Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

New rims

This is a discussion on New rims within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 lol yeah, im still waiting on tire to get in. what size tires?...

  1. #41
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    lol yeah, im still waiting on tire to get in.
    what size tires?

  2. #42
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Great job man. They look great.

    I need some details on the work.

    What paint did you use? What kind of clear coat?
    I used Krylons gray Car primer, Krylons gloss black on the insides and Dupli-color Gloss black on the out sides, and Krylons clear coat.

    First and for most you gotta prep and prep some more. Depending on how bad the originals are you may have to sand down to bare metal or be lucky and just scuff up the top layer and wash it off.
    Clean. and when i say clean.... I MEAN CLEAN lol not a superficial clean but a spa treatment deep tissue NASA space station clean and not just the fronts, but the insides too. If you can take the rims off the tires, it makes it easier to prep. Of course if your rims are straight to begin with you should be good then, but i needed to sand and grind so tire removal was easier.

    with sanding, depending how far you need to go down, you can use a scotchbrite pad or all the way down to a 120 grit. Smoothe and feather all rough edges, pits, goudges, etc...
    If you got the tires off the rims and plan on doing polished aluminum lips, nows a good time to grind any road rash off the lips and/or fillin big goudges. If you have nice aluminum rims but you have a crack, you can have it welded and then cleaned up good as new. Ive fixed a few rims for a few of my friends.

    after sanding and cleaning, i recommend polishing your lips FIRST if you are gonna polish your aluminum lips.
    you do this by sanding down to bare metal if they are painted over. you may also have to do this to get through clear coat off.
    Sand down with a 180-240ish range then work your way up until you get to 1200-2000 grit range. when sanding get ride of the previos ranges swirls before progressing until you have a pretty good looking shine.

    THEN you get your polishing/cutting compounds.
    You need some kind of drill or grinding wheel that can have polishing wheels put on it. Brown, white, and blue are the primary cutting/polishing compounds to use, IN that order too. Use separate wheels for each compound.
    Once polished clean the rims REALLY, REALLY good with mineral spirits or what ever you can find that wont leave a residue.
    THen rinse really good serveral times.

    Let dry completly. dont paint until they are dry.

    Tape off with painters tape everything you dont want painted.
    Paint in light numerous coats.
    3-4 primer
    4-5 color
    5-7 clear
    REmember, color isnt the high gloss stage, clear is. DOnt worry if the color has a few spots that arnt as glossy as others. the clear coat is where that gets fixed.
    Let dry about 15-30minuts between coats.
    After last color coat let sit for 1-24 hours depending on temps. If you have a heat gun you can use that to hasten the drying times but be carful not to have the gun too close.

    Dont let the the rims dry past 24 hours cause you might miss your window for clear coating on top of color and you will have to color/wet sand.
    You need to let the color "vent" as it drys for a few hours. If you dont, you can get bubbles under the clear and ruin your whole effort. huge amount of clear will also do the same.

    once clear coated put them bad boys away for 2-3 days before mounting tires. I would recommend taking it easy on the rims for about a month or two to allow them to fully cure. No drive through carwashes, NO WHEEL CLEANER SOLAVENTS!!, no chrome cleaner stuff, no wax, no nothing. soap and water thats it and often to keep that brake dust off. After about 2 or 3 months you shuold be good to put some wax on them just like you car to shine em up real good and to protect them that much more. after that you should be ok with normal wheel cleaners, but becarful. you dont want to have to do this ALL over again lol

  3. #43
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    what size tires?
    275/40/17s on the front
    195/35/17s on the rear

  4. #44
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    275/40/17s on the front
    195/35/17s on the rear
    I think you got that backwards....

  5. #45
    Member Faught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    round rock TX
    Posts
    354

    white
    1999 Trans Am

    very nice

  6. #46
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    275/40/17s on the front
    195/35/17s on the rear
    holy moly thats a skinny front tire.

  7. #47
    Member bobbyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    275/40/17s on the front
    195/35/17s on the rear
    did u mean 295

  8. #48
    Senior Member 98maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north bay california
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,973

    Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    275/40/17s on the front
    195/35/17s on the rear
    i think he said on other threads he was gonna run 295s,,
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

  9. #49
    Senior Member 98maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north bay california
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,973

    Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    I used Krylons gray Car primer, Krylons gloss black on the insides and Dupli-color Gloss black on the out sides, and Krylons clear coat.

