Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Help me understand tread depth and drag radials....

This is a discussion on Help me understand tread depth and drag radials.... within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Those are not the same tire The ET Street Radial II's have a much different tread pattern than the ET ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Those are not the same tire

The ET Street Radial II's have a much different tread pattern than the ET Streets. ET Streets are much more aggressive.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 08-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here's a link to Mickey Thompson's site where they list their different DOT Race Tires.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php

I got the ET Street Radials, which basically have one groove on each side. I didn't realize they had just an ET Street also. So I guess it's a "Radial" the one I was speaking of, but not the Radial II lol. Too many choices!!!

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I just read this The Mickey Thompson ET Street is Dead. Now it looks like more choices...I read that the e/t street is very much a track tire and the side walls have a lot of give on the street where the e/t II's and the Nitto's are a much better street tire with a stiffer side wall and in the end that is what I'm looking for..also they have a little more water wicking tread so if I head for a track day I can put them on and drive with no worries.. I should be ordering the NT05R's later tonight or in the morning.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

We are still talking about the ET Street? I didn't order the ET Street lol. I ordered the ET Street Radial.

I have plenty of friends running the ET Street Radials without issue and love them. It's a DOT approved tire so I am not worried about running it on the street. As far as the ET Street - I do not know. Don't know anyone with it. The tread design is totally different than the ET Street Radial. The Radial looks VERY similar to the Nitto NT05R....and has been out much longer.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am guessing they still sell them all unless their site just isn't updated? I ordered mine through Amazon...I might have to check the tire date code. I don't recall the shipper, but I'm pretty sure it was sold through M/T.

Btw...I have nothing against the NT05R lol. It looks like a great tire. My NT555R's were for the most part. They still hook pretty good on the street as long as it's warm out.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Btw...I have nothing against the NT05R lol. It looks like a great tire. My NT555R's were for the most part. They still hook pretty good on the street as long as it's warm out.
    I know I just was thinking you were talking about getting more of a track only tire. I'm looking for a more street but bad ass track tire and everything I have read the NT05R fits that bill and after judging from my wife's reaction when I told her I was ordering them the lower priced Nitto is much better than the MT....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Ok. Btw - mine were only 168 a piece with free shipping. That'd be cheaper than the NT05R's.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Oh, and it's my mistake earlier for calling them ET Streets originally and not ET Street RADIALS. The ET Street tires do indeed "wobble" I read over on Tech...plus as you said, they're more track driven as the side wall is weaker. So, that's good to know for anyone ever considering those.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Ok. Btw - mine were only 168 a piece with free shipping. That'd be cheaper than the NT05R's.
    Where you get them? Link if you can. Lowest I found on Amazon was $226ea friend of mine just put a set his car and he paid $237ea
    Last edited by kingls1; 08-29-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nvm. I'm a hot mess in this thread. That's what I paid for the fronts lol. The rears were $224 each.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 08-29-2015 at 03:53 AM.

Silver

I think we are on the same page now. Just took us about 10 posts to get there!! Your going to have to call me next trip in so we can get together. For as many trips to J-Town as you take we should be thinking more alike..

Order has been placed for the NT05R $392 pair free S/H that's just $196ea cheapest I found anywhere.
    Last edited by kingls1; 08-29-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I have decided to go with the Nitto NT555 275/40/18 tires for the rear and will be ordering them this evening.....hope i made a good choice.
    I have these tires on my car. In the same OE size. They are a good riding tire on the street/highway, and a grippy and safe feeling tire in wet conditions though I tend to keep out of rain as much as possible. You made a good choice. You might just not love their track performance as far as grip goes but that is what drag radials are for.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Silver

Like I mentioned in the other tread Nitto recommends putting their R-series tire on the rear where traction is needed

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
    I have these tires on my car. In the same OE size. They are a good riding tire on the street/highway, and a grippy and safe feeling tire in wet conditions though I tend to keep out of rain as much as possible. You made a good choice. You might just not love their track performance as far as grip goes but that is what drag radials are for.
    I'm not too concerned with the track performance as this car rarely sees the track....thank you for your input as far as the street performance tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information