Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Nitto 555R vs MT ET Street Radial? -- The Tire Train

This is a discussion on Nitto 555R vs MT ET Street Radial? -- The Tire Train within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by djvaly I'll try to do that... cool. hey I got a leak just saw it tonight,, red/pink ...

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I'll try to do that... cool. hey I got a leak just saw it tonight,, red/pink oil? driver's side kind of next to the headlight...? wtf is there? and the tranny looks like it start slipping a bit, it worries me mate... a burnt like fume comes from underneath the car too when I parked in a lot,, wtf?
    red/pink oul by the drivers side headlight shouldnt be your trans at all, if I am thinking correctly right now then your trans cooler and lines are all closer to the passenger headlight. Is your car making a whining noise at all when you are trying to steer? That is the color fluid and the placement of your power steering pump. As for your transmission, I know your car has not been stalled that long and you have a built trans. When exactly do you feel it slipping? The 4l60 has a "partial lockup" feature built into the trans where your stall converter will not be fully locked and there for can feel as though your transmission is slipping. If you are really worried about it I would reccommend getting a transmission temperature gauge so that you can keep an eye on it.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I wheel hopped a bit but I can't do nice burnouts like M6 to heat up the tires,
    I went around the water box, no burn out either,
    why cant you do nice burnouts? I have a 3200 stall and she will burn the tires straight to the rims if I let her

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    why cant you do nice burnouts? I have a 3200 stall and she will burn the tires straight to the rims if I let her
    haven't tried to do burn outs too much. I guess I can do the break foot on and let it go bit by bit for a burn out on A4?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    red/pink oul by the drivers side headlight shouldnt be your trans at all, if I am thinking correctly right now then your trans cooler and lines are all closer to the passenger headlight. Is your car making a whining noise at all when you are trying to steer? That is the color fluid and the placement of your power steering pump. As for your transmission, I know your car has not been stalled that long and you have a built trans. When exactly do you feel it slipping? The 4l60 has a "partial lockup" feature built into the trans where your stall converter will not be fully locked and there for can feel as though your transmission is slipping. If you are really worried about it I would reccommend getting a transmission temperature gauge so that you can keep an eye on it.
    the coolant was really low, it is dripping bit by bit, fawk! and so I think because I drove the car for like an hour on low coolant, no wonder there was fumes and burnt like smoke coming from the under the car kind of where the tranny is. I think the low coolant thing fried the tranny,... shit! it is slipping...
    I left the car at LG, this is the second time the tranny gets messed up, first the radiator line broke and water went into the tranny, then coolant line broken somewhere and tranny gets fried again... here's goes another $500 in replacing fried part on the A4 stage4. that sucks. more power more shit that can happen, I am seriously thinking of selling it for 30k and buy a 15k one and keep it 360rwhp and drive it daily. it starts to be a pain in the but. another 30 days the car in the shop till they get the tranny rebuilt. I mean this is bull mates, bad bad luck with this car,
    first hydrolock the ls1 engine, then tranny gets fried because of water in the tranny due to radiator line break, now coolant line breaks up front and tranny get overheated and fries... what next? shit... I am selling it and getting a stock c5 vette and mod it moderately to have it as daily driver too.

I hit the track twice and cruised the TA for an hour and got hit by a coolant line break and tranny fried on me. that's bull, I'd rather have 400rhwp and have a more reliable street car than 500rwhp and be a track car... it is not a street car no more, and I aint into track that much so when all put together I am thinking of selling it and get a more streetable sports car like another TA or C5. I mean before the 402 ls2 motor, I was at 360rwhp and it was awesome. I used to take it on long cruises without worring what is gonna fry on me etc, now with all that power and tq and heat and stress on parts created because of that shit starts to happen.. and also I should have never lowered it cause I had clearance issues with the headers. etc etc. well you live and learn, next time around I am not looking for a track car but rather a good c5 or TA that puts some good numbers on the street and is good for cruising around and do a bit of street racing too. that's all. I am dissapointed that I spent 18k on the mods and don't enjoy the car really cause in it's been 3 months out of 4 months this year in the shop. and everytime I hit the track some freaking check engine or spring pops in the rear... tired of fixing shit on the car just to take it 2-3 time to the track a year.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Think twice about that.
    Get the issues worked out and the car will be plenty streetable. Mine is.

yeah man, gotto see what's up I hate stuff that keeps happening, it really puts me down. it's bad luck the tranny being built up 3 times in 4 months is not a good thing.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Trust me...I understand.
    My car was down 7 months while I did the swap.

