Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tires, what should I get?

This is a discussion on Tires, what should I get? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by JBZ28 The general tire AltiMAX HP's look like a better option than the bfg's i was considering ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JBZ28 View Post
    The general tire AltiMAX HP's look like a better option than the bfg's i was considering
    had generals on one of my cars and was not impressed. don't go cheap on tires you will regret it.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

I agree, I hate to go cheap on tires. It's the only thing that connects the car to the road.
    There are probably some decent inexpensive tires out there. But I've used BFG's for so many years without issues I don't see a reason to change or take a chance on something else.

I use everything from there All Terrain T/A's on 4x4's, to their radial T/A's on classic muscle cars, and Comp T/A's of various versions on our 4th gens.
    I've been happy with all of them.

silver
    2000 formula

i got hancooks at pimp boys.....they had a buy 3 get 1 free.....and i have a 10% discount.....and the rewards program got me a new radiator

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    nittos are amazing...there only down fall is when they get cold..you might as well kiss traction good bye when your car kisses the curb.

michelin makes good all season tires i think? expensive though...sorry not to experienced with all season tires
    Yep I've got Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S on the Cobra. I bought them because they got great reviews, and they were the only sport tire that came with a mileage guarantee, in this case 45,000 miles. All the other z-rated tires had no mileage guarantee, and from what I read they tended to last in the 30,000 miles range. So these tires seemed pretty strong in that regard. They give a very smooth ride and handle very well in the rain. With the previous tires on the same car, I tended to get that 'beginning' feeling of hydroplaning when I'd hit standing water at highway speeds. But with these I never feel that...

I think they're in the same general price range as the Eagle F1s though, I looked at those too. I can't remember exactly, but I think I paid about $700 total for the tires, mounting, fees, insurance, and all that... But after 2 years I think they're worth it. I'll probably put them on the TA too when the time comes.

Last edited by Schmalgar; 09-30-2010 at 01:23 AM.

blue
    2001 WS6

BFG's g-force sport...love them..very good wet or dry....

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

COOPER ZEON SPORT A/S
    are what I've kind of decided on
    Last edited by JBZ28; 10-20-2010 at 05:46 AM.

COOPER ZEON SPORT A/S
    are what I've decided on
    That's what was on my wifes SS when we bought it. Didn't care for those much. Pretty squirly in the rain after only minimal wear (maybe 15,000 miles), and the sidewalls seemed to suck in from the wheels as if they were too small, even though they were stock size. Just made different from other tires.
    Maybe you'll have better luck than I did though.

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's what was on my wifes SS when we bought it. Didn't care for those much. Pretty squirly in the rain after only minimal wear (maybe 15,000 miles), and the sidewalls seemed to suck in from the wheels as if they were too small, even though they were stock size. Just made different from other tires.
    Maybe you'll have better luck than I did though.
    the guy at Mavis said that he had them on his mustang (i know not to trust the salesman but he seemed really honest) and liked he them. Also they got good reviews on the Mavis website. I don't really have very many choices and my inspection is up (the fusion zri's that my car came with are bald and i need all season tires) these seemed like my best option but i'll take that into consideration.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

what is your budget?

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    what is your budget?
    under 600 for everthing and i think i'm going to get the falken ziex ze-502's and save for somthing better for the summer

Ray Charles blue

Dude you are in NY, you may want to get some BLIZZAKs......lol

Seriously, snow in one of these cars is nothing to go cheap on. Seriously, for the winter months get something that will actually grip. Problem is even "all season" tires for our cars suck in actuality. I have had KDWS, General, Nitto's, and Bridgestone RE-01r's and best handling was the Bridgestones and the grip was JUST below the 555s but NONE of them were good in any type of snow or rain. The KDWS were sh!t and had the junkiest side walls of the bunch. Again though, none of them were good in any amount of snow.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yeah good point about the snow. For me, 'all season' only means sun and rain, so I have no practical snow experience on my tires...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i didn't even think that you would be driving the car in the snow. that's a whole different beast in itself especially in new york. i drove my V6 camaro one winter and it was awful. that was with snow tires and 150 pounds of additional weight in the rear.

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

well hopefully i'll only have to really drive in the snow a couple times a year i'll probably sand bag it if i have to

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Blizzaks definitely if you know you will drive in the snow.. I ran 255/40/17 Blizzaks on my Full Bolt-on Z28 last year and the car drove amazing. I put 3 cinder blocks in the back where the t-tops go and that was enough.. I could pass cars having issues and just laugh at them... I run 275/40/17 BFG KDW 2's for the summer, and those Blizzaks for winter

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    Blizzaks definitely if you know you will drive in the snow.. I ran 255/40/17 Blizzaks on my Full Bolt-on Z28 last year and the car drove amazing. I put 3 cinder blocks in the back where the t-tops go and that was enough.. I could pass cars having issues and just laugh at them... I run 275/40/17 BFG KDW 2's for the summer, and those Blizzaks for winter
    +1 on blizzaks. i had them on my altima last winter and the car handled like it had AWD. I will be putting them on my CTS-V here soon. should be interesting.

silver
    1999 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    do they come in 245/50/16's

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

check tirerack.com. that will have everything you need to know

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

No they don't.. You'll have to go a size down, I think its a 225/55/16 ..IIRC

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information