2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Good summer tires?

I need to get some new tires for my dd. It's a 2010 Nissan Sentra SR. Tire size is 205/55-16. I'm going to be doing some autocross with it so I want to get summer tires instead of all-seasons, but I'm not sure which ones to go with, since I've never bought any before. Any suggestions?

note: I'm not spending $600 on tires. Let's try and keep it around the $400's.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

600/400 per tire or set?

Kumho Victoracers v700.. 265/45/16's are what I run.. Super sticky and only ~$600-800 per set..

Best tire I ever had on my car.. Not a wet weather tire tho dry summer only.. They are an autocross tire and WILL be bald in 3 months of normal driving..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-28-2011 at 07:56 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    600/400 per tire or set?

Kumho Victoracers v700.. 265/45/16's are what I run.. Super sticky and only ~$600-800 per set..

Best tire I ever had on my car.. Not a wet weather tire tho dry summer only.. They are an autocross tire and WILL be bald in 3 months of normal driving..
    Shop around you can get these cheaper elsewhere if you deside to try them..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The VictoRacer V700 is the original competition member of the Kumho high performance tire family. It is a DOT-legal, race-winning tire which, by capturing national championships at the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Tire Rack Solo II Nationals and SCCA Road Racing Runoffs, has proven its capabilities in both autocross and road racing competition.

The VictoRacer V700 features an asymmetric tread design molded at 5/32" to 6/32" of tread depth in its two major circumferential grooves. Its tread design features extra wide tread blocks for its outer shoulder (which comprise about 1/3 of the tire's tread width) to maximize cornering grip while promoting tread life (when new, the shoulder blocks are interrupted only by shallow, 1/32" deep lateral grooves). The center and inner shoulder portions of the tread design are comprised of short, stable tread blocks to further enhance handling while providing some wet traction when new (or at near full tread depth). The V700 features a tread compound specifically developed to provide maximum grip, handling and treadlife.

Internally the V700 has two steel belts reinforced with two nylon cap plies to help stabilize the tread area and provide V-speed rated (for 13" & 14" rim diameter sizes) or Z-speed rated (for 15", 16", and 17" diameter sizes) capability. Additionally, three rayon carcass plies with sidewall stiffeners provide high temperature durability and quick steering response. Attractively priced, the Kumho V700 is designed to provide the best traction and treadlife for your racing dollar.

Important Notice: Kumho VictoRacer V700 tires must be shaved to 3/32" - 4/32" of remaining tread depth for any track use in dry conditions.

Kumho advises that the VictoRacer V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry track conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

Tire heat cycling will not prevent the excessive localized wear of full tread depth tires but will continue to enhance the tire consistency and wear on shaved tires.

The VictoRacer V700 should only be used at full tread depth (6/32") on the track in wet conditions.

Last edited by Smittro; 01-28-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

these are supposed to be really good. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes I was planning on getting these for my CTS-V if i still have it in the spring.

These rank highly as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

600/400 per tire or set?

$400 per set. $600 per set is a little bit more than I can afford right now. Especially if they're gonna be bald in 3 months......... Plus, I live on the coast and we have rain all summer long so I HAVE to have a tire that can do wet weather.
    Shop around you can get these cheaper elsewhere if you deside to try them..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

The VictoRacer V700 is the original competition member of the Kumho high performance tire family. It is a DOT-legal, race-winning tire which, by capturing national championships at the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Tire Rack Solo II Nationals and SCCA Road Racing Runoffs, has proven its capabilities in both autocross and road racing competition.

The VictoRacer V700 features an asymmetric tread design molded at 5/32" to 6/32" of tread depth in its two major circumferential grooves. Its tread design features extra wide tread blocks for its outer shoulder (which comprise about 1/3 of the tire's tread width) to maximize cornering grip while promoting tread life (when new, the shoulder blocks are interrupted only by shallow, 1/32" deep lateral grooves). The center and inner shoulder portions of the tread design are comprised of short, stable tread blocks to further enhance handling while providing some wet traction when new (or at near full tread depth). The V700 features a tread compound specifically developed to provide maximum grip, handling and treadlife.

Internally the V700 has two steel belts reinforced with two nylon cap plies to help stabilize the tread area and provide V-speed rated (for 13" & 14" rim diameter sizes) or Z-speed rated (for 15", 16", and 17" diameter sizes) capability. Additionally, three rayon carcass plies with sidewall stiffeners provide high temperature durability and quick steering response. Attractively priced, the Kumho V700 is designed to provide the best traction and treadlife for your racing dollar.

