Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need new tires on a budget

This is a discussion on Need new tires on a budget within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by 0rion always run your worst tires on the rear......I understand your thinking but if he has a ...

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    always run your worst tires on the rear......I understand your thinking but if he has a blowout on an old bald tire at 65mph it'd be much safer on the back.
    +1
    A) With like 90% of your breaking power on your front brakes I prefer having tread on the fronts to actually stop and stear in an emergancy.
    B) If you hit rain/water I'd much rather have the rear start to hydroplane before the front.

Better tires on rear might launch you faster but better tires on front might save your life/car.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Has anyone ever put 245's up front instead of the 275's?

I also am fixing to purchase new tires and thought the smaller tire might fix some of the "walking" the car does.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post

I also am fixing to purchase new tires and thought the smaller tire might fix some of the "walking" the car does.
    most like the walking you are experiencing is because of the tire not because of the width.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post

Factory 16" F-bodies came with 245-50R16 (mine included).

From my experience narrower tires tend to “wander” or turn more easily than wide unless you’re catching groves in the road. I’d check your tie rods for play before anything else. The old jack it up, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o’clock and push with one hand and pull with the other and then switch and see if you have play there. Also check the rest of the suspension for play while you have it up, and double check tire pressures. If not maybe an alignment is in order.

But personally I don’t think changing tire size from factory will fix a “wandering” front end issue.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    most like the walking you are experiencing is because of the tire not because of the width.
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    Factory 16" F-bodies came with 245-50R16 (mine included).

From my experience narrower tires tend to “wander” or turn more easily than wide unless you’re catching groves in the road. I’d check your tie rods for play before anything else. The old jack it up, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o’clock and push with one hand and pull with the other and then switch and see if you have play there. Also check the rest of the suspension for play while you have it up, and double check tire pressures. If not maybe an alignment is in order.

But personally I don’t think changing tire size from factory will fix a “wandering” front end issue.
    Everything checks out. Think its just these horrible Oklahoma roads.

My local tire shop can get me Nexen's for 58.00 a piece for the 275/40/17's. Had them on my mustang, they were fairly decent.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I put cheap kuhmos on my red Z and they wanted to follow every slight change in the road. I have bought nothing but good tires since and have experienced nothing but a straight lines. I have been told it has to do with how the tires wear and the tread pattern.

Awaiting Activation
    Everyone thank you all for your helpful info! I went ahead and purchased 4 set of Hankook tires at discounttires since they had a good rebate on them and the reviews were pretty decent on them. Thanks again for your help! I really need to buy a crappy DD so I stop using my TA as a DD.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    Everyone thank you all for your helpful info! I went ahead and purchased 4 set of Hankook tires at discounttires since they had a good rebate on them and the reviews were pretty decent on them. Thanks again for your help! I really need to buy a crappy DD so I stop using my TA as a DD.
    Pick up a V6 'Bird or Camaro.

When I park my TA for the winter I don't miss it as much because I am driving something very similar.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Pick up a V6 'Bird or Camaro.

When I park my TA for the winter I don't miss it as much because I am driving something very similar.
    I live in near Chicago where we have the highest prices in gas, also we get a lot of snow. Are the V6 good in snow? I had to drive my ws6 this winter on summer tires and boy that was a pain lol.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    I live in near Chicago where we have the highest prices in gas, also we get a lot of snow. Are the V6 good in snow? I had to drive my ws6 this winter on summer tires and boy that was a pain lol.
    With 4 good snows she's pretty good, tracks like a mountain goat.

On the summers she can be down right scary in any snow,I found that out when we got an early April snow and I had taken the winters off.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    With 4 good snows she's pretty good, tracks like a mountain goat.

On the summers she can be down right scary in any snow,I found that out when we got an early April snow and I had taken the winters off.
    +1
    I drove an '86 V6 camaro for a couple winters in upstate NY and with snow tires she wasn't too bad, obviously not like a FWD or 4x4 but not bad, Ice patches are the only touchy part. Doughnuts are fun and a 5-speed I think is easier in the snow than auto because you can downshift and use the rear to slow you down in addition to front brakes.

just me 2cents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information