Results 1 to 17 of 17

Nitto555R?

This is a discussion on Nitto555R? within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; I just purchased a set of these for 300 shipped, has anyone used these tires? if so whats everyones opinion ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Nitto555R?

    I just purchased a set of these for 300 shipped, has anyone used these tires? if so whats everyones opinion on these tires?

  2. #2
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    are you talking about the regular 555r's or the 555r DR's...? if it happens to be the street tire and not the drag radial, i have had them on my car for almost 20k and they are doing great. very good ZR rated tire for the price...

    now, if you are talking about the Drag Radial, here is a thread that might help you out...

    Nitto 555r Drag Radials...

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    are you talking about the regular 555r's or the 555r DR's...? if it happens to be the street tire and not the drag radial, i have had them on my car for almost 20k and they are doing great. very good ZR rated tire for the price...

    now, if you are talking about the Drag Radial, here is a thread that might help you out...

    Nitto 555r Drag Radials...
    Yea sorry im talkin about the drag radial i purchased those today thanks for your input.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    The only other thing is he has 315s on his car mine are 275s so there will be quite a diff there too.

  5. #5
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    The only other thing is he has 315s on his car mine are 275s so there will be quite a diff there too.
    i am the 'he' you are talking about. i started that thread about letting people know that 315/35/17 nittos can fit on a stock 17x9" rim...

    glad i could help you out...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Smile

    lol sorry man i didnt even look at who wrote the thread i just remember reading that earlier today before i bought mine is ther much difference in the 275s than what u got and do u need to warm em up before you drag or just a quick dump or what works best for you?

  7. #7
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    lol sorry man i didnt even look at who wrote the thread i just remember reading that earlier today before i bought mine is ther much difference in the 275s than what u got and do u need to warm em up before you drag or just a quick dump or what works best for you?
    im still trying to figure it out. ive done a mix of both. my problem is, is that im still bogging at the line and it's killing my 60' and over all ET times...

    driver mod needed...

    check out my other thread to see what i mean:
    1st ever 1/4mi times...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    im still trying to figure it out. ive done a mix of both. my problem is, is that im still bogging at the line and it's killing my 60' and over all ET times...

    driver mod needed...

    check out my other thread to see what i mean:
    1st ever 1/4mi times...
    Is there any preference you have had yet?sorry if im askin a lot of ?s, but this is my first set of DR's and all my last 3 camaros have been autos so im new to all this. I dont really wanna burn up a new set of tires if just a quick dump is all they need, im all stock except for lid and exhaust, but i do have a few suspension mods and the tires i had on the car when i bought it were some bald khumos which are a joke none the less even if they had tread.

  9. #9
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Is there any preference you have had yet?sorry if im askin a lot of ?s, but this is my first set of DR's and all my last 3 camaros have been autos so im new to all this. I dont really wanna burn up a new set of tires if just a quick dump is all they need, im all stock except for lid and exhaust, but i do have a few suspension mods and the tires i had on the car when i bought it were some bald khumos which are a joke none the less even if they had tread.
    i prefer the shorter burnout in the burnout box. like you i dont care to burn up my new set as well (almost 3k on them). also, since i stick so well i see no additional advantage to doing a longer burnout...

    drop your tire pressure. i was at 24psi and next time out im dropping it even more since the lower my tire pressure was, the better my 60' turned out...

    just takes practice, practice, practice to find out what works the best for you...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i prefer the shorter burnout in the burnout box. like you i dont care to burn up my new set as well (almost 3k on them). also, since i stick so well i see no additional advantage to doing a longer burnout...

    drop your tire pressure. i was at 24psi and next time out im dropping it even more since the lower my tire pressure was, the better my 60' turned out...

    just takes practice, practice, practice to find out what works the best for you...
    How long will my stock rearend hold up with these tires? i know the stocker is a weak sob and i will be getting a moser 12 bolt just dont have the money right now

  11. #11
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    How long will my stock rearend hold up with these tires? i know the stocker is a weak sob and i will be getting a moser 12 bolt just dont have the money right now
    i dont have an answer for that. i really dont. im running my stock 10 bolt w/3:42 gears (i have an 6spd). years, months, some people say if you just look at them crossed-eyed they will break...

    i just dont recommend doing 5k dumps. a number of those will really shorten the life of it...

    think of it this way, 'how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?'. how long will a 10 bolt last? no one really knows...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i dont have an answer for that. i really dont. im running my stock 10 bolt w/3:42 gears (i have an 6spd). years, months, some people say if you just look at them crossed-eyed they will break...

    i just dont recommend doing 5k dumps. a number of those will really shorten the life of it...

    think of it this way, 'how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?'. how long will a 10 bolt last? no one really knows...
    well im just getting my tires mounted tomorrow and jensen tire quoted me 50 or 60 to mount the tire and balance even if i just bring the rims and tires in they dont even have to take em off the car. Does that sound reasonable to u? cuz it sure dont to me

  13. #13
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    well im just getting my tires mounted tomorrow and jensen tire quoted me 50 or 60 to mount the tire and balance even if i just bring the rims and tires in they dont even have to take em off the car. Does that sound reasonable to u? cuz it sure dont to me
    that's high, Discount tire did mine for around $35-40 for both. NTB, is good but not sure of their prices...

    you will like these tires. but so its known however, not that well of a rain performing tire. living in Kansas City for 25 years and going to KSU, i know the kind of weather you have up there...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    that's high, Discount tire did mine for around $35-40 for both. NTB, is good but not sure of their prices...

    you will like these tires. but so its known however, not that well of a rain performing tire. living in Kansas City for 25 years and going to KSU, i know the kind of weather you have up there...
    Ah yes i saw the rain performance but thats ok cuz i have an 02 dodge ram i dont drive my car as a daily. I will be redoing the whole thing with a 383 stroker or 427, new tranny from t56rebuilds.com and moser 12 bolt so i leave her sit and just get practice with the stock ls1 for now. It has 90k on this motor so dont really feel like doin much to it. I really hope these tires work great cuz the hot rod tv show is havin a car show in my home town and they are have 1/8 mile drags.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Ok so i just got my tires on tonight and went out to test them. Holy S%$t batman do they hook up compared to wat i had before. I dont even have enough power to do a burnout with them on a smooth they bogged the car out and i have a 6spd too!!! Wow now i need to start doin more engine mods to put these things to the test. I can launch at 3-3500k ridin the clutch a lil and damn puts a big ol smile on my face for some money well spent for once.

  16. #16
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by miller456 View Post
    Ok so i just got my tires on tonight and went out to test them. Holy S%$t batman do they hook up compared to wat i had before. I dont even have enough power to do a burnout with them on a smooth they bogged the car out and i have a 6spd too!!! Wow now i need to start doin more engine mods to put these things to the test. I can launch at 3-3500k ridin the clutch a lil and damn puts a big ol smile on my face for some money well spent for once.
    i tried to tell you, that you'd grip 'n go my friend...

    now you see why i had issues at the track with getting so much grip i bogged. between shifting from 1st-2nd, my car jumps forward trying to break loose since she grips so good. glad you like them!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    omaha, ne
    Age
    31
    Posts
    228

    red
    1998 camaro z28

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    i tried to tell you, that you'd grip 'n go my friend...

    now you see why i had issues at the track with getting so much grip i bogged. between shifting from 1st-2nd, my car jumps forward trying to break loose since she grips so good. glad you like them!
    That i do very much worth the money, its just that this is my first 6spd and my first set of drag radials. Im not used to bein able to launch it and i def. believed u from the beginning and appreciate ur post it was very informative for me and my decision. I have 1/8 mile drags tomorrow i will post again about how i do.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •