86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I messed up my wheels bad!

I washed my car yesterday and grabbed some wheel cleaner that i don't normally use and after spraying in on all four wheels and washing it off it left the entire wheels with dull streaks almost over the entire wheels. I'm so pissed right now i've only had my torque thrusts two's for like two months.

After i saw what happened it says on the back of the cleaner for use with plastic hub cabs,chrome, anodized and clear coated wheels. It never specifically says don't use on aluminum wheels. But i know i should have read the label first.

Anyway i've been polishing my first wheel for nearly an hour and they still don't look close to like it did before. I have a polishing kit i bought from eastwood and i've been using the goblets and buf bobs with some white rouge and some red rouge i bought at the jewelery store and there are so many tight places that are tough to get. Especail at the ninety degree angle that goes along the inside of the rim its impossible to get all the way in there. Also i've noticed spots where i've polished that now have swirl marks. Its my first time using the kit so i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

This really sucks, instead of detailing my car i have to spend my day off trying to get my wheels to look close to what they looked like before.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

I have had the same thing happen to my pollished eagles and all I did was take a mothers powerball to them with some mothers billet pollish and they looked as good as new and as far as the wheel cleaner I use eagle one's pollished wheel cleaner and it works great.

Impounded

Black
    1999 WS.6

hey ws6 you got the fog light hid kit yet?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah i tried some mother's aluminum polish. It works but there are so many tight places that you can't get to so there are still alot of dull marks. I spent about 2 1/2 hours on one wheel and its only looks about 80 percent as good as it did before the mistake.

Plus i now i have a few scuff marks on the wheel from the drill sliding of the surface and cating the metal rotating piece. This is really frustrating if i had the rims for a few years i don't think i'd be as pissed.

I always use eagle one wheel cleaner but i was just doing a quick wash so i figured i'd use some other stuff i had sitting around.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmoke99 View Post
    hey ws6 you got the fog light hid kit yet?
    No, unfortunatly not yet I've had some unexpected and much needed repairs to do to my home. (new furnace and new septic system) I have not had the extra cash yet, but I have an extra 9006 hid kit that I have sold possibly this week so if I do I will get the fog kit this weekend.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Yeah i tried some mother's aluminum polish. It works but there are so many tight places that you can't get to so there are still alot of dull marks. I spent about 2 1/2 hours on one wheel and its only looks about 80 percent as good as it did before the mistake.

Plus i now i have a few scuff marks on the wheel from the drill sliding of the surface and cating the metal rotating piece. This is really frustrating if i had the rims for a few years i don't think i'd be as pissed.

I always use eagle one wheel cleaner but i was just doing a quick wash so i figured i'd use some other stuff i had sitting around.
    Oh well at least you can look at it as a lesson learned like I did. I guarantee I will not use any thing other pollished wheel cleaner again. You can also try some jewelers rouge, a little inside secret that works really well.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

well this weekend i tried a new strategy on polishin my wheels (after burnin up a few of my buff bobs from pushin so hard and so long) and it worked wonders. . . 2000 grit wet sand paper. my cheap ass wheels have never shined this much . . you can get in all the nooks and crannies, then use your white jewlers rouge and buff bobs (i actually skipped this step, its up to you), then use your favorite buff and mothers. . . i dont know what kit you got from eastwood but my favorite it this:

i like the largest flat buff, it allows you to get in the tough places without your drill/air tool gettin in the way.

red
    2002 ss camaro

once you spend that much yime you should really think about clear powder coating it may cost about 300 bucks but if you only have to wipe them clean from now on wouldn't it be worth it. like these!!!

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Did the clear powdercoat dull out the chrome? I would think it would take some of the chrome shine out of the rim.

red
    2002 ss camaro

just slightly but not enough to make a real difference. the key is the polish that they recieve before the powder coat. but to not have to polish them I'll take it.

Thread Information