Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

michelins pilot A/S missing chunks

I have bought 4 brand new michelin pilot A/S for my TA. I had low air in one of my front tires and I started to inspect them. I noticed that the inner and outer parts of the tire are missing chunks of rubber. I started a search on google and found more people with the same problem. It only happens to the front ones the rear ones are good. The thread is also half way in the fronts.

I keep the tire pressure at 35-40 psi and i check it bi weekly. I don't race with them. I do DD and long trip on highway. I bought the front at 115k miles on 12/2/2011. The car has 125k today. I'm going tomorrow to the tire shop to ask about this and get the tire leak fixed. Anyone else since this issue with the Michelin Pilot A/S?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Very odd. Is it only on one or all four?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

nope it is happenning in both front tires. The rears seems to be fine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the only time I've ever heard of an issue like this it was a defect with the tires but I don't remember the brand. Where did you buy them? Might also want to contact Michelin directly. Raise some hell and I have a feeling you'll get them replaced. Michelin is an expensive tire and a pretty decent company....hard for me not to think they'll stand behind their product.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I had a problem with Michelin LTX AT's on my Lexus RX. They seemed to wear in an uneven pattern even though the front end was fine and so was the pressure and alignment. I called Michelin, A rep came to the tire store and told them to repalce all four tires at no cost. I then ran those replacement tires 102k miles without an issue.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

WOW- how old are they? I dont mean how long youve had them but check the manufacture date on the side of the tire. ( DOT XX last two digits are year of manufacture date)The wrinkley lines in between the treads looks like old tire deterioration/ozone damage, It takes alot to take a chunk that size out of some good rubber i think.Also agree with ^ members who say to raise hell those tires arent cheap!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The dot date on the fronts appears to be 2012

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok so i went to the tire shop today. 1st my leak was cuase by corrosion in the wheel (again), they cleaned it up good. As far as the tires the guy told me he has seen the issue before. He told is not as severe as others he seen. He still called Michelin and he explained to them that the tire is missing chunks and has some dry rot. Michelin stated they don't see it as a defective tire (at yet) and they offred a 30 % credit as good will. I asked him about the tire mileage been only 10k and it is half way. The guy at the shop told that once the tire reach its life he can calll them back and get additional credit. He told me that it safe to drive them. To keep an eye on the tire pressure and the rubber falling off. If it gets worse to bring it back or by the time the tire reaches its life he will call michelin back and then request the credit for not meeting the tire mileage and the rubber issue. I'm not too happy with michelin, i mean i wasn't expecting to get a free tire but 30% for a tire that i just bought
    10k ago is not fair. They actually showed me the tires out of the car and they are not as bad as they looked. There is an issue with them but michelin doesnt want to admit it.

I guess i will keep an eye on them and wait until it reaches its life. The sad part is that when I need new ones I will have to buy michelin again since the credit will be from michelin...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well.....hopefully you don't die in a firey crash between now and then I would call Michelin myself and explain I'm allergic to death and if they would like I can talk to a lawyer so that if something does happen to me my son will be changing the name of his new business to "Zach's Michelin"

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ Agree- If you do try and contact them try to get an address for the corporate office or ceo of Michellin & keep copies of all letters or e-mails- also you may want to use Yelp or some form of social media to further your dissatisfaction with their product.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I had a problem with Michelin LTX AT's on my Lexus RX. They seemed to wear in an uneven pattern even though the front end was fine and so was the pressure and alignment. I called Michelin, A rep came to the tire store and told them to repalce all four tires at no cost. I then ran those replacement tires 102k miles without an issue.
    102K miles? I've never heard of a tire lasting that long, ever.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    102K miles? I've never heard of a tire lasting that long, ever.
    Yes, 102k. Mostly highway miles. I always rotate at 7k and do my alignment every 6mo. (Firestone lifetime alignment program). Hard to believe but look up the reviews at Tire Rack and you will find people who have gone further on these tires.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's incredible. I thought I did well getting 70K out of mine. I bet I only got that because I rotated every 6K miles too.

Jay- that sucks. I would definitely call them yourself and reiterate how you feel.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Michelins are mostly luxury tires. They wear prematurely and look like they're low on air despite being properly inflated.

Thread Information