Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Drag radial tire pressure

This is a discussion on Drag radial tire pressure within the Wheels and Tires forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Any drag radial on a whopping 18" rim is going to struggle some anyway no matter ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Any drag radial on a whopping 18" rim is going to struggle some anyway no matter what tire pressure. Without much sidewall you are really going to have to experiment with tire pressures.

I run mine down as low as 13 psi at the track which works best, after the burnout and return road back to the pits they have 16-17 lbs. and I have to adjust accordingly.

But I only run sticky tires on a 15" wheel and won't use anything else, and prefer at least a 28" tire.
    When I calculated side wall with his tire profile it calculated to be more than mine. Did I calculate it wrong? I calculated his to be around 5.23" and mine is like 4.13". I know they are both smaller than a tire you're speaking of, but wanted to be sure I was doing it correctly.

Is there a general rule of thumb for side wall versus air pressure? More side wall, less air pressure?
    It's on jackstands.

I ran the formula for his tire height and come up with 28.4" That's actually better than I would have thought. Pretty tall tire for an 18" wheel. I knew MT was making 28" drag radials for the 17" wheels. I guess others have expanded into the 18" market. So I'd say you figured it right Jon.

That's good to see. You want more sidewall for a drag racing application, which is why MT came out with the taller tire for the 17" wheel people out there.
    I tend to lean toward your thinking about tire pressures and sidewall height. Although I've never run such a short sidewall in a drag race application, but I'm not sure that would act right with really low pressures. Something I'd like to experiment with sometime though. With very short sidewalls there isn't any room there to cussion the blow, and makes it harder to hook. Very stable at high speed though. Generally you will see a drop in 60 foot times with the right tire/wheel setup. But everyone wants the modern look I guess.

Black
    01 z28

I knew I needed a 28 inch tall tire to stay off the limiter through the traps so that's kinda what I was looking for when I stumbled on to these radials. I really was looking to trade my tires an wheels for some drag lites and tires but I'm not sure I want to now. I do love the way a camaro looks on them though but I'm not sure if it worst trading my z06s for some. Just depends I guess. If I can't get it to hook on the 18s ill try to find a 17 or 15

Quote Originally Posted by ab923 View Post
    I knew I needed a 28 inch tall tire to stay off the limiter through the traps so that's kinda what I was looking for when I stumbled on to these radials. I really was looking to trade my tires an wheels for some drag lites and tires but I'm not sure I want to now. I do love the way a camaro looks on them though but I'm not sure if it worst trading my z06s for some. Just depends I guess. If I can't get it to hook on the 18s ill try to find a 17 or 15
    Actually, I wasn't even aware that 28" tires were out there for the 18" wheels. Even though the sidewall isn't as tall as a smaller wheel would have, this might still work fine for you, so I wouldn't give up on it yet. I've heard the 28" tires work nice on the 17's, they've been out there for a couple years now I think. 18's aren't much different.

I run a 28" MT on 15" wheels on a different car, and my father runs 29.5" MT's on his 15" wheels.
    Since I'm likely to keep the factory 17" wheels on our 4th gen, I will probably give the 28" MT's a try on the 17's and see how they work.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I can't wait to get some Mickey Thompson's. My 60' time is dismal; 1.906.

Black
    01 z28

And still running 11.50-11.60? If your 1.90 is dismal, what would you call my 2.08? Lol

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I ran 26" et streets on 17's and I was able to cut 1.6 60's with 4.10's running them at like 15psi, those were some great tires

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

And still running 11.50-11.60? If your 1.90 is dismal, what would you call my 2.08? Lol
    I probably have a lot more power than you. I'm hoping for an 11.1-11.2 if I can get down into a 1.5X 60'. May be challenging since I'm a stick. I haven't ran my car since my power adder.

2.08 isn't bad at all with street tires. I would say that is pretty standard from what I have seen.

1.80's on stock rubber here

Black
    01 z28

I'm seriously hoping I can cut some low 1.90s or maybe 1.80s with these radials. I've heard pretty regularly that .1 off your 60' is good for about .4 off your et. I'd say that's a good ball park since I cut a 2.24 and went 13.51 and followed it with a 2.08 and 13.12. With this as a guide line, if a cut a 1.90 I should be somewhere around 12.50 or better I HOPE! Also, anyone think a 110 and 109 trap speed is just a tad high for 13.1?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I'm seriously hoping I can cut some low 1.90s or maybe 1.80s with these radials. I've heard pretty regularly that .1 off your 60' is good for about .4 off your et. I'd say that's a good ball park since I cut a 2.24 and went 13.51 and followed it with a 2.08 and 13.12. With this as a guide line, if a cut a 1.90 I should be somewhere around 12.50 or better I HOPE! Also, anyone think a 110 and 109 trap speed is just a tad high for 13.1?
    It is! You should be in the 12's with that trap

Black
    01 z28

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    It is! You should be in the 12's with that trap
    That's what I wanted to hear lol. Kinda thought so but I'm still fairly new to this if you couldn't tell. Less than 20 passes between my z and el camino prolly.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

.1 off your 60' is good for. 2 off the big end. So your. 2 better 60' time resulted in a. 4 off of your 1/4.

Let us know how you make out with those tires.

Black
    01 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    .1 off your 60' is good for. 2 off the big end. So your. 2 better 60' time resulted in a. 4 off of your 1/4.

Let us know how you make out with those tires.
    Well also I was really short shiftin it I think. Usually I shift right at redline,
    Sometimes even bump the limiter as I'm pullin it out of gear and on the 13.1 pass I had a major case of moron and couldn't stop shifting at around 5600-5800. I really feel like I had a 12 in that pass had I drove like I did the rest of the night. But it was late so I went for one more pass and blew the tires off again and went home.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I shift right at 6,200 RPM, or as close to that as possible. Your rev limiter should be set to 6,250 RPM if you have the stock PCM settings.

Someone can confirm my statement above.

Have you had the car DYNO tuned? Your graph will show your peak power and at what RPM.

You want to shift so you stay in your peak power band. If you're shifting too early, you're leaving a lot on the table.

I would agree that your car is capable of 12's as-is with more track time.

Black
    01 z28

I don't think the car has been tuned, the kid I bought It from said it had a cheater cam in it and was ported and polished but I'm almost positive those were just sales pitches. It does have long tubes on it though and I've heard that the cars won't idle worth a crap if they've got longtubes and untuned. But with the tech 2 on it the fuel trims vary from 13-18% positive which tells me it's untuned and pulling I more air than the computer thinks it should. Also had rear 02 codes,
    CAGS, air pump code with o2 sims. All that tells me it's untuned so I just try and shift at redline.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

It'll idle fine if its untuned with LT's but if its giving you all those codes then it definitely is untuned, send it to frost!

Black
    01 z28

Well I've decided I probably won't make it back to the trac this year considering I've gotta make the 65 mile drive to gateway but I solder the wires back into the plug of my gtech and took a little drive to a nice flat spot and let It rip. dropped the nittos to 15 lbs and went 12.88 at 114.7. I think it always reads a little high as far as trap speed goes but it was pretty much dead on with et. Looks like I got what I wanted now I've just gotta experiment with pressure and figure out what it likes best!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information