damn, 7 months, I feel better already

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

D.J.
    what have you done to the suspension and the rear as far as shocks, trq arm, axles, etc.....? im just curious to know why you are breaking things in the rear. you have a 12 bolt i assume, and a built auto with what gears? just curious is all.

ah man, I know for sure the tranny is fried, smoke came up it's ass
    I gotto let LG know if my radiator line or coolant line break again, it ain't my fault cause they should guarantee that stuff. but they never did any work on the radiator nor coolant lines so I dunno. I hope they forgot to plug it in tight, perhaps they can cover the cost on this. but still 1 month of waiting ahhh. at least I got a daily driver now. ehhehe...
    I will think twice mate, I'll get an LS1 vette maybe, I have to see. I mean the TA is streetable just every time I pull on it a weekend on the street and take it to the track 2-3 times, I am expecting something to break or something to snap loose. etc. I guess it's the nature of the hobby... here goes another thousand!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    D.J.
    what have you done to the suspension and the rear as far as shocks, trq arm, axles, etc.....? im just curious to know why you are breaking things in the rear. you have a 12 bolt i assume, and a built auto with what gears? just curious is all.
    I got eibach pro kit springs, blistein shocks, SFC... I had them put the TQ arm and adjustable panhard bar on too yesterday.
    on stock bolt, 3:73 gears... but the tranny gets fried not the rear end.
    bad bad luck, water line broke from the radiator and got water in the tranny 2 months ago, they rebuilt for $500 on a few parts replaced on the tranny, now the coolant line broke and super heated the tranny and fried it. fawk! another $500 I think.

Pewter
    2000 z28

also, a big thanks to 01raptorTA for the nitto nt555r drag radials. i should be getting them soon and ive wanted them for a lond time. i will post results when i mount them, but after some test launching lately i am alittle pessimistic that i will launch even with the drs.

i have the stock 16s up front on stock tread, and out back i have a 17 inch wheel with 275/40s. i spin like crazy obviously but am still on high psi. even with the drag radials they are a bigger size wheels than the front ones and that coupled with the spring rate in the rear, i think im gonna have trouble....

yeah you need to launch on 15-18psi on DRs... and get them tq arm, etc etc rear end built up and suspension work.

Black
    99 SS

trust me on this one, ditch the 4L60, get a TH400 and be done, prolly a lot less and will hold all kinds of power.

or do the 6 speed swap.

take it from someone with experience with the 4L60's they suck and they suck, cant hold any power for shit

Pewter
    2000 z28

I got eibach pro kit springs, blistein shocks, SFC... I had them put the TQ arm and adjustable panhard bar on too yesterday.
    on stock bolt, 3:73 gears... but the tranny gets fried not the rear end.
    bad bad luck, water line broke from the radiator and got water in the tranny 2 months ago, they rebuilt for $500 on a few parts replaced on the tranny, now the coolant line broke and super heated the tranny and fried it. fawk! another $500 I think.
    did you look into a built 4l80e by chance. i have heard they can withstand high horsepower, but it doesnt seem that too much power is causing your tranny failure. you did say your build was good up to 600 hp right? perhaps it is nasty luck but i think its weird how things like coolant lines are just breaking.....

hmmm suspect....

so stock rear and axles, and stock driveshaft..... what stall speed?

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    trust me on this one, ditch the 4L60, get a TH400 and be done, prolly a lot less and will hold all kinds of power.

or do the 6 speed swap.

take it from someone with experience with the 4L60's they suck and they suck, cant hold any power for shit
    is the th400 youre talking about the 4 speed or the 3 speed? i get confused when i hear things. (i dont know a whole lot about automatic trannies).

this is A4 stage 4 built up that RPM did for me.
    http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/levelivauto.html

it holds to 600rwhp. it's not the tranny's fault, it's the lines going into it, the radiator line took a shit so obviusly water went in. then a 2 months later the coolant line broke and ran on very low coolant for about an hour and fried.
    I think the tranny stg4 is bullet proof, it's just bad luck how shit/parts feeding into it failled and
    superheated the tranny. I wish there was a heat sensor on board for the tranny, or auto shutdown when it's super hot because of lines faillure...

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    is the th400 youre talking about the 4 speed or the 3 speed? i get confused when i hear things. (i dont know a whole lot about automatic trannies).
    its a 3 speed but worth it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information