Important Notice: Kumho VictoRacer V700 tires must be shaved to 3/32" - 4/32" of remaining tread depth for any track use in dry conditions.

Kumho advises that the VictoRacer V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry track conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

Tire heat cycling will not prevent the excessive localized wear of full tread depth tires but will continue to enhance the tire consistency and wear on shaved tires.

The VictoRacer V700 should only be used at full tread depth (6/32") on the track in wet conditions.

Click for full size
    Damn. They sound really good, but again, I cant have those on my daily driver. I could never afford to have them as everyday tires too. I drive a good 2k miles a month with my job.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    these are supposed to be really good. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes I was planning on getting these for my CTS-V if i still have it in the spring.

These rank highly as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    Those Bridgestone's look pretty good. They're only $100 per tire for my size, which is right in the price range I was looking at. Thanks for pointing those out.

What I might end up doing is getting new wheels and tires and just getting some all-seasons on the new rims and then I could get really good tires, like the Kumho's on my stock wheels. (I have to have the good tires on the stock wheels for autocross to stay within the class that I run). That's probably more than I can afford right now though. I guess I really need to sit down and find out what my final budget is.
    Last edited by KnightmareWS6; 01-28-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareWS6 View Post
    Those Bridgestone's look pretty good. They're only $100 per tire for my size, which is right in the price range I was looking at. Thanks for pointing those out.

What I might end up doing is getting new wheels and tires and just getting some all-seasons on the new rims and then I could get really good tires, like the Kumho's on my stock wheels. (I have to have the good tires on the stock wheels for autocross to stay within the class that I run). That's probably more than I can afford right now though. I guess I really need to sit down and find out what my final budget is.
    youre welcome. there are some good options out there just gotta decide what you want.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

$400 per set. $600 per set is a little bit more than I can afford right now. Especially if they're gonna be bald in 3 months......... Plus, I live on the coast and we have rain all summer long so I HAVE to have a tire that can do wet weather.

Damn. They sound really good, but again, I cant have those on my daily driver. I could never afford to have them as everyday tires too. I drive a good 2k miles a month with my job.

I understand, my bad.. I ran them for the awesome grip they had.. Even @ the end of summer when they were bald they still had crazy grip..

Good luck in your hunt.. Finding a good tire for the price can be a pita sometimes..

I ran Kumho Sport tires before the auto-x tires and it would spin even with the ASR on..lol

But if you drove normal they were a pretty good all around tire @ a good price..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

This is what came on the car originally. They're not bad tires. They grip decently, but not good enough for autocross.

I'm debating between these two:

BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Both are W rated and are "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires. The Bridgestone's are $12 more per tire. Both have the exact same ratings from what I can tell. The Bridgestone's have a 5 year, 40,000 miles warranty while the BFG's have a 5 year 60,000 miles warranty. And, with the BFG's, I can get them through Sam's Club for $120.83 per tire, which I'm pretty sure includes installation. If I bought them from Tire Rack, they would be $106 per tire, plus about $50 for shipping. And on top of that, I would have to take them to a shop to get them installed.

So, using this post as my scratchpaper and thought process, I do believe that I'm gonna go with the BFG's at Sam's, unless of course anyone has information that would prove the Bridgestone's to be better?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

This is what came on the car originally. They're not bad tires. They grip decently, but not good enough for autocross.

I'm debating between these two:

BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

Both are W rated and are "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires. The Bridgestone's are $12 more per tire. Both have the exact same ratings from what I can tell. The Bridgestone's have a 5 year, 40,000 miles warranty while the BFG's have a 5 year 60,000 miles warranty. And, with the BFG's, I can get them through Sam's Club for $120.83 per tire, which I'm pretty sure includes installation. If I bought them from Tire Rack, they would be $106 per tire, plus about $50 for shipping. And on top of that, I would have to take them to a shop to get them installed.

So, using this post as my scratchpaper and thought process, I do believe that I'm gonna go with the BFG's at Sam's, unless of course anyone has information that would prove the Bridgestone's to be better?
    i thought you wanted summer tires and not all seasons?

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

I did, but I decided I'm gonna get another set of stock wheels in a month or two, so I'll put summer tires on those. I gave in to what was more practical for now. I

Thread Information