Thread: Tires

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Tires

I have a multifaceted question. I have a z28 and run 245 tires. I was wondering what is the largest sized tire I can use on the "snowflake" tire.

Also, I have seen many people have 305's in the back and 275's in the front of their camaro. How the hell does someone rotate these tires. the 305's wont fit upfront!? How does one get around having one set of rear tires and another set of front tires without rotation?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

For those wheels (which are 16x8) I believe the largest tire you can go with are 255/50/16. As far as rotation if the front and rear are different sizes, you just swap the fronts with each other and the rears with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    I have a multifaceted question. I have a z28 and run 245 tires. I was wondering what is the largest sized tire I can use on the "snowflake" tire.

Also, I have seen many people have 305's in the back and 275's in the front of their camaro. How the hell does someone rotate these tires. the 305's wont fit upfront!? How does one get around having one set of rear tires and another set of front tires without rotation?

As far as rotating mismatched tires,,I just don't do it. Rotating side to side doesn't accomplish anything if you have cupped front tires.
    Not to mention, you can't rotate directional tires that way to begin with. Then you'll have them spinning in the wrong direction.

I've been running skinnies (pizza cutters) on the fronts of cars for decades, and you just have to throw rotating the tires out the window. When the tires wear out, you just buy new ones.

If that's a real problem for you,,,then you'll need to keep all four tires the same size. Which is what I do for my daily drivers.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    As far as rotating mismatched tires,,I just don't do it. Rotating side to side doesn't accomplish anything if you have cupped front tires.
    Not to mention, you can't rotate directional tires that way to begin with. Then you'll have them spinning in the wrong direction.

I've been running skinnies (pizza cutters) on the fronts of cars for decades, and you just have to throw rotating the tires out the window. When the tires wear out, you just buy new ones.

If that's a real problem for you,,,then you'll need to keep all four tires the same size. Which is what I do for my daily drivers.

Yes thank you. Now my car is a daily driver as of right now. It has 2 winter tires and 4 all season tires in its itinerary. I was wondering if I could change 2 of the all seasons that are 245's to 275's (or 255's) and then keep the 245's up front. Then in the winter take the 275's (or 255's) off and then put the winter tires on and never rotate the fronts.

Does that sound like a good plan or will it be met with failure?

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    For those wheels (which are 16x8) I believe the largest tire you can go with are 255/50/16. As far as rotation if the front and rear are different sizes, you just swap the fronts with each other and the rears with each other.
    I will post my tires specifications in an hour or so. Then hopefully you guys can help me with tire selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post

Yes thank you. Now my car is a daily driver as of right now. It has 2 winter tires and 4 all season tires in its itinerary. I was wondering if I could change 2 of the all seasons that are 245's to 275's (or 255's) and then keep the 245's up front. Then in the winter take the 275's (or 255's) off and then put the winter tires on and never rotate the fronts.

Does that sound like a good plan or will it be met with failure?
    Ya you can do that if you wish. Like I said, with the mismatch tires I have on 4 different cars, I just don't rotate, because I can't. But they are fair weather cars and not driven on a daily basis anyway.
    I drive em' until the front tires show enough wear to warrant replacing them and then I just buy another pair.
    That's just how you have to do it with a setup like that.

Even the factory produced cars that came originally with different size tires front and back, and they couldn't be rotated. Remember the Challenger T/A and the AAR cuda? Even the newer corvettes are this way also. You just don't rotate em'.
    Even my Typhoon was a pain in the butt. It had factory sized tires that were the same all the way around.
    But....the wheels were different offsets from front to back. So when you rotated tires on that one,,,the tires had to be broken down and switched from wheel to wheel in order to rotate them. Fun fun.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Tire size is 245 /50 ZR16: OEM specification.

255/50/ZR16: track use/265 are for drag/circuit/street.

265/40/ ZR16: strictly for racing.

Last edited by Hot head; 04-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I would throw your winter tires on the snowflakes, and pick up a set of 17x9" wheels and run 275/40/17's all the way around.

Then you get the best of both worlds...you can run summer tires on the 17's and not have to compromise and get all seasons, and you can run a dedicated winter tire on your snowflakes, for best possible winter handling. And running the same size tires f/r on both sets of wheels will allow you to rotate them.

And actually, as far as winter tires, I'm wondering it a 235/55/16 might be a better choice. As far as winter tires go, the narrower the better.

As far as getting 17's, I'm sure you can find a set of the 17x9 SS ten spokes on one of the classifieds board, or you could get a new set of ZR1's. They look good, and they're super cheap.

FirebirdJones - My 88 GTA was like your Tyhoon. 245/50's all around, but the front and rear wheels were different. I just never rotated. For some reason I'd only have to replace the fronts at every other tire change, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    FirebirdJones - My 88 GTA was like your Tyhoon. 245/50's all around, but the front and rear wheels were different. I just never rotated. For some reason I'd only have to replace the fronts at every other tire change, haha.
    Ya my 88 Iroc was that way too.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I would throw your winter tires on the snowflakes, and pick up a set of 17x9" wheels and run 275/40/17's all the way around.

Then you get the best of both worlds...you can run summer tires on the 17's and not have to compromise and get all seasons, and you can run a dedicated winter tire on your snowflakes, for best possible winter handling. And running the same size tires f/r on both sets of wheels will allow you to rotate them.

And actually, as far as winter tires, I'm wondering it a 235/55/16 might be a better choice. As far as winter tires go, the narrower the better.

As far as getting 17's, I'm sure you can find a set of the 17x9 SS ten spokes on one of the classifieds board, or you could get a new set of ZR1's. They look good, and they're super cheap.

My winter tires are not on my snowflakes. I have 2 ectra pair of rims for snow tires they are 225's. Will 225's work on snow flakes?

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

i'm current using 275 proxy TQs on my snowflakes, they've served me very well for over a year...but it's time to move on to my long awaited c5z06s

Thread Information