 percent of the width ( 265) of the tire and of course the 18 is the wheel size in inches


    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...D635YR8GFTAKDL
    Thanks, Makes since now. I'll install them in the morning so they should look o'k? I'll send you a pic. thanks for the info. and I plan to drop the car next.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    im sure theyll look great...PICS PICS!!

  19. #19
    Junior Member 95TAGary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Russell, Ky.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    58

    Red
    1995 Trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    im sure theyll look great...PICS PICS!!
    Well they're on. Looks pretty good but you can tell the change from stock to 18". Like driving a truck now, hee. Looks pretty good but it'll have to be dropped 1.5" I guess. We'll do that within in a month. Sharp wheels and I glad I bought them. Nexen N3000 tires with that tread look great. I'll get some pictures up.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    22

    Black & Red
    85 Iroc-Z and 00 Trans Am

    Glad you got those Nexens. A pretty damn good tire for the price. The tread is pretty neat and pretty functional. Good choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what cam to choose
    By kenro23 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 02:37 PM
  2. Getting a cam, 2 to choose from. Which one?
    By Y2K_CAMARO in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 06:33 AM
  3. Help Me Choose Tires for my DD
    By GULLETT17 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
  4. Which would you choose?
    By Z28LS1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •