Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1979 trans am

Nitto 555r drag radials

I need new tires but I can only afford two right now. Two of my tires are in good shape so I thought I would put them up front until I can get all new tires. How would the nitto 555r drag radials be in the rain because my car is a daily driver? Do they hook up much better than normal street tires? Are there any better tires in the same price range? I'm not trying to spend much more than 300 for two tires.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You dont want to be caught in the rain with DRs, it's an accident waiting to happen. Don't know how many times i've seen people who run their car in the rain and slap a set of drag radials on the back and end up in a curb or a tree. People do it, but its impractical if you plan on driving it in the rain imo.
    Plus they won;t last you nearly as long as a good summer tire. What size are you looking for? Sometimes you can find a set of tires in a similar size for cheaper, all depends.

black
    1979 trans am

it has 275/40zr17

red
    2000 Z28

Firestone Wide-Oval Indy 500's are in that price range. They are a great daily driver tire and have excellent hydroplane/wet road performance. I've got about a year on mine and I'm very happy with them.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Check discount tire direct.com
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Discount tire always has good prices
    right off the bat i see 6 different tires that put you at 300 for a pair
    they ship for free too

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Discount tire always has good prices
    right off the bat i see 6 different tires that put you at 300 for a pair
    they ship for free too

Just had 2 Nitto 555 Extreme ZRs put on the back. Cost me 338 out the door at Discount Tire. Including install fees.
    Last edited by raynor139; 05-13-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Drag radials are not designed for all weather conditions. I've got the 555R's on the back of my car and they're great tires for dry conditions. On the front I've got the 450 Extreme's and they're a good all season high performance street tire.

http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#...2Etire%2Ent450

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Like mentioned, DR's aren't practical for all season driving.

I've been in the rain a couple of times with my Nitto 555R DR's and I was really cautious. Just to see, I got on it a little just going straight in 2nd gear and the ass end starting to come out some as the traction control kicked in.

Play it safe and let us know what you end up with!

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

You can drive with drag radials in the rain but you have to be cautious and always aware. You have to drive slow and drive nice. You can't drive like it's dry out, you can't make sudden movements, you can't throttle hard, you have to avoid standing water and drive slower then the speed your rear end wants to start floating/hydroplaning.

If you're smart, drive nice and aware of your surroundings driving with drag radials is not that difficult of a task in the rain. I've gone through two sets of 555R DRs and they were good in the rain.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What you aren't considering it that he lives in NJ, not FL.

He probably sees snow too

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

So in short, it's best not to use drag radials in any conditions other than dry roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    You can drive with drag radials in the rain but you have to be cautious and always aware. You have to drive slow and drive nice. You can't drive like it's dry out, you can't make sudden movements, you can't throttle hard, you have to avoid standing water and drive slower then the speed your rear end wants to start floating/hydroplaning.

If you're smart, drive nice and aware of your surroundings driving with drag radials is not that difficult of a task in the rain. I've gone through two sets of 555R DRs and they were good in the rain.

black
    1979 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What you aren't considering it that he lives in NJ, not FL.

He probably sees snow too
    No snow I drive a 94 Saturn in the winter lol.

I don't intend to go out in the rain I just wanted to know if I got caught in it would the dr's make it like driving on sheet ice

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No one will recommend ever driving in rain on a DR...

But with that said, the Nitto is probably the best in the rain. That really isn't saying much though.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I got caught in the rain with mine on once when a storm popped up during a car show. Of course I had to drive home very conservatively, but I didn't lose control.

Quote Originally Posted by K_garretson23 View Post
    No snow I drive a 94 Saturn in the winter lol.

I don't intend to go out in the rain I just wanted to know if I got caught in it would the dr's make it like driving on sheet ice

2002 Black WS6

I think just the regular Nitto 555's are a great tire. I planned on getting DR's, but after taking these to the track, I was truely impressed on how sticky these were. I also have that piece of mind if it ever starts raining (I live in Phoenix though, haha)

Not sure what kind of power you're working with, but just putting another option out there for ya...just my .02

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you go with Nitto, get either the NeoGen, NT555 Extreme or the Invos. I just ordered a set of NT 555 Extremes for my car yesterday from DiscountTire. Awesome folks and I can't wait to slap those tires on and see how they feel.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

After a few weeks with the Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR tires my wife said "don't put any other kind of tires on my car." I wish i had put the 555s on the monte too
    Posted via Mobile Device

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

I have the Nitto 555r (315s) on the rear of my CETA. I have an M6, 238/242 .595/.602 111LSA cam and a bunch of other bolt ons (no heads tho)... Dynoed at 429RWHP and 411RWTQ and I can EASILY break the tires loose smoking them through 1st, 2nd and beginning of 3rd of im trying to. If I'm going for 1/4 time, having a good launch, smoking the shit out of the tires and 15psi (which is too low for my liking) with the power i have i can smoke them very easily through 3/4 of 1st gear being very conservative on the clutch and babing the gas to try and get it to grab.

Now if you have stock power or a few bolt ons and nothing crazy, with the right PSI and some good heatups you should hook fairly well. Also depends on A4 or M6 also.

Rain... WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IN THE RAIN!!! Got stuck in a flash storm in NY and took the whole drive home @ 20mph on the highway where the speed limit is 50mph. The tires EASILY hydroplane, to not dissipate water well, and has ZERO conering in the rain... With a quick jolt of the gas you can be all over the road in the rain...

My suggestion from personal experience and never taking the car in the rain (except the one time i got caught by suprise) is unless you have another car as a DD i would stay away from these tires. If you see snow & rain or just rain these tires are not designed for those conditions. I would stick with an all season tire of some kind... If this car is not your DD, i would go with the MT ET II Street radials... There was a side by side performance comparison between the MT ET II and the New Nitto NT05 and what i got from it was that is simply the Nitto will get you there slightly faster, but only if you burn the shit out of the tires and drop the PSI to 12PSI which is NOT practical at all and annoying. The ET II will get you there like .004 sec slower but requires LESS a burnout at will do the job at 22PSI...

Here's the link:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html

Good luck with whatever you look to do pal! Don't want to see you or anyone hurt with Drag Radials on anything other then a weekend car that never sees rain.

All my .02

Good Luck!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 330rwhp/342rwtq and my Nitto DR's don't hook for shit at the track. I'm a M6 and have tried several different techniques, including air pressure, burn outs, and launch RPM's.

If you're looking for a track tire, Nitto 555r DR is NOT the answer. Get a Mickey Thompson!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information