Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Tire Recommendations

Whats a good recommendation for tires?

I still have the stock 16" rims. It looks like it will be next yr before I can get new ones.

I need something for dry and wet. It rains more here then Seattle. Average winter temp is 40 degrees, only a few days does it drop below freezing.

I drive it to work a couple of times a week and its about 30 miles one way on hwy.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

My current favorite is Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S. They were the only z-rated all weather tire at the time that I found that came with a mileage rating, 45,000 miles. All the others had no official rating, and from what I researched they seemed to be in the 30,000 mile range. They give a great, smooth ride. And with my old tires (Sumitomos I think) I would sometimes get that little 'almost' hydroplaning feeling when I'd hid a sudden puddle on the highway, but I've never felt that on these Michelins. I've driven them in summer, winter, sun, rain, and snow, and they've felt pretty solid in all weather...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I have had sumitomo htr+ since Feb 08 decent wet weather traction and mileage,going to try some Nitto 555 this time.best tire I have had on the t/a were Fusion zri
    Posted via Mobile Device

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I liked my Goodyear F1 gs-d3. But I think I'm going to give these a try.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149325

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Anyone tried the Nitto Nt 505's?
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

Navy Blue Metallic

How can you find out the tire temperature ratings? most descriptions are generic. I want to know how cold is too cold for a summer tire?

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Near freezing temps I think.never seen a exact temp.maybe tire manufactures website?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Navy Blue Metallic

I've checked nothing. I went to a couple of tire stores here and from what I got from them is that it is more along the lines of not driving in the snow and ice on "Summer" tires because they are not designed to those elements and I understand that. Its when they state do not drive in cold climates etc...

They did say that with the amount of rain in the year that we get some of those tires would be perfect for my area to help maintain traction.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

in extreme south alabama you could definately get away with summer tires year round.

NBM
    1999 Pontiac Trans AM

I've been running Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the last few years but they are terrible in the winter. Rubber is way too hard below 45 degrees.

I just ordered 4 x 245/50ZR -16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Getting skinned on Thursday.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Going to order some Nitto 555s Fri I hope
    Posted via Mobile Device

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by OldmansTA View Post
    I've been running Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the last few years but they are terrible in the winter. Rubber is way too hard below 45 degrees.

I just ordered 4 x 245/50ZR -16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Getting skinned on Thursday.
    How do both handle in the rain?

We get balls deep in rain here and it isn't a thing where you can say oh its going to rain today i leave the T/A at home. I'm so close to the Gulf that we have more rain then Seattle. During the summer months I can leave work and its raining and get 2 miles down the road and I can pull the tops off for the rest of the ride home.

Winter temps don't get below 40 on average here.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How do both handle in the rain?

We get balls deep in rain here and it isn't a thing where you can say oh its going to rain today i leave the T/A at home. I'm so close to the Gulf that we have more rain then Seattle. During the summer months I can leave work and its raining and get 2 miles down the road and I can pull the tops off for the rest of the ride home.

Winter temps don't get below 40 on average here.
    I ran through 2 sets of the gs-d3's. They have lots of grip and handle the rain better than any tire I've ever run. Downside they are hard as a rock when it is cold and they are expensive.

I still think my next set of tires will be http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Camaro They are about half the prices of the gs-d3's and are rated as good or better.

NBM
    1999 Pontiac Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I ran through 2 sets of the gs-d3's. They have lots of grip and handle the rain better than any tire I've ever run. Downside they are hard as a rock when it is cold and they are expensive.

I agree with the GS-D3 traction wet or dry. I never felt like I was out of control except in the winter. I would've liked a set of the OEM F1 GSC's but they quit making them.

I run the F1 GS-2's on my Sky Redline and found them great in the summer and passable in the winter. But I have 2 punctures and can't get replacements until March/April. I don't think "run flat" is good for two months of my driving.

I guess this makes my Trans Am my winter beater...

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post

I still think my next set of tires will be http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Camaro They are about half the prices of the gs-d3's and are rated as good or better.
    I just ordered a couple of these for the rear. Should be a heck of alot better than the Federals I have on there now. I hope anyway.

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Awesome, please fill us in about the tires when you get them! Pay good attention to the average everyday turning and quick lane changing, how the car tracks in a straight line, and if the side walls feel to mushy. Thats all I can think of for now haha. I dont think youll be disappointed. Ive read some good things about the tires.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

ordered a set of 4 Nitto nt555 tires today!!!!! discount tire direct,$552.xx total!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    ordered a set of 4 Nitto nt555 tires today!!!!! discount tire direct,$552.xx total!
    what sizes?

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

if hes got stock tires they are 275/40/17

red
    2000 Z28

I've been very happy with my 275/40-17 Firestone Indy 500 Wide Ovals. They handle the downpours of Central Florida really well, they have a decent wear rating, and they are pretty quiet for summer tires. My car is almost 100% street driven. I purchased them based on the user ratings from the Tire Rack. I also considered the Continental Extreme Contact DW. They are both about $60 less expensive per tire than the Pilot Sport A/S, $100/tire less than the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, and $117/tire less than the Pilot Sport PS2. I haven't used them on a track (and wouldn't), but their handling on the street is superb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information