Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Rear Tires For My 01?

hey guys, just trying to get opinions on good streetable tires for my 01 ss, i am looking for something to grab good but still last more than 3k its an m6 and it will be making around 430 rwhp next spring, also runnin 9" with 4.10's. any suggestions on the best tires for the street.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Street tires:

Nitto NT555Extreme
    Nitto NT01
    Nitto Invo
    BFG KDW2
    BFG G-Force Sport

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

+1 for the nitto 555 r. Mine hook great even cold. But im mostly stock. But i have friends with boost that hook great with them. And best of all i got my rear set 2754017 for 2 bills shippied
    2001 SS SLP#3627 Bright red, M6, Lid, Catback, Few suspension goodies. Low miles and clean

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yep. Nittos are pretty good for the price. I love mine.

Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thats what everyone said, but im just worried that it wont grab like i want, haha but then again i dont think any tire will besides a slick.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

traction and mileage are enemies......nitto's DR offers the better of both worlds on the street. They won't hook like Mickey's will but they'll last twice or three times as long.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by StangEater77 View Post
    Thats what everyone said, but im just worried that it wont grab like i want, haha but then again i dont think any tire will besides a slick.
    If you have a stick shift and plan on launching it they wont hook. Also if your on a 17" rim the low profile tire isnt going to help. I would look into getting something for a tire other then the nitto nt555r's. Even though the 555'r lasts the longest tread life wise the performance is just not there. If your on a 15" rim on the other hand the nitto's will hook driving around, mine wouldnt spin if I stomped it in first gear at 5k. Launching though is a different story.
    98 ws6 stock short block 228r ls6 Heads Fast 102 tick level 2 trans monster stage 3 mwc 9 on the way

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    If you have a stick shift and plan on launching it they wont hook. Also if your on a 17" rim the low profile tire isnt going to help. I would look into getting something for a tire other then the nitto nt555r's. Even though the 555'r lasts the longest tread life wise the performance is just not there. If your on a 15" rim on the other hand the nitto's will hook driving around, mine wouldnt spin if I stomped it in first gear at 5k. Launching though is a different story.
    I cut a 1.70 on Nitto's....the biggest difference I saw between nitto's and mickey's (other than mileage) was consistency. The Nitto's wouldn't always cut those low .70 short times every pass but the Mickey's would. High 1.60- low 1.70 every pass. I'd make 5-6 passes and there would be .02 difference between all of them. The biggest difference is mileage.....I get ~13k out of a set of Nitto's and Mickey's are good for about half that. I keep the mickey's on track only rims in the garage and DD the Nitto's.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I cut a 1.70 on Nitto's....the biggest difference I saw between nitto's and mickey's (other than mileage) was consistency. The Nitto's wouldn't always cut those low .70 short times every pass but the Mickey's would. High 1.60- low 1.70 every pass. I'd make 5-6 passes and there would be .02 difference between all of them. The biggest difference is mileage.....I get ~13k out of a set of Nitto's and Mickey's are good for about half that. I keep the mickey's on track only rims in the garage and DD the Nitto's.
    Are you an auto or m6?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hyphy01ss View Post
    +1 for the nitto 555 r. Mine hook great even cold. But im mostly stock. But i have friends with boost that hook great with them. And best of all i got my rear set 2754017 for 2 bills shippied
    I run the Nitto 555r DR's and I am boosted and I can blow the tires off the rims at a 50mph roll if I wanted to now that the tread on them is lower and the weather is a bit cooler out.

Mine lasted 12K miles with little track time and all street driving...maybe 6 burnouts over 2 years.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I go back to my original statement.....traction and mileage are enemies. You have to either go one way or the other or do your best to find something in between. There just aren't a ton of in between options out there really. You also have to look at power levels.....once you start making real power hooking up becomes a bigger and bigger problem. At that point you have to start looking at the tires and suspension as a whole. Can't just throw drag radials on stock suspension and expect it to hook on the street if you're putting down decent power.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 12K in suspension work.

Nitto's hooked great with boost when it was hot out. Even in 1st gear with 4.11 gears. Now that it is cooler out, they don't hook...at all...in any gear. They still have tread on them, but I guess it's beyond the point of them working for shit anymore.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Do you need to have the consistency mentioned at all times? Can you afford new tires every year (depending on how much you drive)? Any hard cornering (auto-x)? How often are you at the track? Is it more important to have a good et or beat every car you line up with at a red light?

GMHTP take on Mickey's: 2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 Tires & Line Lock - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

IMO, with a new rear, if it wasn't my DD, I WOULD def have a set of Mickey's. Nitto's (or whatever) would be for DD'ing, cruising or if I drove it alot.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 11-30-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Thread Information