Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thinking of Going Wider

Well as most of you know I bought some CCW wheels a few months ago. They are 18x10 F and 18x11 R. They came with Vredestein tires on them with the sizes of 275/35/18 F and 295/35/18 R. I don't like the way the tires are stretched to fit on the front and rear wheels. It seems to make the car ride rougher because of the angle of the side wall. Someone suggested getting new shocks but when I had my C6 Z06 DD wheels (18x8.5 w 255/40/18 R and 18x10.5 w/ 295/35/18 R) on the car it rode awesome. I have the eibach pro-kit with bilstein shocks. Any thoughts? Would new shocks work? To alleviate the problem I am thinking about getting new tires. How wide should I go and what do I need to get them to fit? Do I just need to roll the fender?

Last edited by 2001camaroSS; 11-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I hate to say it but..... I told you so!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I hate to say it but..... I told you so!
    ha i knew it was going to be an issue when I bought the wheels. I probably won't end up doing anything for a little while just because I don't drive the car that much. i'm thinking of getting 315s though in the rear. that'd be pretty bad ass.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Well as most of you know I bought some CCW wheels a few months ago. They are 18x10 F and 18x11 R. They came with Vredestein tires on them with the sizes of 275/35/18 F and 295/35/18 R. I don't like the way the tires are stretched to fit on the front and rear wheels. It seems to make the car ride rougher because of the angle of the side wall. Someone suggested getting new shocks but when I had my C6 Z06 DD wheels (18x8.5 w 255/40/18 R and 18x10.5 w/ 295/35/18 R) on the car it rode awesome. I have the eibach pro-kit with bilstein shocks. Any thoughts? Would new shocks work? To alleviate the problem I am thinking about getting new tires. How wide should I go and what do I need to get them to fit? Do I just need to roll the fender?

Click for full size

Click for full size
    sick car.. very nice man..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You're going through wheels and tires like women go through shoes.
    Put the rear tires up front and get some 315's for the rear. Bilsteins aren't valved for eibach springs so there will always be some "comfort" left on the table in your case. Different tire manufactures will have firmer sidewall even if they have the same profile. If you already have an adj. panhard rod and centered it you will either need to roll or grind the fenders a bit. I personally prefer to have mine ground out to prevent cracking that can occur with rolling.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    sick car.. very nice man..
    thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You're going through wheels and tires like women go through shoes.
    Put the rear tires up front and get some 315's for the rear. Bilsteins aren't valved for eibach springs so there will always be some "comfort" left on the table in your case. Different tire manufactures will have firmer sidewall even if they have the same profile. If you already have an adj. panhard rod and centered it you will either need to roll or grind the fenders a bit. I personally prefer to have mine ground out to prevent cracking that can occur with rolling.
    well im done changing the wheels thats for sure. what would it be like running 295s up front? i do not have an adj. panhard bar and having the fender ground off shouldn't be a problem.

black
    1999 camaro SS

thanks man

well im done changing the wheels thats for sure. what would it be like running 295s up front? i do not have an adj. panhard bar and having the fender ground off shouldn't be a problem.
    honestly 285 is perfect for a 10" wheel but since you already have 295 from your back wheels you might as well switch them to the front. I have 275 on my fronts which are 10" and it's way too skinny of a tire. I'll go 285 next time for sure

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

thanks man

Shouldn't feel any different other than you'll have more grip. I know people who run 315's on all corners just haven't heard on 18's though. Don't grind the whole thing, just enough to get the tires to clear. You might have to hammer the wheels wells to get the 315's to fit. Mount them on the car and reach back there to feel where they rub and hammer it out. How do you like the grip of those tires?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    honestly 285 is perfect for a 10" wheel but since you already have 295 from your back wheels you might as well switch them to the front. I have 275 on my fronts which are 10" and it's way too skinny of a tire. I'll go 285 next time for sure
    Tirerack shows what width tire will fit what width rim if he wants to get technical. Interesting to see how some 275's are narrower than another brands 265's.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Shouldn't feel any different other than you'll have more grip. I know people who run 315's on all corners just haven't heard on 18's though. Don't grind the whole thing, just enough to get the tires to clear. You might have to hammer the wheels wells to get the 315's to fit. Mount them on the car and reach back there to feel where they rub and hammer it out. How do you like the grip of those tires?
    sounds good. thanks for the suggestions and sound like i should get an adjustable panhard bar. quite frankly i dont like them. they do not grip as well as my KDW NT's i was thinking about taking these off and selling them since they only have 1000 miles on them if that.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Interesting to know. I have only heard about them and never seen them in person so it's nice to get an f-body reviewer. Probably can sell them off to a "tuner" on craigslist, they seem to go for that stretched look for whatever reason.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Interesting to know. I have only heard about them and never seen them in person so it's nice to get an f-body reviewer. Probably can sell them off to a "tuner" on craigslist, they seem to go for that stretched look for whatever reason.
    what sizes would you buy? and how much are these things with under 1000 miles on them?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Standard would probably be 285 in front and 315 in the rear. However like said above one tire manufacturers 265 will fit a 9.5" rim while another requires a 275. Tire rack gives the specs of each tire brand to take out your guess work. Online tires has the cheapest prices, find someone who price matches to save a few bucks those 18" rear tires are freakin expensive.

As for your vredesteins I don't even know how much you payed for them new.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Standard would probably be 285 in front and 315 in the rear. However like said above one tire manufacturers 265 will fit a 9.5" rim while another requires a 275. Tire rack gives the specs of each tire brand to take out your guess work. Online tires has the cheapest prices, find someone who price matches to save a few bucks those 18" rear tires are freakin expensive.

As for your vredesteins I don't even know how much you payed for them new.
    well i didnt buy them. i bought the set used. according to the bill he was charged 150 a piece but that must have been a deal since he bought them all as a package.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

I have been running BF Goodrich KDWS 285/40/17s for over 5 years and they are awesome! Problem is, they are discontinued in that size. Same with Michelin Pilot Sports. Anybody know where I can get some? Sponsors? Recommendation on a replacement?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If all else fails, eBay.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OP, ever think of adjustible Konis?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    OP, ever think of adjustible Konis?
    its something i want to do. just need the money to do so. i have a list of things the car needs to be where i want it. i guess it will just be a matter of knocking them out one by one.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

its something i want to do. just need the money to do so. i have a list of things the car needs to be where i want it. i guess it will just be a matter of knocking them out one by one.
    Yup. Do things in stages. Cheaper that way.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Yup. Do things in stages. Cheaper that way.
    yea i think im going to try to change up the tires first and see if that alleviates the problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information