1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Tire pressure confirmation

Most everyone on LS1 knows this already but I have read a few threads about tires riding better at 35 PSI or similar. I was curious and e/mailed Goodyear, and received a call from 'Todd' in customer service today. He said that there would be 'center line' excessive wear if regularly kept at 35 PSI if the door panel says 30 PSI. He said that 1 or 2 pounds over would be no problem or insignificant. The max tire pressure on the sidewall should have NO BEARING (even on the new 50+ max pressure ratings). Keep it at 30 PSI if that is what the door panel says. Just some info for anyone that can use it. No need to wear out the tires any faster than 'normal'.

White
    1997 Camaro Z28

im no expert, but i do believe that it does depend on the tread and Size of the tire before you just say all tires should be run at 30 psi.

my 315's dont like 30psi.........they will "center line" as you put it..........even at that, they wear evenly at 22psi.

but i know they can be different for different tires/compounds

my et streets wear nice at 15psi

plus i would love to see someone autox their car at 30psi (but i know you meant DDing)

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i had 275/35/17 bfg drags at 20 psi. the wear was perfect but they dont last long on a daily driver
    00' ws6, custom paint, bolt on's and bolt in's.. http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=11454

white
    1999 Trans AM 30th anniv.

i would say todd was probably correct on stock tires on stock wheels,the width of wheel & tire change how much pressure is required,anything over 30 is going to ride rougher,lower rides better but you loose you cornering ability because sidewall will not hold up as good

Burgundy
    2000 TA

This info on tire pressure really came in handy for me. I just had a set of BFG KDW and went about 275 miles on the new tires, and the T/A seemed to ride funny and seemed to be finding the grooves in the road. Checked the tire pressure and found out that when SAM'S Club installed the tires, they inflated them to the max (44 lbs). Took air out and have them at 30 lbs.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Being in the tire business most of my life 32 was always recommended until a few years back when 35 became the new tire pressure everyone recommended. I run 35 psi in mine and wears fine. Lower pressure will cause more heat.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Glad the info helped you

Quote Originally Posted by PATTYLS1
    This info on tire pressure really came in handy for me. I just had a set of BFG KDW and went about 275 miles on the new tires, and the T/A seemed to ride funny and seemed to be finding the grooves in the road. Checked the tire pressure and found out that when SAM'S Club installed the tires, they inflated them to the max (44 lbs). Took air out and have them at 30 lbs.
    I'm glad you could use the information provided by Goodyear. Sam's makes me laugh as I have bought many sets of tires from them for my daily drivers. I doubt they have put in the right air pressure yet on any set. Thank heavens the door panels tell us what to use.

Thread Information