Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Does 18's = SLOWER CAR?

Thinking about getting 18'' chrome C6's all the way around, just wondering how much it would hurt my performance? Ride quality?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    Thinking about getting 18'' chrome C6's all the way around, just wondering how much it would hurt my performance? Ride quality?
    you wont notice it in a street car, you may see slightly slower track times tho.

I'd go for it...

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thats what I figured, If I decide to go to the track ill just put the stock rims back on there.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    you wont notice it in a street car, you may see slightly slower track times tho.

I'd go for it...
    Curious as to an explanation?

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post

I'd go for it...
    slower times at the track.. i would have to disagree with you on that buddy.. I ran a 12.9@109Mph almost 110mph.. and I have 18x9.5 all the way around.. mods includ.. SLP MASS and SLP CAI... thats it...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Curious as to an explanation?
    they MIGHT...

its a larger dia. wheel which means there is more wheel and tire weight than a smaller size wheel/tire combo. this means added rotational mass that will take more power to turn them than previously with a smaller wheel/tire...

now, what the weight difference is, depends on the weight of the wheel and the tires versus the old. the time might be marginally slower (or not), they might not be, as there are a whole host of other varibles that come into play being on the track...

it is known that larger wheels to affect both acceleration and deceleration in regards to all vehicles. again, how much more would need to be tested under 'controlled and uniform' conditions...

if people dont think larger wheels/tires affect times (accelration/deceleration), then why do people put 15" drag lites on their car over 17/18" rims at the track or before going to the track...? because its less rotational mass which means more power to move the car down the track than just getting the car up and moving to get down the track...

saying running a larger wheel/tire doesnt hurt, is like saying that removing any un-necessary weight from your car wont make your car quicker, yet adding weight wont make you slower...the shit doesnt add up...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    they MIGHT...

its a larger dia. wheel which means there is more wheel and tire weight than a smaller size wheel/tire combo. this means added rotational mass that will take more power to turn them than previously with a smaller wheel/tire...

now, what the weight difference is, depends on the weight of the wheel and the tires versus the old. the time might be marginally slower (or not), they might not be, as there are a whole host of other varibles that come into play being on the track...

it is known that larger wheels to affect both acceleration and deceleration in regards to all vehicles. again, how much more would need to be tested under 'controlled and uniform' conditions...

if people dont think larger wheels/tires affect times (accelration/deceleration), then why do people put 15" drag lites on their car over 17/18" rims at the track or before going to the track...? because its less rotational mass which means more power to move the car down the track than just getting the car up and moving to get down the track...

saying running a larger wheel/tire doesnt hurt, is like saying that removing any un-necessary weight from your car wont make your car quicker, yet adding weight wont make you slower...the shit doesnt add up...
    I agree about what you are saying on rational mass and everthing.. but if he is stepin up from a 17 to an 18.. there not gonna be that much of a difference.. especially nothin you are gonna notice when drivin the car..

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

I went from 275 /40/ 17's to 295 /35 /18's and didn't notice any difference at all in ride quality but it seemed to handle better. as far as at the track a real enthusiast is going to have track wheels and tires so you don't waste your street tires. besides I don't know of a real 18" drag tire worth having.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by maxwax View Post
    I went from 275 /40/ 17's to 295 /35 /18's and didn't notice any difference at all in ride quality but it seemed to handle better. as far as at the track a real enthusiast is going to have track wheels and tires so you don't waste your street tires. besides I don't know of a real 18" drag tire worth having.
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    295/35/18s at all 4 corners?? or just the rears?

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Just the rear.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Just the rear.
    aahhh i thought it looked a lil higher!!! i like it..looks good

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Anyone have any problems with bending or chipping the rims by hitting pot holes or anything like that, since the tires are so much thinner with 18s? My rims on my TA now are 16s so I would be stepping up 2 inches.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    they MIGHT...

Agreed!

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    Anyone have any problems with bending or chipping the rims by hitting pot holes or anything like that, since the tires are so much thinner with 18s? My rims on my TA now are 16s so I would be stepping up 2 inches.
    I try to avoid driving while sleeping , that keeps me off the curbs and out of the pot holes. j/k

No,I have only had th 18" wheels on my car for a couple of weeks now. I can probably answer that question a year from now.

Silver
    2002 Z28

1.) 18s are almost always going to weigh more than 16s or 17s, so the effect of a greater rotational mass will have negative effects on track times, not huge, but there, none the less.
    2.) Since most people use low profile tires on 18s, they are typically of equivalent height, so they won't have any drag effects (similiar to lowering gear ratio), but as a result of less tire profile, they won't be able to absorb torque offset as well on launch, and therefore won't hook as well (street tire to street tire, obviously).
    3.) Just do it, they look good.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

It will very slightly hurt 1/4 miles performance. .1 max. But should giver better handling.

Also note that tires can be heavy too. When people weigh wheels stock vs new, they don't have the tires on. The new tires are going to weigh less if the same width.

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Click for full size

Click for full size

that camaro looks f'in sweet where did you get them black stripes @?
    1999 Trans Am M6 330rwhp 343ft/lb, slp long tube headers, hi flow cats, loudmouth exhaust, slp lid, ceramic clutch, pro 5.0 shifter, slp hood, 20% tint, 18" z06 rims black.. security system: KIMBER CDP II .45

2002 GMC Seirra short box Z71 BOSS 20's

2005 Cadillac CTS-V

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

they are some that we designed and installed at my shop.

And thanks for the comment.

I went from 275 /40/ 17's to 295 /35 /18's and didn't notice any difference at all in ride quality but it seemed to handle better.
    your car handles better b/c you went to a much wider and thinner side-wall tire.

As far as the bigger wheels hurting acceleration, look at it this way; if you have one wheel that is 5" in diameter, and one that is 50" in diameter, which will be harder to spin? Now downsize that into more practical terms. A 18" wheel will rev slightly slower than a 16", but given the fact that you're gonna have new tires on them will most likely make up that problem and then some.

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

they are some that we designed and installed at my shop.

And thanks for the comment.

how much you gettin for the set up to do my car with...... they fit the same on the t/a?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information