White
    2001 SS #3504

Factory 01 SS vs ZR1 wheels

Ok a guy around here has a set of black ZR1 wheels with a polished lip and he wants to trade them to me for my stock SS wheels. So what I am asking here is, are my wheels worth more or less than the ZR1's? Also did GM make the ZR1's this way or could they be aftermarket. sorry I have no pics of the wheels. Also keep in mind my car is white, give me your opinions on this combo. I know I've seen pics of it this way on here I just want opinions, good and bad. Thanks..

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

The ZR1 style that came in the early Camaro SS's were Silver. Unless someone painted and polished those wheels, his are probably aftermarket which means they may be pretty heavy. Black/polished lip would look nice on your car though ... although for me, the black thing got old after a while and the classic silver or chrome kinda won

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

GM never made the wheels black w/polished lip...

IMO, keep your rims. black rims are ugly. if you want black rims powdercoat your 10-spokes black. look at the pic in my profile for reference. that is the only way i would EVER put black wheels on my SS...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    GM never made the wheels black w/polished lip...

IMO, keep your rims. black rims are ugly. if you want black rims powdercoat your 10-spokes black. look at the pic in my profile for reference. that is the only way i would EVER put black wheels on my SS...
    Wow Nice pic. I like the looks of that and the cars not bad either. LOL Well I took a closer look at the wheels he has and they had a bit of curb rash so I said no. Thanks for the help though.

Black "ZR1"s with a polished lip are aftermarket wheels, and can be had new in 17x9.5 (an improvment over the factory 17x9 size IMHO) for about 450 from several sources.

Factory chrome 10 spoke SS wheels were only available from SLP, are no longer available new anywhere, and cost around 450+ each new when you could get 'em. They do however have a tendancy to pit and peel over time; they are therefore a lot more work to maintain, as wheels MUST be removed and have inside /back of rim cleaned and polished every few months to keep them in like new condition.

If you're talking about the painted 10 spoke SS wheels, they aren't nearly as expensive, and can still be bought new, but are worth about 2-3 times what the ZR1 knockoffs are worth.

So, the SS rims are worth a LOT more than the ZR1s, but the ZR1s are a little wider, and looks are personal opinion... but I did like the way they looked on my teal Z28, as I had black behind the T-tops, and I thought the polished lip was JUST enough bling without being too much. However, on both my black SS 'vert and my dark blue SS 'vert, I liked the chrome 10 spokes better.

Hope this helps.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
    Black "ZR1"s with a polished lip are aftermarket wheels, and can be had new in 17x9.5 (an improvment over the factory 17x9 size IMHO) for about 450 from several sources.

Factory chrome 10 spoke SS wheels were only available from SLP, are no longer available new anywhere, and cost around 450+ each new when you could get 'em. They do however have a tendancy to pit and peel over time; they are therefore a lot more work to maintain, as wheels MUST be removed and have inside /back of rim cleaned and polished every few months to keep them in like new condition.

If you're talking about the painted 10 spoke SS wheels, they aren't nearly as expensive, and can still be bought new, but are worth about 2-3 times what the ZR1 knockoffs are worth.

So, the SS rims are worth a LOT more than the ZR1s, but the ZR1s are a little wider, and looks are personal opinion... but I did like the way they looked on my teal Z28, as I had black behind the T-tops, and I thought the polished lip was JUST enough bling without being too much. However, on both my black SS 'vert and my dark blue SS 'vert, I liked the chrome 10 spokes better.

Hope this helps.
    yea tanks for the info. I would love to have the polished version of mine but hey you can't find them. So I think I'll just stick with mine until I can buy some more, maybe TT2's or somthing of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    yea tanks for the info. I would love to have the polished version of mine but hey you can't find them. So I think I'll just stick with mine until I can buy some more, maybe TT2's or somthing of that nature.
    LOL, oddly enough I have a set for sale, chrome 10 spokes, here:
    http://easternfbody.com/forum/showth...threadid=48837

Thread Information