    First and for most you gotta prep and prep some more. Depending on how bad the originals are you may have to sand down to bare metal or be lucky and just scuff up the top layer and wash it off.
    Clean. and when i say clean.... I MEAN CLEAN lol not a superficial clean but a spa treatment deep tissue NASA space station clean and not just the fronts, but the insides too. If you can take the rims off the tires, it makes it easier to prep. Of course if your rims are straight to begin with you should be good then, but i needed to sand and grind so tire removal was easier.

    with sanding, depending how far you need to go down, you can use a scotchbrite pad or all the way down to a 120 grit. Smoothe and feather all rough edges, pits, goudges, etc...
    If you got the tires off the rims and plan on doing polished aluminum lips, nows a good time to grind any road rash off the lips and/or fillin big goudges. If you have nice aluminum rims but you have a crack, you can have it welded and then cleaned up good as new. Ive fixed a few rims for a few of my friends.

    after sanding and cleaning, i recommend polishing your lips FIRST if you are gonna polish your aluminum lips.
    you do this by sanding down to bare metal if they are painted over. you may also have to do this to get through clear coat off.
    Sand down with a 180-240ish range then work your way up until you get to 1200-2000 grit range. when sanding get ride of the previos ranges swirls before progressing until you have a pretty good looking shine.

    THEN you get your polishing/cutting compounds.
    You need some kind of drill or grinding wheel that can have polishing wheels put on it. Brown, white, and blue are the primary cutting/polishing compounds to use, IN that order too. Use separate wheels for each compound.
    Once polished clean the rims REALLY, REALLY good with mineral spirits or what ever you can find that wont leave a residue.
    THen rinse really good serveral times.

    Let dry completly. dont paint until they are dry.

    Tape off with painters tape everything you dont want painted.
    Paint in light numerous coats.
    3-4 primer
    4-5 color
    5-7 clear
    REmember, color isnt the high gloss stage, clear is. DOnt worry if the color has a few spots that arnt as glossy as others. the clear coat is where that gets fixed.
    Let dry about 15-30minuts between coats.
    After last color coat let sit for 1-24 hours depending on temps. If you have a heat gun you can use that to hasten the drying times but be carful not to have the gun too close.

    Dont let the the rims dry past 24 hours cause you might miss your window for clear coating on top of color and you will have to color/wet sand.
    You need to let the color "vent" as it drys for a few hours. If you dont, you can get bubbles under the clear and ruin your whole effort. huge amount of clear will also do the same.

    once clear coated put them bad boys away for 2-3 days before mounting tires. I would recommend taking it easy on the rims for about a month or two to allow them to fully cure. No drive through carwashes, NO WHEEL CLEANER SOLAVENTS!!, no chrome cleaner stuff, no wax, no nothing. soap and water thats it and often to keep that brake dust off. After about 2 or 3 months you shuold be good to put some wax on them just like you car to shine em up real good and to protect them that much more. after that you should be ok with normal wheel cleaners, but becarful. you dont want to have to do this ALL over again lol
    thanks bro i aprecciate the time to let me knw how to do it,,
    i will post pics when i paint mine,, if they look like yours i will, if they dnt i wont post pix lol

  10. #50
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I think you got that backwards....
    OOPS!!! lol that would be a wierd tire size in the rear lol. Thats like a FWD drag setup lol

    No I MEANT 295s in the rear lol

  11. #51
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    I just order 255/40 17 for the front and 275/40 17 for the rear.

  12. #52
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    ?? why 255s on the fronts?

  13. #53
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Wanted a slightly smaller wheel up front.

  14. #54
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    oh. Ive been running 245s for the longest time. finally gonna join the wide tire gang lol

  15. #55
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    what are the size of the rims?

  16. #56
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    oh. Ive been running 245s for the longest time. finally gonna join the wide tire gang lol

    So have I, my current tires are 245/50 16's. I can't wait to see the new look.

    I will wait to go to 305 or 315s when I get a new rear. I'd be afraid that they would bite down on a lunch and snap the rear.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    what are the size of the rims?

    17x9 YearOne Snowflake

  17. #57
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    OOPS!!! lol that would be a wierd tire size in the rear lol. Thats like a FWD drag setup lol

    No I MEANT 295s in the rear lol
    what size are the wheels?

  18. #58
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    the ones going on are 9.5"x17 fronts and 10"x17" rears

  19. #59
    Senior Member 2001camaroSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    3,508

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    the ones going on are 9.5"x17 fronts and 10"x17" rears
    that'll look good. have you ordered the tires?

  20. #60
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    they are on the way

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Black ZR1 rims or Black C5Z06 rims
    By karpetcm in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM
  2. Wanted: Rims or Rims/Tires Combo
    By BadBlueBird* in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
  3. F/S OEM Vette Rims 18"..all four rims
    By 94 Formula in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 07:25 PM
  4. rims and info on rims for 99 ta
    By raw122 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 06:17 AM
  5. Ws6 rims or 16' chrome t/a rims
    By MapleredT/a in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 04:45 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •