Thread: Spacers?

Pewter
    99 WS6

Spacers?

Hey guys i was just wondering if any of yall have heard of things called spacers, it makes ur tires look wider. They are called wheel spacers, i was just wondering if anyone has heard of them or where i can get them.

thanx

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

they don't make your wheels look wider. they just push the wheel out further from under the car.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    1999 Trans am WS7

Im wondering the same thing...Are they safe? I was wanting to get them but didnt know how safe they were? Is there anything else you need?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you are refering to spacers only, it depends on how thick they are. going more than 1/4" will need longer studs. also, if the spacers ever crack and fall out, the wheel will be loose.

if you are refering to adapters, then they are safer. minimum thickness will be 1". adapters are bolted to your existing hub and have studs in them to bolt the wheels to it.

Red
    1999 Trans am WS7

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    if you are refering to spacers only, it depends on how thick they are. going more than 1/4" will need longer studs. also, if the spacers ever crack and fall out, the wheel will be loose.

if you are refering to adapters, then they are safer. minimum thickness will be 1". adapters are bolted to your existing hub and have studs in them to bolt the wheels to it.
    Thanx!!!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

they are safe provided they are hubcentric, and that you have plenty of thread to tighten the wheels afterwords... if not, you need to get longer studs.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    they are safe provided they are hubcentric, and that you have plenty of thread to tighten the wheels afterwords... if not, you need to get longer studs.

Hub centric AND wheel centric are definitely the key to safety. Hub centric means the adapters are made for the specific bore size of the hub. Wheel centric means the adapters are made for the specific bore size of the wheel. By having both hub and wheel centric adapters, there will be no slop on the fitment and no vibration.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

but since our wheels are hubcentric, depending on how big the spacer is, If the rim can 't get to the spindle for hubcentricity, the spacer must provide that service.
    Last edited by Eugenio_SS; 03-01-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

I have some questions about spacers also... I plan on orderings some slip on spacers in the near future as well. My first question is, what is the center-bore diameter needed to center the spacer on the hub? I measured my hub diameter to 2 3/4" , but i've read elsewhere that the correct size is 70.3mm, slightly larger.. Does it make a difference?

Also, the wheels I have ready to mount are vette wheels and they slide on the hub just fine, wouldn't getting the wheel-centric lip be a bad idea? I don't see how the wheel will slide onto the spacer if it has a lip, wouldn't the lip be too large in diameter if the wheelcenter bore just clears the hub as it is now? Maybe I'm just picturing it wrong in my mind...

Thread Information